CLOSE YOUR EYES. TAKE A DEEP BREATH. OPEN YOUR HEART.

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR
High School Yearbook Photo

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight
HELLO STRANGER ... IT SEEMS LIKE A MIGHTY LONG TIME!

Friday, June 20, 2014

Planting Seeds of Love and Friendship With The Sunflower Blogger Award!


Love is flower like;

Friendship is like a sheltering tree.

-Samuel Taylor Coleridge

(SHADY DEL KNIGHT STEPS UP TO THE PODIUM, 
TAPS ON THE MICROPHONE AND BLOWS INTO IT.)

Testing 1-2-3...2-3... 2-3... 2-3...

Is this thing on?...thing on?... thing on?...

(A HUSH SWEEPS OVER THE CROWD. 
 MR. KNIGHT IS ABOUT TO SPEAK.)


Today...today...today...today...today...

I consider myself...myself...myself...myself...

the luckiest man...uckiest man...uckiest man...

on the face...the face...the face...the face...

of the earth...the earth...the earth...the earth...



I am very happy to announce that my dear friends
Abigail and Daisy at Sweeter Gets The Journey
have given me The Sunflower Blogger Award!

Thank you very much, Abigail and Daisy!

In this modified version of The Sunflower, I will answer
a list of questions, nominate other bloggers who deserve
recognition and ask them a few questions of my own.

Daisy Abigail asked the following questions:

* Name one unassuming thing that makes you happy.

One unassuming thing that always makes me smile
and feel happy is seeing a dog (like your Daisy).

* What would you do with a billion dollars?

I would pay off all my debts and use the 50 cents that's left
and use the rest to change the lives of deserving people
and sick, injured, abandoned and abused animals.

* When is your favorite time of the day and why?

My favorite time of the day is morning because that's
when I tend to be most creative and productive.

* What one word do you feel best describes your blog?

If I may use three words, I would describe SDM&M
as a mix of humor, heart and soul.

* What is your favorite season of the year and why?

My friends in Australia look forward to the months of
December through February because it's summertime there.
Here in Florida I like those same months because it's winter
and the heat and humidity have been driven away by the
brisk north wind. For the first time in months I can open
windows and let fresh air circulate through the house.
Winter is when I come out of hibernation and cure
myself of cabin fever by enjoying outdoor activities.

* If you could leave tomorrow and not be back for a
week (monetary, job, responsibilities and pet/animal
restrictions aside) where would you go?

If I had no restrictions or responsibilities at home
I would like to hang out for a week relaxing and
soaking up the atmosphere in France or Italy,
someplace near water off the beaten tourist path.

* Do you play any instruments? If so, what?
If not, what would you like to play?

I haven't played for years but I was trained on drums
and played drums in the high school band and in a
short lived garage band. I often wish I had musical
talent on organ, guitar and many other instruments.

* Have you ever been in Kansas?

I've never been to Kansas but after seeing the
pictures on your blog I would love to visit someday!

* What do you do when you're feeling sad?

I find that it helps to stay busy. I set a modest, short term
goal, work hard and experience satisfaction upon its
 completion.  It could be something as simple as
writing a blog post. Another surefire way to
lose the blues is through vigorous exercise
while listening to my favorite songs.

Now here are my questions to be
answered by the bloggers that
I nominate for this award:

* Why do you blog?

* Are you an early riser or a night owl?

* What is your favorite smell?

* When you are feeling sad what's the one song
you could play or sing to make you feel happy again?

* When you look in the mirror, what do you see?

* How would you describe your personality?

* Name something difficult you accomplished 
in your life through sheer determination.

* What do you consider to be the most important world
or national event that has taken place in your lifetime?

* If you had to spend the rest of your life in a different
century, past or future, which century would you choose?

* If you were asked to speak extemporaneously for
one hour about anything, what topic would you pick?

And now, here to present

The Sunflower Award to another

set of deserving bloggers is

everybody's favorite funny man...

a legend in his own mind...

the pride of the Vegas strip...

Shecky Shady!

(SHECKY SHADY RUNS THROUGH THE CROWD
AND ONTO THE STAGE WEARING NOTHING BUT
 PINK BOXER SHORTS, CLOWN SHOES, A BABY BONNET
 AND A HUGE TIE WITH THE WORDS "KISS ME"
SPELLED IN TWINKLE LIGHTS.)

How're ya'll doin'?

(CROWD YELLS "GREAT.")

So where're ya'll from?

(GUY IN THE BACK YELLS "CHICAGO.")

Chicago? Never heard of it.
(BA-DUM-BUMP)

Show of hands - who hates airline food?

(LAUGHTER AS EVERYBODY RAISES THEIR HANDS)

Right? I mean, what are they thinking?
But listen, my wife's cooking isn't any better.
The other night she made a meat loaf that gave
a whole new meaning to 50 Shades of Grey!
(BA-DUM-BUMP)

(LAUGHTER, AND A GUY IN THE CROWD YELLS "YEAH!")

Yeah, I tell ya, I've had it rough all my life.
When I was a kid I had an imaginary friend.
He dumped me!
(BA-DUM-BUMP)

(LAUGHTER)


Alright, enough of my shenanigans.
It's time to announce the winners
of the 2014 Sunflower Award.

(SHECKY SHADY RIPS OPEN THE ENVELOPE,
PULLS OUT THE SLIP OF PAPER
AND STARES AT IT)

Where the hell are my glasses?
(BA-DUM-BUMP)

(LAUGHTER)

I mean, this is a big budget show.
Couldn't somebody spring for cue cards?
(BA-DUM-BUMP BUMP)

(LAUGHTER FOLLOWED BY APPLAUSE)

And the

Sunflower Blogger Award

goes to.....


(LONG..... AWKWARD..... PREGNANT PAUSE)


Rita (and Karma) at SoulComfort's Corner

YaYa (and Eddy) at Whispering Pines

Sol at Be Sol Be


Janie Junebug at WOMEN: WE SHALL OVERCOME

Sarah at Style Sixties

Coffee Lady at My Morning Cup of Coffee

Jeanie at Living Consciously

Suzanne ("same day Sadie")
at MyTexasGardens

Emma at Ol' Green Eyes

Pam at Go Retro


That's our show, folks. Be sure to
tip your waitress on the way out,
drive safe on the way home,
don't take any wooden nickels
and don't do anything Shecky Shady
wouldn't do! Good night, everybody!

(LAUGHTER AND APPLAUSE AS THE CROWD
THROWS ROTTEN EGGS AND TOMATOES
GIVES SHECKY SHADY A STANDING OVATION)

45 comments:

  1. Yeyyyy! The crowd goes wild!

    Autographs, please!

    Have a good weekend, Shady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear friend Cherdo! Shecky Shady will gladly give you his autograph for a mere dollar-98 (no checks please).

      Thanks for coming over and have a safe and happy weekend, sweetie!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the kind recognition, Shady. Right now I am a few minutes from leaving for the airport for a brief getaway so I will have to defer my acceptance, though not my gratitude. I will say that I have driven through Kansas when the sunflowers are blooming and it is indeed a beautiful sight to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jeanie! That's AOK, dear friend. These blog awards are mostly a way of thanking the kind people who have supported your blog. You have surely been here for me as often as possible this past year, so just enjoy the award and take no further action unless and until you have the time. I hope my Kansas friend Abigail reads your comment because she is quite fond of her state's sunflowers.

      Thank you very much for being such a great friend to me, dear Jeanie, and enjoy your getaway!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you very much, dear Susie! Looks like we belong to a mutual admiration society. Have a great weekend, dear friend!

      Delete
    2. You're right, Susie. How did we live before we followed Sir Shady?

      Delete
    3. Very sweet, both of you! :) :) :) :) :)

      (5 smiley faces is the highest possible score!)

      Delete
  4. Thank you Shady I am honoured.

    I would like to thank my Family for all their support through the years, my Friends for their sage advise, my underwear for it constant support and of course all my readers and commenters.

    *quick curtsey*

    p.s I will try and work out how to put it on the side of my blog

    have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sol! Your underwear deserves an award for Best Supporting Role! :) Thank you very much for coming all the way across the pond to attend the ceremony and claim your award. Enjoy your weekend, my good friend!

      Delete
  5. This was the most colorful award ceremony I have ever attended, Shecky! I won't ask who your writer was, lol!
    Actually, your personality is very colorful and musical, and I congratulate you on this lovely Sunflower award!. Thank you so much for this award Shady. I will try to answer a few of your questions. You had some great answers to the questions presented to you!

    However...I prefer to see you in blue jeans and a white t-shirt with the sleeves rolled up, lol! Thank you so much-I'll see about sending my shadow over! ♫

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Suzanne #1! I'm so glad to see you, dear friend. (Looks like you beat Suzanne #2 here by a few minutes :) I'm glad you got a kick out of the post and enjoyed meeting my own evil twin, Shecky Shady (think Andy Kaufman and Tony Clifton). I'll let Shecky know you prefer the all American Wrangler jeans look to his pink shorts and baby bonnet. :)

      Thanks again, sweet friend. Enjoy your award and have a great weekend!

      Delete
  6. Hi Mr. Shecky Knight! I hear you're running around in pink shorts, Yah! Hey, congrats to Shady on the Sunflower award! He certainly puts out the best on his blog. You know, I've read a few blogs that focus on various music genres, and SDM&M is by far the best one going! Did I do the SD right?

    Shady, you don't try to sell us, you give, give, and give! I hope you continue to show us good times for years to come. I know, there are more stories and lots more music up your sleeve (or pink shorts!)

    Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge with us , and taking time to respond to our questions and comments!

    And, thank you for sharing your awards with all of your gracious readers! Have a wonderful weekend!

    Suzanne, KardKornerKrib

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh-Suzanna! Thank you very much for coming, Suzanne #2! Gosh, your comments are even sweeter than #1's! :) I am inspired to keep blogging for people like you, dear Suzanne. I greatly appreciate your friendship and your A+ sense of humor. You also know a thing or two about music and always have something interesting and knowledgeable to say about my posts. I deeply appreciate your visits and your loyalty. Moreover, your two blogs are chock full of useful information and positive vibes.

      Congratulations to you and the other Suzanne for winning the same award the very same day. What are the odds? :) Thank you again for attending the awards banquet and have a safe and happy weekend, dear Susanne!

      Delete
  7. Thank you for the award. I cackled very loudly as I read your post. I'm afraid, however, that I'll never get the image of Shecky Shady out of my brain.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Janie Junebug! That's right, dear friend. It's gonna take the jaws of life to pry that image out of your head! :) That Shecky's a caution, isn't he?

      No one deserves a blog award more than you, dear Janie. Week after week and year after year you tackle the tough issues, bring us the very best in book and movie reviews and give us humorous glimpses of your personal life. You are the complete blogger and the complete friend. Thank you very much for being here and have a wonderful weekend, Jane!

      Delete
    2. I swear you're one of the nicest people I've ever "met."

      Delete
    3. We have to stop "meeting" like this dear JJ! :) Ditto ditto ditto, my friend. It warms my heart when you call me that "n" word. I hope you and you canine crew had a wonderful weekend. Thank you for coming to see me again. Your kind words make me very happy and you may find that they make you very happy, too.

      Delete
  8. Wow Shady, I'm humbled and flattered. That was quite a dramatic build-up to the list of honorees! I'll do my best to answer the questions on my blog sometime in the coming weeks and pass along the award. Thanks again for being a Go Retro fan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Pam! I certainly am a fan of Go Retro! It's the best blog of its kind and I find myself agreeing with your observations and your p.o.v. I look forward to reading your Sunflower answers and I congratulate you on being an award winning blogger. Take care, dear friend Pam, and have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  9. "Wooohoooo!" *wild applause* *Daisy yips with excitement*
    I have to say that that was by far, hands down, THE BEST award post i've ever seen in my life. You deserve an extra award just for making these post so entertaining!!
    It was quite interesting to read your answers to my questions and the one's that you're asking your nominees look quite promising as well.
    Congratulations on another award, Shady. Thanks for being an awesome blogger
    -Abigail and Daisy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Abigail and Daisy! Oh, dear friend (s), you made my day and week with these stellar comments! We all yearn to be appreciated, but it is especially meaningful when someone from another generation appreciates and "gets" what you're trying to do. You are simply the greatest, kiddo, and I am very grateful to have you as a friend. Thank you again for giving me this award and please have a safe and happy weekend with your fur baby, Daisy!

      Program note: In tonight's episode of Gilligan's Island, the Professor makes a radio out of a coconut! :)

      In tonight's installment of The Beverly Hillbillies, Miss Hathaway elopes with Jethro! :)

      Delete
  10. Congratulations on winner The Sunflower Blogger Award, Shady! I loved reading your answers and I have to tell you that I got a big laugh from reading Shecky Shady's wise cracks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well hello, dear Lucy in the Sky! I've been missing you and very much appreciate your kind visit today. I'm glad you got a laugh or two out of Shecky Shady's antics and enjoyed reading my straight answers in this award post.

      I hope you've been well, Lucy, and once again I do very much appreciate your visits to SDM&M. Have a terrific weekend dear friend!

      Delete
  11. Oh Shady I just love how you shared you nominations, so funny! Have you ever done stand up or announcing or anything? I feel like you would be good at that from reading your blog. SDM&M definitely has humor, heart, and soul.
    Have a lovely day :)
    Amia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, dear Amia! I'm so pleased to see you, birthday girl! To answer your question, I was a staff voice-over announcer at two TV stations and also did some comedy writing. It is so nice of you to quote back to me the three components of SDM&M: humor, heart and soul. I really appreciate that. Thank you very much for coming to the awards presentation, dear friend Amia, and enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  12. Congrats on the award Shady, I loved reading your answers. This was definitely one of the best acceptance post I've ever read!

    Thank you for passing the award on to me also! Hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, dear Sarah! Thank you very much for coming over to claim your award. It is well deserved because your blog offers a pleasing blend of subjects: vintage clothes and bios of clothing industry icons, sewing tips and me-made modeling, London lifestyle and great music. I enjoy your blog and your personality and very much appreciate your ongoing friendship and support.

      Thanks again for being here, dear friend Sarah, and enjoy the rest of your English weekend!

      Delete
  13. Kathleen Mae SchneiderJune 22, 2014 at 4:22 AM

    The sunflower award is an appropriate one for you, Tom. Just like the flower, you turn to the light on your blog. This post is a good example - we not only learned more about you, we got some laughs along the way that brightened our day.

    It's always good to have something uplifting to look forward to on SDM&M, so we can turn our faces to the sun and smile as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kathleen! Thank you very much for dropping by, dear friend! As you can see it's S.R.O. here at the Sunflower Awards and I thank you for being willing to stand at the back of the auditorium to listen to my acceptance speech and catch Shecky Shady's stand-up routine. I was hoping to get Buddy Hackett but he was unavailable and Don Rickles' agent never returned my call.

      Thank you very much for comparing me to a flower. It isn't the first time. The mean kids used to call me "Pansy" and "Stink Weed." :)

      I hope you and Mother are in good health and good spirits, dear Kathleen, and I thank you once again for coming. Have a great week!

      Delete
  14. Wow whadda a post! You must keep your wife laughing all the time.

    Thanks for the award - don't believe I have ever had the sunflower award before. I love sunflowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and I love you, dear Coffee Lady! Thank you very much for coming by to pick up your Sunflower award. I hope you find the perfect spot for it on your mantle. :)

      Thanks again, dear friend, and have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  15. When you get your billion dollars, don't forget I am a deserving person! I can see you in France sipping coffee in a sidewalk cafe. You sure made me laugh today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Belle! I'm very happy to see you, dear friend! Don't worry - if I get a billion dollars I promise to split it with you! :)

      Of course, a billion dollars doesn't go as far as it used to. The other day I bought a loaf of bread, a quart of milk and a gallon of gas and it came close to that. :)

      I think it would do us both some good to hang out in the French countryside for at least a short while... a few years maybe. :)

      I'm glad I made you laugh today, dear friend Belle. Thanks again for popping in for a visit and have a wonderful week ahead!

      Delete
  16. OMG, Tom, you have multiple personalities!!! Love that Shecky shenanigans. What else could we expect from Shady but wonderful/clever/interesting answers to all the questions. One thing, with your billion dollar wish list, you forgot to buy the Dell and take over where John left off! I know it's all a dream but, we all need to dream, right? Congrats on another well deserving award--next time, get the reverb fixed on the mic!!! LOL!
    Toni Deroche

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Toni!... oni... oni... oni... (LOL) Yessum, I need to get that reverb adjusted, but at least my microphone didn't make that loud, annoying feedback squeal.

      Thank you very much for fighting your way through the paparazzi to attend the awards bash, listen to my acceptance speech, and catch Shecky's act. (Now you can skip that next planned trip to Vegas! :)

      I figured you would wonder why I didn't say I'd buy the Dell with my billion dollars. I'll bet if you asked Dell Rat Greg he would be able to answer that question for me. If it was three years ago and you still owned the Dell and the dance hall was still standing, then I would be very tempted to buy the Dell and restore it to its original glory. That ship has sailed. The dance hall was reduced to rubble and almost all the original artwork and graffiti lost. It just wouldn't be the same. It was a nice dream while it lasted but I don't have it anymore. Sad but true.

      Anyway, thank you very much for coming by, dear friend Toni. I hope your week's off to a wonderful start and will only get better. Take care and please come back again soon!

      Delete
    2. Wow, I'm getting in under the wire! I was gone and hadn't read any blogs! You crack me up Shady! Hey, you and Jordan could do stand up routines together...Eddy could be the straight man/dog! Thanks for this award..I'm not worthy! I will post in a few days since I just posted today. I enjoyed your answers and to answer your question on my blog...yep Jord is moving. He moved home to save money and pay off debts...mission accomplished. We've enjoyed having him here but it's time to move on. He's taking Eddy of course, but will still be in Ashland so we'll see them often and granddog sit too.Thanks for the award and for being such a fun blog buddy! Have a great week!

      Delete
    3. Hi, dear YaYa! Thank you for stopping in to collect your bloggy award. Be sure to give your Bloggy to your doggie! :) I won't lie to you. It makes me sad to know that Eddy will be leaving Whispering Pines. At least he isn't moving away to Orgeon, Portland! I know Eddy and master Jordan will miss you and Jack and the sprawling Pines property. I know Eddy will miss combing the Creepy Woods in search of the elusive Yeti. I will miss seeing him in practically every one of your posts. I do hope you can take and share pictures of him often. I love Eddy.

      Thank you again for joining the fun today, dear friend YaYa. Congratulations on your Sunflower Award and enjoy the rest of your day and week!

      Delete
  17. Okay, I am very annoyed. I follow blogs by email and I never got your blog post! This has happened with a couple other blogs I follow, too--got them for a while and then they stopped but say I already follow if I try to sign up again. *sigh* Well, that was my intro--LOL!

    Anyways, I thank you. Karma thanks you. (I felt like I was right there below the stage with a cocktail in hand.) I will actually answer these later. (Normally don't do awards.) You are sweet to have thought of us up here in Fargo. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, dear Rita! Thank you very much for coming! Several people in our friend circle are having problems with Blogger including me. I hope Mr. Goodwrench is busy fixing the problem. I am very thankful that you found this post in time to pick up your award before I had to put in in moth balls. :) Yessum, I want you to share your Sunflower trophy with Karma. (She can use it as a scratching post :)

      Thank you again for attending the awards ceremony, dear friend Rita. I hope you and Karma enjoy the rest of your day in Fargo!

      Delete
  18. LOL, loved this blog post…and I do share in your admiration of several of our fellow bloggers. Just left This Is Me's and I as so sad. We follow each other on FB so I will get to hear about her goings on but I loved her blog so much. Hope you have a great summer and don't eeeeven think about shutting this sweet blog down!
    Hugs~Oh and you made me cry with your sweet words on my wedding post. My sister asked if you had commented as she loves reading your comments. I told her yes so she was going to go back and read your comment. Your kindness travels far dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, dear Sush! Thank you very much for coming by again. My heart leaps with joy when I see you here.

      Yessum, I'm sure you noticed my comment on Thisisme's blog and know how sad I am that she has decided to quit. It's a tremendous loss for us all. I am too busy with blogging, my YouTube account and other things to get on the Facebook treadmill and therefore I will no longer be able to follow Thisisme's life on Southhamsdarling. We have promised to keep in touch by email, however.

      Dear Sush, I cried all the way through your daughter's wedding post. It touched me deeply. I have come to know and care about your large family and I am grateful to know that you and your sister appreciate my comments and can feel the love I have for all of you.

      Thank you again for brightening my day, dear friend, and please come back again soon. Have a wonderful Wednesday, Sush!

      Delete
  19. Congratulations on your award! And once again another marvellous post with many giggles. I hope December hurries the heck up! Glad to see someone in the north has the same 5 months of cruddy weather to slog through... actually springs not that bad, but December has all the parties!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just found your comment, dear friend, Cat, and I thank you very much for leaving it. I'm glad you got a few giggles out of it! Take care, dear friend, and please come back again soon. You are important to me!

      Delete
  20. The best Value Deals in pakistan where you get accessories, clothing, electronics, featured products, health care, hot deals for womens,
    jewelry, lifestyle and much more deals for mens and womens, join this deal fast and get 90% Discount.
    www.valuedeals.pk

    ReplyDelete

You talkin' to me?