CLOSE YOUR EYES. TAKE A DEEP BREATH. OPEN YOUR HEART.

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR
High School Yearbook Photo

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight
HELLO STRANGER ... IT SEEMS LIKE A MIGHTY LONG TIME!

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa Claus... and a Volume 10 of Dueling Doo-Wops!



 WHY THE LONG FACE, 

 SHADY? 





  WHY?  

 I'LL TELL YOU WHY. 

 I'M ALL VERKLEMPT 

 BECAUSE THIS IS 

 THE LAST VOLUME OF 

 DUELING DOO-WOPS! 

 WAAAAAAAA!!! 




Dueling Doo-Wops, the mammoth 10-part series
that began in 2011, ends here and now with one
last stack of knocked-out nifties of the past.
When all is said and spun, Dell Rat Ron and
I will have racked up more than 120 RBI's 
--- the "R" for "Records Batted In!"


The italicized phrases
above represent some
of the glib top 40 radio
patter that I borrowed
from Philadelphia radio
legend Joe Niagara of
WIBG or Wibbage as the
iconic station was called.


The Rockin' Bird, as Joe was nicknamed,
loved doo-wop and played many of the
old gold platters featured in this series.

It makes me sad to bring our doo-wop party to an end
but there's no time for tears because Ron and I have
another batch of lost treasures for you to enjoy
before the curtain comes down.

 Ron, time for your first play of the day! 


 THE TUNE WEAVERS 

 Shady, just call me the 
 dream weaver because 
 I'd like to begin with a 
 dreamy slow side by 
 The Tune Weavers. 
 This is one of my favorite 
 doo-wop ballads, with a 
 sweet female lead and 
 the sweetest, sexiest 
 saxophone that's ever 
 been recorded.  Pick 
 your favorite lady, wrap 
 your arms around her, 
 let her put her head on 
 your shoulder and sway 
 your way to heaven! 

 "Happy, Happy Birthday Baby" - The Tune Weavers 
 (December 1957, highest chart position #5) 





 THE DUBS 

 In Volume 1 of our Doo-Wop series we presented the 
 three chart hits by the Dubs.  Here's a recording released 
 by the New York group in 1958.  Like many other great 
 records that we have featured, this one also missed both 
 the white and the black charts. "Be Sure (My Love)" is 
 another killer bee, the flip side of  "Song in My Heart."  
 I guarantee that Jerre knows it! 

 "Be Sure (My Love)" - The Dubs 
 (1958, uncharted) 





 Ron, it's always a pleasure to hear 

 something by the Dubs, that great 

 R&B group from Harlem, New York. 



Whatcha say we
linger a little longer
in the Big Apple, yo...
and do some cruisin'
in yo pimpin' ride, yo...
like in the hood of the
Brooklyn Bridge, yo...
then motor on down
the road to Philly, yo?




 THE CRESTS 

We simply couldn't afford to lose a talent like New York
doo-wop giant Johnny Maestro, but we did in 2010. Maestro
was that good - a solid pro. His vocals as lead singer of the
Crests were smooth as silk. Records by the Crests resonated
with teens and produced a string of hits for the group on
Coed, a NYC label that specialized in East Coast doo-wop.


Formed in 1957, the Crests were one of the recording
industry's first interracial groups. The original lineup
included the Italian American Maestro, a Puerto Rican
and three black members including Patricia Van Dross,
older sister of R&B star Luther Vandross. Patricia left
the group in 1958 before they moved from the Joyce
label and became steady hit makers on Coed.

You can tell a lot about the quality of a vocal group
by the material found on the B sides of their records.
Whenever you flipped a Crests platter you knew,
"it's in there."

 "Beside You" - The Crests 
 (Feb. 1959, uncharted B side of "16 Candles") 




Now let's listen to three different versions
of another beautiful doo-wop ballad.


Released on the flip side of the Crests' "Step By Step,"
"Gee (But I'd Give the World)" is one of the greatest
uncharted B sides you're ever likely to hear. Had it
been released as an A side, it could easily have
gone top 10 for Maestro and his men!

 "Gee (But I'd Give the World)" - The Crests 
 (May 1960, B side of "Step By Step") 






 TONY 

 AND THE 

 TWILIGHTERS 

Joining Johnny Maestro in doo-wop heaven is Philadelphia's
Anthony "Tony" Maresco who left us too soon at age 54.
Tony was only 13 years old in 1957 when he and his group
Tony and the Teens went into the studio and recorded a
demo of "Gee (But I'd Give the World)."


By 1959 Tony was releasing records and making a name
for himself around the greater Philadelphia area as
lead singer of The Dynamics. The group's name soon
changed to Tony and the Twilighters. They recorded
for Red Top, the Philadelphia label that released
the Quin-Tones' hit single "Down the Aisle of Love."
Listen to Tony Maresco's exciting rendition of "Gee."

 "Gee (But I'd Give the World)" 
 Tony and the Twilighters 
 (1959, uncharted) 





 ANTHONY 

 AND THE 

 SOPHOMORES 

In 1965 Tony Maresco released another version of
"Gee (But I'd Give the World)." By this time his group was
billed as Anthony and the Sophomores. I'm a certified
Philly phanatic ( if I'm lyin' I'm dyin' ) and Tony and
his troubadours float my boat all around the moat!

 "Gee (But I'd Give the World)" 
 Anthony & the Sophomores 
 (November 1965, uncharted) 





 Ron, it looks like you 

 and I are playing the 

 Ditties of Two Cities! 



 THE REGENTS 

 Right you are, Shady. Let's hang 
 a U-turn and head straight back 
 to Gotham City. When it comes 
 to the pop song "Barbara-Ann," 
 the Beach Boys are fun but the 
 original is the best. A New York 
 doo-wop group called The Regents 
 wrote the song and recorded it first. 
 The single stopped just short of the 
 top 10.  The B-side was "I'm So 
 Lonely" and I liked it a lot, too. 

 "Barbara-Ann" - The Regents 
 (July 1961, highest chart position #13) 




 The Regents' follow-up and only other hit was 
 another up tempo killer called "Runaround." 
 I always kicked myself for not buying it.  
 On a trip to York some years ago, 
 I heard this one playing on a Harrisburg 
 oldies station. "Happy, happy, joy, joy!" 

 "Runaround" - The Regents 
 (August 1961, highest chart position #28) 




 Ron, I have an answer to that one! 


 THE ROOMATES 

It's the same song recorded by the Roomates. This is not
the same group that backed Cathy Jean. This Roomates act
was formed in the UK in the mid 80s by a crew of mates
who are just as passionate about American doo-wop as
many of their countrymen are about Northern Soul.



Heavily influenced by Dion and the Belmonts and other
groups that recorded for Laurie Records, the Roomates
extensively studied white Brooklyn style doo-wop and
practiced until they learned all the nuances of the genre.
The Roomates' quest for authenticity extends to deliberately
singing certain notes off key, a technique originally made
popular by Dion. Fans consider the Roomates to be the
leading preservationists of doo-wop in the world today.
Listen to this previously unreleased version of "Runaround"
and I think you'll agree the Roomates bring it back alive.

 "Runaround" - The Roomates 
 (previously unreleased, now on CD) 



 Ron, our colossal Dueling Doo-Wops 

 series is almost at an end.  

 It's time for a final tribute to the 

 R&B group that we started featuring 

 way back in Volume 1, the 

 White Rose City's own Quin-Tones! 


 "History will have to record 
 that the greatest tragedy of 
 this period of social transition 
 was not the strident clamor of 
 the bad people, but the appalling 
 silence of the good people." 

 - Martin Luther King, Jr. 



 THE QUIN-TONES 


 Dell Rat Jerre wrote: 

 I lived within a city block of some of 

 the Quintones. I played B-Ball in the 
 Crispus Attucks center on Maple St. 
 With that background, how could I 
 not like soul music? Of the Quintones, 
 I lived near the Holmes girl (Carolyn 
 "Sissie" Holmes) but did not really 
 know her, just who she was. There 
 were a lot of Holmes girls and guys 
 in the neighborhood. I played some 
 pickup basketball with Teddy and 
 Bobby Holmes. They might have  
 been a relation. (They were good. I wasn't.) I also played some  
 B-ball and pool with Ernie Banks (sang at one time with the Del- 
 Chords) and he lived in the same area. As for the Quintones 
 records, I have "Down the Aisle"/"Please Dear."  Those plus 
 "Ding Dong" got playing time at dance called Teen Can Teen 
 that was held at the YWCA on Market St.  This was before 
 my Dell years. My favorite Quin-Tones song is "Please Dear." 


 Thanks for the anecdote, Jerre! 

 Ron, over to you. 

 To sum it up, Shady, The Quin-Tones, 

 York, Pennsylvania's angelic sounding 
 R&B vocal group, formed in 1957, 
 made records and toured through '59  
 and officially disbanded in 1960 when 
 lead singer Roberta Haymon married. 
 Fast forward to the present: Dave 
 Bupp and Buddy King, lead singers of 
 the Del-Chords and the Magnificent 
 Men, became members of York High's 
 Hall of Fame a few years ago. The 
 Quin-Tones had never enjoyed that 
 recognition. Dave began a crusade to get the Quin-Tones 
 inducted into the Hall of Fame.  Dave organized groups to 
 perform and raise awareness of the Quin-Tones and other 
 past accomplishments of York's black community. Finally, 
 on April 28, 2011, Dave received word that The Quin- 
 Tones, York's first R&B notables, were to be recognized 
 in William Penn's Hall of Fame. Thank you, Dave, and to 
 those who assisted you in seeing that these local pioneers 
 received their long overdue recognition. 





 Thank you for that wonderful 

 Quin-Tones tribute, Ron! 

Sadly, at least three of the original members of the 
Quin-Tones never lived to see the day when Dave Bupp,
the man they so profoundly influenced, secured the
group's place in their high school Hall of Fame.



Sissie Holmes died in 1995. Primary lead singer
Roberta Haymon died the following year and Phyliss
Carr, who had managed a reunited version of the
group in the 1980s and 90s, passed away in 2006.
The pure, sweet voices of these young women have now
been silenced but live on through their musical legacy.

The New Quin-Tones group continued to perform in
the new millennium with Vince Carr, brother of original 
member Phyliss Carr, handling most of the lead vocals.
The lineup also included Edward "Buck" Generett, one
of the original Del-Chords who in recent years has
sung backup with The Class of 60-Something and
has taken part in Del-Chords reunion concerts.


 Thank you Dave Bupp, 

 thank you Dell Rat Jerre 

 Slaybaugh and thank you 

 Dell Rat Ron Shearer for 

 helping me with this and 

 the other great volumes 

  of Dueling Doo-Wops! 


And so ends our 10 volume series, a salute to more than 120 of the greatest doo-wop recordings of the 1950s and 60s. Wasn't it refreshing to travel back and hear songs fashioned from simple rhymes that extolled the virtues of love, marriage, fidelity, faith, courtesy, respect, goodness and decency? Thank you all, Dell rats young and old, for taking this journey with me!


 LITTLE CAESAR 

 AND THE ROMANS 

Let's finish with a sensational snuggler 
that tells it like it was.

 "Those Oldies But Goodies" 
 Little Caesar and the Romans 
 (July 1961, highest chart position #9) 




Have a Shady day!

30 comments:

  1. WOOOWWWW!

    I love the doo-wop bands and you have provided many that I knew nothing about - and they're awesome!!

    Let me add a few comments: The Crests' song is the sort of doo-wop I love. Big, booming bass voice and layered harmonies. That sort of arrangement really defined doo-wop to me.

    Remember Sha-Na-Na? I loved that they brought it back years later, even though they were more of a cover band.

    The first notes of the song (Gee) by Tony and the Twilighters made me think they were going to burst into full "Earth Angel" mode. Another great group!

    "Runaround" was playing as my son came out of the shower and he burst into a full blown dance-a-thon with a hint of fresh Old Spice deodorant filling the air. The look on his face was pure joy!

    Love it! Thanks, dear Shady. So glad you're back!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, dear Cherdo! I'm delighted to learn that you and your son enjoyed some of these old doo-wop classics.

      Yessum, I remember Sha-Na-Na although, quite frankly, I was never a fan. They presented themselves as greasy stereotypes and poked fun at the music instead of trying to perform it authentically. That's my chief complaint with cover bands, groups and solo singers. Too often they perform the songs in a humorous style, forgetting that true fans of the genre took their music very seriously.

      That brings us to groups like the Crests. I don't think I ever heard a Crests recording that I didn't love. Of course, the late Johnny Mastrangelo aka Johnny Maestro gave us the 1968 million seller "The Worst That Could Happen" as front man of his group The Brooklyn Bridge. "Runaround" is a catchy song and I hope you liked both recorded versions presented here.

      Thank you very much for coming over to see sleepy me, dear friend Cherdo. I hope you enjoy the rest of your week!

      Delete
    2. I didn't like Sha-Na-Na, either. What were they doing at Woodstock?

      Delete
    3. Janie, we gotta stop meeting like this! :) I'm with you, kiddo. I don't understand why Sha Na Na was invited to play at Woodstock, not if Disco Tex and His Sex-O-Lettes weren't invited. :)

      Ever notice how cover and tribute acts speed up the songs? I hate that! If you want to perform a cover authentically you should match the beats per minute or even do a slower, more dramatic rendition. When acts race through a song they do a disservice to the song and the original artist.

      Thanks for popping in for more fun in the Shady, dear Janie, and good night to you!

      Delete
  2. Sorry the doo wop duels are over, You guys did an amazing job with all the facts and selections. However, you were wrong and I did not know all of these selections. I actually have all of them in my 45 collection except the Tony Maresco selection. You always seem to have some new trivia that interests me. I did not realize the Quintones relationship with Vince Carr. Note that he was another very good basketball player from the old Hannah Penn hood days. Hope you guys reconsider and add some new posts. There is still plenty of great undiscovered Doo Wop to be found.
    Have a great holiday season.
    Jerre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Hey Hey and Ho Ho Ho, Jerre! I'm glad you didn't miss this post, good buddy, because you were a key player in helping me put it together. It was great fun, too, and seems like ages ago that Dell Rat Ron and I started the series. We covered a lot of ground since 2011, unveiling many of the greatest doo-wop recordings of the era, many of them little known and seldom heard. I know how much you love Johnny Maestro and the Crests and was happy to include them in the grand finale.

      Yes, it's a small world after all, and many of the greats can be connected in a game of Six Degrees. Although I have officially wrapped up this particular series, I assure you there is plenty of great doo-wop still to come here on SDM&M including, as you indicated, new/old recordings that have yet to be discovered. In fact an estimated 90% of the music I've posted in the last couple of years was all new to me. I love to share it with guys like you who appreciate it.

      Happy holidays, Jerre, and thanks again for coming!

      Delete
  3. Looks good, but I don't have time to listen to any of the songs tonight. Hoping to enjoy the songs tomorrow, Tom and give a little more feedback. Glad you included the comment about the Brooklyn Bridge, because I was going to add that if you hadn't. First song I remember hearing by the Crests on WSBA's Top 40 was "Step By Step", good uptempto. Eyelids are closing, brain shutting down. Thanks, Tom and Jerre, and good night all!
    Dell Rat Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ron! Thanks for coming to the grand finale of our series, good buddy. Yes indeed, I remember WSBA playing "Step By Step," the Duprees' "Have You Heard" and many other great up tempo numbers and slow dance ballads of the doo-wop era.

      Ron, I feel a sense of completion now that we have told the story of the Quin-Tones from start to finish including Dave Bupp's role in getting them the recognition they deserve. As you might have noticed, I included a quote by MLK in every Quin-Tones post.

      When time permits I hope you will come back for another look and a listen. I couldn't get through them all without shedding tears. Groups and songs like these remind me of how far we've come, how much has changed and how much we have lost.

      Thanks again, Ron, for your immeasurable contributions to this and other series here on SDM&M. Take care, good buddy!

      Delete
  4. Hello Shady, Ron and Jerre!
    I will miss you guys showcasing your fav tunes and taking about the local talents from yesteryear!
    So Shady, is it finally time for heavy metal/head bangin music now that doo wop is over??? LOL!
    I liked the second version of "Gee" the best and as it turns out, that was my fav on this post! These songs were way before my time but they really remind me of one of my fav TV shows from the 70's, "Happy Days". I can just picture Richie and Potsie dancing at the sock hops with their favorite girl with those tunes---especially , "those oldies but goodies!
    So, farewell to the 2 dell rats, maybe I'll bump into them in York someday!
    Enjoyed the post, Shady! Have a great week!
    Toni Deroche

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Toni! Thank you for coming to my "Last Call for Alcohol Doo-Wop Sock Hop." (That's a mouthful!) Yessum, it's sad to see this series come to an end (hence the long face), but please remember that Dell rats Ron and Jerre will be back with their own separate features in future posts. Yessum, there will also be more hard rock and heavy metal, something to suit everyone's taste, and once again I am prepared to offer my exclusive SDM&M freshness guarantee. At least 90% of the content I present in 2015 will be new and never before published or (wait for it.....)

      DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK!

      Speaking of the Happy Days cast, do you believe what Fonzie is saying about reverse mortgages? :)

      Thank you very much for your visit and kind comments, dear friend Toni. I know Ron and Jerre will appreciate them as much as I do. Have a happy Thursday and a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  5. I always learn so much from these posts. I had only heard the first and last songs. Not sure if they were by these original artists or not, but I remember them. I love that there was an interracial group back then. Good for them! Yup--you are always teaching me something about music history. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, dear Rita! Thank you very much for coming down for a visit. Yessum, to the best of my knowledge these are all original recordings by original artists. I always try to make sure of that. Sometimes it's not easy because some artists re-record their hits later in their careers.

      It's always nice to see a racially mixed group succeed. England's soul band the Foundations is another act that immediately comes to mind.

      I'm so please to see you, Rita, and to know that you had fun and learned something from this post. Have a great Thursday and a safe and happy weekend, dear friend!

      Delete
  6. Fascinating, entertaining and informative post. Thank you so much for sharing, and warm greetings from Montreal, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Linda! Welcome to Shady Dell Music & Memories! I am thrilled to have you here and I hope you will return often. I will now swing over to your blog and experience hospitality Montreal style. Thank you very much for your visit and kind comment, dear Linda!

      Delete
  7. Hey! Where's my comment? It says "Your comment was published," but I don't see it. Has Cherdo taken control over here, too? I'll try to remember what I wrote. I think I started with--I hate to brag, but that's me singing on Happy, Happy Birthday Baby.

    It's too difficult to recreate the rest of my brilliant comment. I'm sorry Cherdo has attacked you.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, dear Janie Junebug! I was beginning to think that you had unfriended me but, as it turns out, that rascal Cherdo has struck again. Looks like I need to install anti-Cherdo software. Thank you for at least partially reconstructing your deleted comment. I'm sure the rest of it was indeed brilliant.

      Speaking of "Happy, Happy Birthday, Baby," I will be presenting a great variation of that song (with a different title) coming up in my next series which starts next Wednesday.

      Lubbins, lubbins, lubbins to you, dear Janie, and thank you very much for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. oh my goodness, the last volume in this series?! this series has been going on a lot longer than i was even blogging or following blogs. what dedication you have!
    and my goodness, what a great volume this is, all that great music! it just kept going and going and i was sad to see it end. i turned of the Christmas tunes on the radio and turned on your songs as the background soundtrack while i worked with photos and such on my computer. what a lovely thing, to be sitting here in what was the future for those musicians, and yet still be listening to their music.
    Johnny and the Crests certainly are handsome with nice voices to match, but i'm sure this wasn't unusually thinking for young girls like me.
    and Barbra Ann was good, though i'm most familiar with the Beach Boys version of that one (surprise surprise). all in all another great post!!
    hope you had a wonderful adventure in the Carolinas. glad your travels were safe!
    -Abigail and Daisy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, dear Abigail and Daisy! I am thrilled to see you both and thank you for coming. What a compliment it is to know that you were motivated to turn off the seasonal sounds and listen to my doo-wop oldies while you worked. That really makes me smile!

      It also made me smile when I read that you found young Johnny Maestro and the Crests to be handsome guys, the same reaction countless teenage girls had to the popular vocal group back in the day. It doesn't surprise me that you know the Beach Boys version of "Barbara Ann" better than the Regents' original. If you ever saw the movie American Graffiti you might remember that Regents hit was used in the soundtrack. If you never saw American Graffiti, I urge you to do so (right after watching Easy Rider :) because they are two of the greatest pop culture films of the 20th century.

      We did have a fantastic adventure in the Carolinas, thank you, and thank you ever so much for being such a great friend. Take care of little fur ball Daisy and I'll be over to see you soon, Abigail God bless!

      Delete
    2. ah, ok, i was wondering what footage was playing along with the song on the Barbra Ann video. so that's American Graffiti? cool, i was going to ask, but i forgot. all the music and handsome guy thoughts kinda took over i suppose LOL, just kidding... sorta :D
      have a great weekend!

      Delete
    3. Hi again, Abigail! Yessum, that YouTube video for "Barbara Ann" contains scenes from American Graffiti. I hope you get a chance to see the movie. It's loaded with great rock 'n' roll and doo-wop music, classic cars and vintage fashions. The movie launched the careers of relative newcomers who went on to become major stars including Harrison Ford, Ron Howard and Richard Dreyfuss.

      I love it when you come by, dear friend Abigail. Stay warm and have a delightful weekend with fur ball Daisy!

      Delete
  9. Hellp. again, Tom!
    I particularly liked that quote of Dr. King's that you used about all the good people remaining appallingly quiet.
    I hadn't heard any of the "Gee"s before, and they all were equally good, despite the Don Costa-like arrangement for Johnny Maestro.
    I noticed you included the B-side of :"Sixteen Candles" but overlooked the one from "Step by Step". All Johnny Maestro vocals were good, and not too many years back, in his last years, Johnny performed "The Worst that Could Happen" for PBS in as great a voice as before.
    Dave worked his butt off against a largely apathetic York black community to accomplish the Quin-Tones induction into the hall of fame at York High. He said a lot of the soul has been taken over by the techno craze. Sad, and not as "feeling".
    I enjoyed Jerre's reminiscences of basketball, something you and he have in common, and I played with you once at your house, with the families of the Quin-Tones. I knew of Vinnie Carr, but didn't know him. I was familiar with Fred Sexton, and occasionally heard a mention of his brother, Kenny, but I never put 2 and 2 together as to the sibling of a Quin-Tone.
    Lastly, I recalled the first appearance of Little Caesar and the Romans as they lip-synced "Those Oldies But Goodies" while wearing togas on Dick Clark's American Bandstand. Mr. Clark couldn't get over them showing up in togas.
    Well, Tom, it's back to the business of the present. It's been enjoyable sharing these memories with everyone, I'm glad they can put smiles on faces still. And to your new blogger from Montreal, "say 'hello' to Celine Dion for me"!
    Dell Rat Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello again, Ron! Thanks for the encore, good buddy. If you look closely, you will see that I did indeed include both those B sides. "Beside You" is the flip side of "Sixteen Candles" and "Gee (But I'd Give the World" is the killer bee on the back of "Step By Step."

      You and I discussed at length the problems and disappointments Dave Bupp encountered as he tried to drum up support for the Quin-Tones, Between the two of us I think we did our part to preserve their legacy by including all of their gospel drenched recordings in this series along with this great video tribute here in Volume 10.

      Thanks for sharing your memory of seeing Little Caesar and the Romans on Bandstand. I wonder if Jerre saw that episode. I don't remember it.

      Ron, thanks again for all you did to make this series a success. Stay tuned because there are more of your features and Jerre's in the pipeline. I hope to see you back here soon, my friend!

      Delete
  10. Hi Tom and welcome home! It's late here in OHIO and I'm heading to Chi-town in the early morning so I'm hoping to find some time to listen and learn in the next few days...Looks like a super fun post! Just wanted to say how much I enjoy your comments on my blog..they always make me smile or laugh out loud. Have a good weekend and "I'LL BE BACK"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, dear YaYa! Thank you for letting me know what's going on on your side of the screen. I wish you a safe journey over to Chicago and hope you have time to return and enjoy a bit more of the music and nostalgia in this post. It will remain on the front page until next Wednesday.

      It makes me happy to know that I can make you laugh with my comments on your blog. I love to play with my friends and I'm sure you realize by now that you are one of my very best. I truly admire you, Kathleen.

      Thank you again for your visit and comment, YaYa. Please stay safe this weekend I hope to connect with you again soon. God bless!

      Delete
  11. P.S. The Roommates were impressive. Almost as good as the original.
    DRR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi again, Ron! I agree with what you wrote about the modern UK doo-wop act the Roomates. These blokes have such devotion to the genre and are so determined to achieve an authentic sound that they made a study of it to learn nuances such as Dion's technique of singing certain words off key. I admire and respect acts like the Roomates, guys who love the music, take it seriously and are determined to bring it back alive.

      Thanks again for being here, Ron. Please stay tuned for much more fresh content in the weeks, months and years ahead here on SDMM.

      Delete
  12. Hey Shady Del,

    That's quite an achievement you have played out (pardon the pun) for the past 3 years doing the doo wop blogs as I didn't appreciate you're quite a seasoned blogger, hence your following Shady Del.

    I'm returning an error message on all the videos so I'm not sure it might be my browser or something. I trust you had a great break - what were the highlights. That's all for now, see you 'round, cheers Allie-Millie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, dear Allie-Millie! Thank you for coming to the party. I'm terribly sorry you couldn't get any of the tunes to play. That's like taking a shower with your clothes on, I would imagine. At least you learned something new in the process and had fun, correct?

      My break was only three days duration and the better part of two days was spent traveling by car and plane. The weather was windy, wet and cold, one of the flights was delayed nearly an hour and I experienced the worst turbulence I ever encountered on a plane. However, I had an excellent dinner at a steakhouse in North Carolina and met some lovely people in that part of the country.

      Thank you again, dear friend Allie-Millie. I hope you will check back and see if you can play these songs because I'd hate to have you miss them. Take care!

      Delete
  13. Thanks Tom and Ron for the Do0- Wop Series. I've learned to appreciate this type of music. Hearing the Quintones again was wonderful. I think they were the best group here. I'm glad they got their due recognition.

    After listening to, "Gee, But I'd Give the Word" quite a few times, I've decided I like Johnny Maestro's first recording of it the best. I love the clarity of it. The background singing and music on that one was terrific. He certainly had a great voice.

    I know I am jumping ship, but I prefer the Beach Boy's voices to the Regent's. The Regents song was really good though. And I thought the Roomates sounded wonderful.

    I'm sorry your flight was so bad. My niece Tanya flew home from Hawaii last week. The wind was so awful it damaged the flaps. They had to call out the fire engines etc. for their landing. She was very frightened. They landed with a big thud, but they made it. I was surprised there were planes flying that night since the wind was so bad - it was during that storm on the west coast. Glad you made it home too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, dear Belle! I'm very happy to see you again. Thanks for coming to the 10th doo-wop sock hop hosted by Dell Rat Ron and me. All of the original York Dell rats will be pleased to learn you think so highly of our Quin-Tones, a vocal group that sounded like a church choir singing secular songs.

      No one can blame you, a California native, for favoring the sound of the Beach Boys. Mrs. Shady and I recently watched the two part TV movie The Beach Boys: An American Family on a cable channel called Crackle. I hope you get a chance to see the movie. It's terrific!

      I'm sorry Tanya had such a rough and scary flight. On my flight from Charlotte to Tampa the flight attendants were in the middle of serving beverages when the pilot cautioned them to clear the aisle and return to their seats. The turbulence lasted around 15 minutes and got pretty bad a few times, but not nearly as bad as what your niece encountered.

      Thank you again for your visit and kind comments, dear friend Belle. Next post is coming Thursday and it's a two part holiday series I know you will enjoy. Please take good care of yourself until we meet again. God bless!

      Delete

You talkin' to me?