CLOSE YOUR EYES. TAKE A DEEP BREATH. OPEN YOUR HEART.

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR
High School Yearbook Photo

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight
HELLO STRANGER ... IT SEEMS LIKE A MIGHTY LONG TIME!

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Episode 2: Honey, I Guess I'm Dumb!


 WELCOME TO PART 2 

 OF MY TRIBUTE TO 

  THE HONEYS...  

 ONE OF THE GREAT UNSUNG 

 GIRL GROUPS OF THE 60S 


 AND ONE OF THE PET PROJECTS 


 OF BEACH BOY BRIAN WILSON. 

The legendary Phil Spector was a major influence
on Brian Wilson professionally.  Wilson used Spector's
Wall of Sound studio technique on records he produced
for the Beach Boys and other artists including the Honeys.


 THE HONEYS 


The Spector influence can be heard on
"The One You Can't Have," the A side
of The Honeys' third Capitol single.


This one brings to mind the Beach Boys'
Christmas classic "Little Saint Nick."

 "The One You Can't Have" - The Honeys 
 (December 1963, uncharted) 




"Darlin' I'm Not Steppin' Out On You,"
a demo recorded by the Honeys in 1963,
could have been a crossover country hit.
It reminds me of Connie Francis singing
"My Heart Has a Mind of Its Own."

 "Darlin' I'm Not Steppin' Out On You" 
 The Honeys  (1963 unreleased demo) 




"Raindrops," unreleased until 2001, is another
recording that reflects the Honeys' evolution
from surf trio to Spector style girl group.

 "Raindrops" - The Honeys 
 (Recorded 1963,  released in 2001) 




After releasing three uncharted singles for Capitol,
The Honeys left the label in 1964 and signed with
Warner Brothers. Their first single for that company
was arguably the best record of their career.

Image courtesy of Fred Puma and 45cat.com

"He's a Doll," another superb Brian Wilson production,
reminds me of the Beach Boys' recording "Drive-In."
In the following clip you will see and hear producer
Brian Wilson along with The Wrecking Crew, the
group of talented, sought after session musicians
that played anonymously on recordings released
by dozens of name music acts during the 60s.
Listen to history being made as Brian Wilson
and the Crew build a mighty Wall of Sound
on this exciting girl group recording.

 "He's a Doll" - The Honeys 
 (May 1964, uncharted) 





 GLEN CAMPBELL 


He is best known for his TV music variety show and
major country crossover hits, but let's examine a few
other credentials of Glen Campbell, a man who made
significant contributions to the soundtrack of our youth.

 * Glen was a busy Los Angeles session musician and 
    played on recordings made by Elvis, Frank Sinatra, 
    Nancy Sinatra, Bobby Darin, Dean Martin, Monkees, 
    Ricky Nelson, Nat King Cole and many other artists. 

 * Glen was a member of Phil Spector's Wrecking Crew. 

 * Glen was the uncredited lead vocalist of the 

    psychedelic sunshine pop group Sagittarius. 

 * Glen was a touring member of the Beach Boys. 


That last item leads me to the next
exciting part of the Honeys' sweet story.

The way I act don't seem like me
I'm not on top like I used to be

Those lyrics to the next featured song aptly describe
Brian Wilson as he and those around him dealt with
the onset of his mental illness. Two weeks after he
married one of the Honeys, Marilyn Rovell, Brian
suffered a nervous breakdown on a flight to
Houston on the eve of a Beach Boys tour.
Brian dropped out of stage performing to
focus exclusively on songwriting and
producing.  Glen Campbell was
summoned to stand in for Brian
on tour until Bruce Johnston became
Wilson's permanent replacement in the act.


The song "Guess I'm Dumb," co-written by Brian Wilson
and Russ Titleman, was given to Glen Campbell as a
gift for his stint subbing as a Beach Boy. Brian Wilson
produced the recording and enlisted The Honeys as
backing singers. Watch and listen as Glen performs
this vastly underrated gem on Shindig in May 1965.
The soaring vocals, challenging melody and lavish
orchestral production revealed Brian Wilson's
emerging genius and gave us a preview of the
techniques he used shortly thereafter in his
album masterpiece Pet Sounds.

"Guess I'm Dumb" but I don't care.
This record gives me goose bumps!

 "Guess I'm Dumb" - Glen Campbell 
 (June 1965, uncharted 
 Live on Shindig May 19, 1965 ) 





 PAUL PETERSEN 

Paul Petersen played Jeff Stone, brother of
Mary (Shelley Fabares) on the hit family
TV series The Donna Reed Show.


Shelley branched out into a recording career
and became a girl pop idol with her chart topping
hit "Johnny Angel." Paul released records, too,
hitting the top 20 with "She Can't Find Her Keys"
and the top 10 with "My Dad." By far the coolest
record of Paul Petersen's career is the one you
are about to hear.  "She Rides With Me" was
one of Brian Wilson's so-called Pet Projects.
Brian wrote the song and produced the single
and sang background on it. Way to go, Jeff!
Your Beachboyesque 45's Stone to the bone!

 "She Rides With Me" - Paul Petersen 
 (March 1964, uncharted) 





 SHELLEY FABARES 


Mary Mary, where you goin' to? (Answer: Vee Jay & Dunhill.)
It's Donna Reed's daughter Mary Stone (Shelley Fabares)
with "He Don't Love Me," her final Colpix Records release.
Written by Jan Berry of Jan & Dean and using musicians
from Phil Spector's famous Wrecking Crew, it's one of the
best recordings of Shelley's career, yet it failed to chart.
It didn't even Bubble Under. As you and I have been
discovering on this musical journey, uncharted gems
outnumber those that made the chart. Shelley's single
"He Don't Love Me" was the very next Colpix release
after TV brother Paul Petersen's coolest career record,
the Brian Wilsonesque "She Rides With Me" (above).
Shelley's platter captures the same sound and feel.
"He Don't Love Me" but you gotta love Shelley!

 "He Don't Love Me" - Shelley Fabares 
 (March 1964, uncharted) 




 IT'S NONE OF MY BEESWAX 

 BUT I HOPE YOU'LL RETURN FOR 

 PT. 3 OF THIS SACCHARINE SAGA. 

  STAY TUNED FOR MORE 

 SWEET SOUNDS FROM 

 THE HONEYS 

 COMING RIGHT UP! 

Have a Shady day!

30 comments:

  1. Hi Shady Del Knight,

    Thanks for your post and the trivia about Glen Campbell. He is one of the few country and western artists I like, especially the songs Galverstone and Rhinestone Cowboy. Fancy him touring with the Beach Boys :) I thought he'd been the wrong genre and too straight! although it obviously worked.

    Paul Peterson has a look of Elvis and why wouldn't you want to emulate the King - LOL, The Honeys, are stylish artists and sooo retro, nice work :) Look forward to my continuing education on your homegrown artists, yours at writing the rapids - Allie-Millie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello hello hello, Allie-Millie! I'm grateful for your visit, dear friend. In my research I'm learning how common it was for name singers and musicians to bounce around from one recording session to another, their talents applied to the production of records released under a myriad of artist names. Glen Campbell certainly made the rounds as a singer and guitarist and even as an actor.

      Paul Petersen and Shelly Fabares had hit records when they recorded in a style that suited their characters on The Donna Reed Show. Unfortunately, when they "tuned cool" and released more mature, sophisticated material, the fans didn't buy it.

      Thank you again for being here for me, dear friend Allie-Millie. Good night to you and have a splendid week!

      Delete
  2. my mum loved Glen Campbell, but she never played him much - she just had is records. And the Honeys - oh i do in enjoy The one you cant have - that's been on my itunes for many years and i listened to the album on Spotify but it didn't hook me in a much as "The one you cant have"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, dear Catherine! Thanks for popping in for a visit, my Aussie friend! I'm a little surprised that you know about Glen Campbell and the Honeys and that you have been listening to the Honeys single "The One You Can't Have" for years. That's longer than I've known about it! It is fun a toe-tapper, isn't it? Hard to believe their records never caught on during the surf rock craze or even after when they changed their style during the serious singer/songwriter period.

      Thank you very much for reporting in, dear friend Cat. Good night and have a safe and happy week ahead!

      Delete
  3. Brian Wilson lived in suburban Chicago near my relatives. The house sold for a million and a half. It's earlyish and I "guess I'm dumb," since I have nothing else to add! Have a great Sunday, Shady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, dear Susie! Thanks for swinging by, dear friend. I'd be the last person to call you dumb and I hope you enjoyed Glen Campbell's sensational performance of Brian Wilson's song on Shindig. Many consider "Guess I'm Dumb" to be one of Brian's greatest compositions and one of Glen's best recordings.

      Thank you again for coming by and sharing your thoughts, dear friend Susie. Enjoy the week ahead!

      Delete
  4. You are bringing back lots of old memories for me. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, dear Beth! Welcome back, my new friend. Along with revisiting memories, I trust that you are being exposed to recordings you never heard before. Believe it or not I had never heard any of the recordings in this post until a few months ago when I discovered "Brian Wilson's Pet Projects" and started digging around.

      I'm very pleased to see you again, dear Beth. I hope you are having a fine weekend and I wish you a happy week ahead!

      Delete
  5. That's Glen Campbell? WOW! He's great. What a voice. I love The One You Can't Have. How did The Honeys avoid becoming a huge success? I think Paul Petersen if still hot.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Janie Junebug! Happy Sunday to you, dear friend! Yessum, that be Glen Campbell on Shindig rendering what I would describe as a "majestic" performance of that autobiographical Brian Wilson song. I wonder, too, how the Honeys avoided becoming a huge success. Then again, how did Shecky Shady avoid same? :)

      Isn't it ironic that Paul Petersen and Shelley Fabares released back-to-back Beach Boys influenced singles that OOZED cool, yet neither record made the chart? I'm beginning to think the charts were compiled BY squares FOR squares.

      Thank you very much for coming, dear friend Janie. I hope you're having a great weekend and I wish you a terrific week ahead!

      Delete
  6. Hello Shady,
    On this post, my fav "Honey" song is , "Darling I'm not stepping out on you"! The Honey's harmonies was spot on/fantastic!
    Boy! Shelley Fabares had it all, great looks, could sing and act!
    Awww, I love Glen Campbell, such a talented man (not too bad to look at either!) I could barely recognize his voice singing , "Guess I'm dumb"--great song, though! I'm too use to him being more of a" Rhinestone Cowboy" Country Crooner. Poor Glen has been battling Alzheimer's. I was fortunate to see his guitars and fancy(country) outfits displayed at the Country Hall of Fame Museum in Nashville a couple months ago. I Enjoyed this post, Shady! Enjoy your week!
    Toni Deroche

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, dear Toni! Thank you very much for stopping by on your Sunday. I'm glad you mentioned "Stepping Out" by the Honeys as a favorite of yours. It's one of my faves, too. The girls were chameleons, able to shift from surf trio to Spectorian girl group to country style to sophisticated, adult oriented pop. As you will see and hear in coming episodes (spoiler alert) the girls even rocked out in a Pat Benatar vein in the 80s.

      It makes me sad to know what's become of Glen Campbell. Shelley Fabares also had some serious health issues in recent years. That's why I prefer to concentrate on the past when artists like these were young and near the peak of their careers. It makes me feel young again, too.

      Thank you very much for your visit and wonderful comments, dear friend Toni. I wish you a safe and happy week ahead!

      Delete
  7. Good afternoon, Shady!

    I could comment on each and everyone, but I am just shiverin' and dumbfounded over the Glen Campbell video. The clarity of his voice, the style...the dude was a tenor? I wonder why he changed?

    Obviously, he had a great career afterwards, but gee whiz - I totally prefer this older Glenn Campbell. What a great song...and I never heard it till today (though I was a Shindig! devotee.

    Thanks, dear friend. Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, dear Cherdo! Thank you very much for coming to my potty! Isn't that Glen Campbell performance transcendental? I have that recording in my collection and never get tired of hearing it. Turns out "Guess I'm Dumb" was released on 45 by several artists including English thrush Sally Adams who recorded as Dani Sheridan to sound more American. Sally/Dani was also an actress and appeared in a Boris Karloff horror movie and a James Bond film. I also own her version of "Guess I'm Dumb" and love to listen to it. I suppose you could say that it all starts with a great song and Brian Wilson's "Guess I'm Dumb" certainly is one.

      Keep in mind that 100% of this post was brand new to me until a few months ago when I began doing research and caught the Brian Wilson bug. His influence was far reaching just like Phil Spector's.

      Thanks a bunch for spending part of your Sunday in the Shady, dear friend Cherdo. I'll be catching you on the Flipside tomorrow. Until then, take good care of yourself, dear friend.

      God bless!

      Delete
    2. I keep coming back and listening to that clip. It's stuck in my brain, looping round and round.

      Delete
    3. Hi, Cherdo! I know, I know! That heartfelt performance and the song itself really get inside of me (and you). I don't mind having sounds and images like these stuck in my head for long periods of time. It remains an unsolved mystery why such a great recording wasn't a hit. It didn't make a dent in the Billboard 100 and didn't even Bubble Under!

      Thank you for your visit today, dear friend Cherdo. I hope it's turning into a great one for you.

      Delete
  8. Sundae Sue here, tuning in to the golden oldies! That Brian Wilson is really something, everything you said he is Shady! And, he did marry one of the Honey's, I thought you had mentioned earlier. Gosh, what a collaboration. Those Honey's did a lot of recording for so little recognition they got. I thought their sound really progressed throughout the years. I've gotta tell you right off that my favorite was 'Raindrops'. I just love the cool rainy video, these girls were really good, and Brian too! And, what a fabulous country song, 'Darlin, I'm not Steppin Out On you'! You're right, a Connie Francis sort of style-really good sound for the Honeys!

    As time goes by, I appreciate and love Glen Campbell more and more. I feel sad for him and his illness, but, I so respect all of his contributions and talent that we have enjoyed. How great was 'Guess I'm Dumb'? The whole number and video with the Honeys and band was really impressive-what a tight group! And, Glen's vocals were not like I was used to hearing, I guess because he was so much younger.

    So, Okay-Paul Peterson's recording was pretty good too. I surely enjoyed all of the videos, you know how I like the oldies black and whites! Thank you so much for your great post Shady. I've had a bit of trouble with my Tex Gardens blog...somehow lost most of the pictures on it. Will have to find a way to justify it-the operator perhaps? Me and Google +? Not sure what I'll do just yet. Oh, I'm not closing it down, but will try to restore some of the pictures! What a job!

    Have a great week, Shady! Still kind of muggy in my neck of the woods! I will see you soon! ♫

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, sweet Suzanne! Thanks for coming over the same day again, dear friend. I'm excited because the reader voting is nicely mixed on this post. Some like the first Honeys recording, "The One You Can't Have." A couple of you liked the countrified Connie Francis style song "Darlin' I'm Not Steppin" and you were the first to mention "Raindrops." It remains a mystery why nobody favored what most critics believe was the Honeys greatest career recording, "He's a Doll." That's the one that blows me away.

      I'm very pleased to know that you heard the greatness in Glen Campbell's epic Brian Wilson masterpiece "Guess I'm Dumb," a single that went nowhere upon its release but which today is universally lauded as a triumph.

      I'm terribly sorry to learn that something happened to MTG. I hope you can recover your lost pictures. If you need me to resend the one of my sun room and cactus collection just let me know.

      We've had monsoon rains this past week and a large portion of my property is under water. I suppose it's better than the chronic drought we usually experience down here.

      Thank you again for your punctuality, dear friend Suzanne. Please take good care of yourself and have a great week ahead!

      Delete
  9. Loved hearing these tracks from The Honeys! I always love your posts. After I have a read of them I'll keep the page open in a tab to keep on listening to the music videos included. It leaves me with a little smile on my face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well hello, dear Lucy in the Sky! Welcome back to SDM&M, my friend. I've been missing you! I'm thrilled to know you enjoy listening to the Honeys. It makes me happy to be able to entertain you throughout the day with my music picks. The three Honeys were versatile and crossed several music genres in their career. Please stay tuned for parts 3 and 4 of their saccharine saga.

      Thank you very much for thinking of me, dear Lucy. I always appreciate your friendship and support. I hope you're having a wonderful Monday down there and that the rest of your week will be dandy, too!

      Delete
  10. I think what I love most about your posts is the background info. The music is only a small part. The background info on the talent behind it is fascinating! OK, so maybe the music is the big part, but it's amazing to me how much we didn't know about the artists and all the many facets of their careers. I've always loved Paul Peterson and later in life he was such a advocate of child actors not being exploited or abused. Watching old episodes of the Donna Reed show is a treat...Paul was so funny! I remember the show where he sang the song "My Dad". Great memories! I also have fond memories of Glen Cambell and I loved his TV show too..just didn't know anything about his stint with the Beach Boys. His fight with Alzheimer's is just a very sad end note to his life. All the songs and videos in this post were great. The Honey's were really a wonderful, talented group that I never would have known about....thanks again for the smiles to end this weekend! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, dear YaYa! Thanks for coming all the way over from Whispering Pines and the Creepy Woods to spend some time in the Shady. Yessum, I love to learn the fascinating stories surrounding the making of great recordings like these and I'm glad you do, too.

      I remember Paul Petersen speaking publicly and spreading awareness about the plight of child actors. If we only knew what some of our favorites went through we'd surely be shocked and saddened, I think it's interesting and disturbing that fans tend to "punish" child actors for growing up. Perhaps that's why the more mature recordings made by Paul and Shelley sold so poorly.

      It's sad about Glen Campbell's later life and that's why I prefer to hark back to the good times decades ago when he and you and I were young,

      I'm so glad you enjoyed the post, dear friend YaYa. Thank you again for being here and have a wonderful week ahead!

      Delete
  11. Well, Shady, guess im dumb because Glenn Campbell is one of my favories and i didnt know all that! And wow, the live video is just great. You just cant beat the live clips. Thats also a bit different side to the easygoing country boy music and preformances. And a stand in Beach Boy!! Thats awesome! Not to mention being a good studio musician. What a great in the music buisiness. He clearly knew what he was doing and was good at it.
    But i did enjoy hearing and seeing more of Brian's projects, especially the Honeys. Not only are the cute gals, but as you mentioned, their music is similar to some of my favorite Beach Boy tunes. That makes for listening that is just plain fun and enjoyable.
    Many thanks for another wonderful and informative post. Have a good end of September/ beginning of October!
    -Abigail and Daisy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, dear Abigail (and Daisy)! So nice of you to drop by for Part 2 of the sweet Honeys saga. In my research I am constantly discovering artists and vintage recordings that are completely new to me. It makes me wonder how I managed to miss so much great material. I am also shocked at how little I knew about some of the artists I was already familiar with. For example I didn't realize the full extent of Glen Campbell's achievements until recently.

      I'm very pleased you're having a good time listening to the Honeys and other acts that captured the sound of the Beach Boys thanks to the studio wizardry of Brian Wilson, another key figure I have learned much more about in recent months.

      Thank you again for coming, dear friend Abigail. I hope your week is off to an excellent start. Please give Daisy a pat and a hug for me. Her life is precious. God bless!

      Delete
  12. I'm looking forward to part 3 Shady, I just loved hearing all the tracks from the Honeys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, dear Sarah! Thank you very much for staying up late in London town to swing by for a visit. It pleases me greatly that three of my Australian friends and my most loyal UK friend all showed up for this post. There are more sweet Honeys sounds ahead in Parts 3 and 4 and I hope you will join me when they are published.

      Good night, dear friend Sarah, and enjoy the rest of your week!

      Delete
  13. I'm back, listening to that song (Glenn Campbell) again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My goodness, dear Cherdo. You're becoming a Dell fly, aren't you? Well, that's fine with me because I can always use the company. Janie Junebug often makes return visits so why shouldn't you?

      I'm pleased knowing I posted a song that you enjoy so much. Last night I listened to the version by Dani Sheridan.

      Take good care of yourself this weekend. I've got a new post coming Sunday and hope you can stop by. Bless you, Cheryl!

      Delete
  14. KNOCK
    KNOCK
    KNOCK

    Shady!.....

    KNOCK
    KNOCK
    KNOCK

    Shady!.....

    KNOCK
    KNOCK
    KNOCK

    Shady!.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh shoot. He's not answering.....
      but there's his 30 comments.

      B A Z I N G A ! ! !

      Delete

You talkin' to me?