CLOSE YOUR EYES. TAKE A DEEP BREATH. OPEN YOUR HEART.

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR
High School Yearbook Photo

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight
HELLO STRANGER ... IT SEEMS LIKE A MIGHTY LONG TIME!

Friday, November 2, 2012

Election Eve Special: Ron & Shady Join Rainbow Coalition Led by Brown!


 Dell Rat Ron's back for Part 3 

 of our popular series Potpourri. 

 It's another mixed bag... 

 a kaleidoscopic cornucopia 

 of canticles just cos we can. 

I'm stoked because Ron's bringin' Brown... James Brown...
the shouting, shimmying, sweating R&B legend who's always a hit on this blog. In addition I'll be playing groovy greats by various other artists. The only thing these vinyl victuals have in common is listenability.

 Ron, while you're drapin' the cape 

 around JB... getting him ready for 

 his first curtain call... please allow 

 me to take the first spin. 


 LENNY WELCH 


In the upcoming volume 7 of my Dueling Doo-Wops series I'll be introducing a version of "Since I Fell For You" performed by the Harptones. Today I'd like you to hear the best selling recording of the bluesy 1940s standard. It's by Lenny Welch, an African American pop singer who was well on his way to becoming the next Johnny Mathis until a series of bad breaks derailed his career. Lenny was riding high on this top 5 hit when his record label, Cadence, suddenly folded. Welch had his recording career put on hold when Uncle Sam called him into military duty. When Lenny returned from the service he went a.w.o.l. from the music business to clear his head and hone his craft, but in so doing he lost traction and was never again able to get back into the groove.  Let's listen to Lenny at the peak of his career singing "Since I Fell For You."

 "Since I Fell for You" - Lenny Welsh (January 1964, 
 highest chart position #4) 




 JAMES BROWN 


 ALL ABOARD THE NIGHT TRAIN! 


 Ron, I'm bewildered. 
 I'll go crazy if you don't 
 play some James Brown. 
 You've got the power and 
 you've got the platters. 
 Please please please 
 spin us some JB's! 


 Shady, in Volume 2 of 
 our Dueling Doo-Wops 
 series you posted a 
 couple of old R&B 
 ballads by James Brown. 
 I agree that Brown's 
 early recordings are his 
 best. I had more than 
 50 of his 45's and there 
 were many records I 
 didn't have. The most 
 frequently requested 
 Brown song on the 
 Rock 180 and a song 
 that I believe every 
 band in the area 
 included in their sets, 
 was "Good Good Lovin". 
This was released by Federal Records in 1959 with "Don't 
Let it Happen to Me" as the flip. 


 As popular as it was, at least in Central Pennsylvania, 
 "Good Good Lovin'" failed to chart, even on the R&B survey. 

 "Good Good Lovin'" - James Brown (late 1959, uncharted) 





 ANDY WILLIAMS 

Time to shift gears again, Ron, and hear from the late, great Andy Williams. Many people remember the singing star from his popular music variety TV show. Some recall that Williams testified at the trial of his ex-wife, French singer/dancer Claudine Longet, who was charged in the shooting death of her boyfriend, Alpine ski racer Spider Sabich. Andy Williams' testimony must have helped because Claudine served only 30 days in jail.

In addition to releasing Lenny Welch's biggest hit, Cadence Records helped build the career of Andy Williams. When Cadence closed up shop, Andy purchased the company's masters and reissued them on his own label, Barnaby. His new material was released on Columbia.


One of Andy Williams' biggest career hits was "Can't Get Used to Losing You," a record that went to #1 on Cash Box but spent 7 weeks trapped at the #2 spot on Billboard playing second fiddle to two girl group smashes, "He's So Fine" by the Chiffons and "I Will Follow Him' by Little Peggy March.
For some reason "Can't Get Used to Losing You" tickled my fancy. Don't ask me why, it just did. My parents were elated. They took it as a sure sign that the exorcism was a success and that I was turning away from rock 'n' roll and embracing "good" music... "real" music... aka their music. Yeah...NO!

 "Can't Get Used to Losing You" - Andy Williams (April 1963, 
 highest chart position #2) 




 More shades of Brown, Ron? 

 You better know it, Shady! It's "The Bells," James Brown's 
 first single release for King Records. The 1960 recording is 
 a cover of a 1952 Billy Ward & The Dominoes's song which 
 featured Clyde McPhatter on lead. "The Bells" is a dynamite 
 blues ballad backed with "And I Do What I Want," but here 
 again neither side charted. 

 "The Bells" - James Brown (late 1960, uncharted) 





 "Bells" has a familiar 

 ring to it, Ron, and 

 here's one I'm sure 

 you'll remember. 



 JACKIE ROSS 

Saint Louie soul songstress Jackie Ross started out as many black vocalists did, singing gospel. Both of her parents were preachers and at age three Jackie began singing on the radio show that they operated. In the early 60s Jackie moved to Chicago. After a stint at Sam Cooke's SAR Records she signed with Chess. In the summer of 1964 Jackie released "Selfish One" which became her biggest hit, just missing the top 10 on both the black and the white charts. Jackie Ross never became Diana Ross but she left us with an excellent example of mid 60s Chi-Town soul.


 "Selfish One" - Jackie Ross (September 1964, 
 highest chart position #11) 




 Ron, looks like you're fixin' to 

 deal a double dose of dynamite 

 with a James Brown two-fer! 



 That's right, Shady. One of my favorite James Brown 
 singles from 1964 is a doublesider on King. Both sides 
 are excellent. The A-side, "So Long," is superb bluesy 
 ballad. 

 "So Long" - James Brown (June 1964, highest chart 
 position #132) 




Hold that thought, Ron, while I insert another of my faves. It was recorded by
a Florida born, 'Bama raised country pop singer who earned his street cred playing guitar for Roy Orbison. He produced some worthy wax but lost me as a fan when he poured on the honey.

 BOBBY GOLDSBORO 

I doubt that I could ever forgive Bobby Goldsboro for inflicting the ooey-gooey, ichy sticky tear-jerker "Honey"
on the world. The syrupy weeper was released in 1968 and spent four weeks (much too long) at #1 on the U.S. chart and sold something like a gazillion copies worldwide. "Honey" gave me hives! I lunged for the radio dial whenever it started to play. I'd rather be strapped to a chair and forced to listen to a loop of Pat Boone crooning heavy metal favorites!


Let's turn back the clock to the mid 60s when Goldsboro was still under the influence of Roy Orbison. Bobby cranked out some great recordings during that period including "See the Funny Little Clown," "Voodoo Woman," "Too Many People" and "It's Too Late." At the start of 1965 Bobby released a Pretty Womanish recording called "Little Things" and I went for it in a big way!

 "Little Things" - Bobby Goldsboro (March 1965, highest 
 chart position #13) 




 Speaking of little things, 

 let's hear that James Brown 

 killer bee, Ron. 

 Shady, the B-side of "So Long" is "Dancin' Little Thing" 
 and it's a scorcher. 

 "Dancin' Little Thing" - James Brown (June 1964, uncharted 
 B side of "So Long") 




 Ron, here's a group of Jersey girls who 

 released a gem of a song in 1964 that 

 coulda shoulda woulda been a top 10 hit 

 had it not been for the invading moptops. 


 PATTY & THE EMBLEMS 

Although three of its four members were male, the soul act called Patty & the Emblems falls into the girl group category thanks to the soulful vocals of lead singer Patty Russell. The Camden, New Jersey group had only one hit in their career, "Mixed-Up, Shook Up, Girl." The record, which charted in the summer of 1964, barely made it into the top 40 nationally but was considerably hotter in WSBA land.

 "Mixed-Up, Shook Up, Girl" - Patty & the Emblems 
 (August 1964, highest chart position #37) 




 Ron, I believe you have one more 

 JB gem remaining. Lay it on us! 

 For my last spin of the day, Shady, 
 I'd like to play a James Brown song 
 that was popular during the Christmas 
 season of 1962. The Del-Chords 
 played it occasionally. Had to walk 
 up to Bupp at the stage to ask what 
 it was. Went out the next week and 
 bought it at the "Disc". It's the flip 
 side of "Three Hearts in a Tangle," 
 a genuine JB killer bee called "I've 
 Got Money." 

 "I've Got Money" - James Brown (December 1962, 
 uncharted B side of "Three Hearts in a Tangle") 





 Ron, let me wrap it up 


 with a def dancer by a 

 Philly girl group known 

 as the Sherrys. 



 THE SHERRYS 


The Sherrys were sisters Delthine and Dinell Cook along with Charlotte Butler and Delores Wylie. The Sherrys started out as background singers for teen idol Bobby Rydell. When The Popeye became the latest dance craze during the Halloween season of 1962 thanks to Chubby Checker's hit "Popeye (The Hitchhiker)," the Sherrys released their own variation on the popeye theme with a single called "Pop Pop Pop-Pie." The record went top 40 on both the black and the white charts and earned the girls a shot on American Bandstand.

 "Pop Pop Pop-Pie" - The Sherrys (November 1962, highest 
 chart position #35 Hot 100, #40 Cash Box, #25 R&B) 



Don Covay and his R&B group the Goodtimers milked the Popeye dance craze a while longer with "Popeye Waddle,"
a single that charted in January and February of 1963.


 Thank you, Dell Rat Ron for 

 joining the Rainbow Coalition 

 and playing Potpourri with me 

 again today! See you next time, 

 good buddy! 

Have a Shady day!

22 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed hearing Lenny Welch for the first time today, and I'm glad you all introduced me to him. (All the others were good, too!)

    A bit of trivia since you mentioned Roy Orbison: the father of a friend of mine used to teach remedial college English. Roy Orbison was one of his students.

    This line, "They took it as a sure sign that the exorcism was a success and that I was turning away from rock 'n' roll and embracing "good" music... "real" music..." completely cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Shelly! My mother was the one. She tried and tried and tried to get me to turn away from the devil's music (rock 'n' roll) and get me interested in "good music" - the big band sounds and front singers of the WWII era. Mom clutched her heart when the Beatles washed ashore believing the world was coming to and end. Gangsta rap was still light years away. I'm glad I gave you a smile and a chuckle this morning, dear friend. Have a good one!

      Delete
  2. naturally I loved the James Brown tracks, but I also fell head over heels in love with Jackie Ross. I looked up a few of her tracks on itunes and can tell "selfish one" and "take me for awhile" are going to be a part of my music library very shortly :) thanks for the introduction to this sassy lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome, Amber! There are several under achievers in this batch and Jackie is one of them. She deserved greater success as did Lenny Welch and others. I'm glad you enjoyed the post and I hope you have a safe and happy weekend. I guess I spoke too soon about the coast being clear because Al Roker says another nor'easter is brewing! You guys can't catch a break! Take care, dear friend!

      Delete
  3. Speaking of Chubby Checker, he also had a cover of JB's Good Good Lovin. Being a great fan of JB, I really enjoyed Ron's picks. Some of my favorite JB stuff was not his top 10s. Keep up the good work on the historical trivia.

    Jerre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do, Jerre. Chubby is another great example. Often dismissed as the Twist King, Chubby was a versatile artist who recorded some great material in folk and other categories and had some strong B sides that never charted. "At the Discothque," the B side of the minor hit "Let's Do the Freddy." is one of my top faves. Stay tuned, Jerre. The next installment of Dueling Doo-Wops is coming later this month!

      Delete
  4. Another great one good buddy and enjoyed them all especially one of my favorites Bobby Goldsboro. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Odie! I'm with you on Bobby G. Those Orbison influenced recordings were top notch. I've just never been keen on weepy ballads like "Honey" although many people did embrace the song and sent it to the top of the chart. Have a great weekend, good buddy!

      Delete
  5. Hey, Tom,
    I knew all of your picks and even had a couple of them, i.e. "Pop-Pop-Popeye", "Mixed-Up, Shook-Up Girl" and "Selfish One". Glad you skipped "Honey" (not the same one I use in my tea, thankfully) for "Little Things". I think "Can't Get Used to Losing You" and "Moon River" were Andy's most played and representative songs. I had "The Bilbao Song" on Cadence records. I'm glad to see Amber also likes Jackie Ross's "Take Me for a Little While", the first version I heard of the song, and I believe still the best. Patti LaBelle & The Bluebelles' later cover ranks second.
    Thanks for all the added trivia I didn't know about and thanks to Jerre for the Chubby Checker info above his cover of JB. Will have to check it out.

    Later,
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Ron! As a faithful follower of American Bandstand I figured you might know that record by the Sherrys, the girl group that backed Robert Louis Ridarelli and helped create the early Philly sound. I hope you agree with me that the Patty & the Emblems record was much bigger in WSBA-land than it was nationally. That's how I remember it anyway. Thanks a lot for coming over from New Mexico, Ron, and stay tuned for more tag team fun in Dueling Doo-Wops #7!

      Delete
  6. Good Evening Mr. Knight and Ron! It was great to hear the Lenny Welch song, one of my favorites too. I never knew his story of being in the service and, then stepping away from what could have been a wonderful career. Even tho Andy Williams wasn't on my list of 'Pops', I admired him, and, too, enjoyed the song 'Can't Get Used to Loving You'. That song was made for him! You're right about the 'Honey' song, and, I couldn't have put it better than you- the 'hives'! Love it! But 'Little Things' was good. I remember 'Pop Pop Pop-Pie' by the Sherrys, their vocals were truly good, but I don't remember anything else they did.

    Of course, Ron hit a nerve with James Brown. You know, I wasn't aware of him in the late 50's, don't know why. And, I never heard 'Good Good Lovin', but, I listened and really like it. If I had heard it today without being told who is singing, I wouldn't have thought of JB. It's a smoother rock than I would think for him, but very good-I guess he was just 'easing' his way into that cloak, lol! I did get to see him in concert probably in 1965. He was really a rage in KC! We all wanted to dance like him, and, loved his wardrobe! I still get a kick out of watching him do 'Please Please Please Don't Go', not sure of the name, but you guys know which one I mean. I hated to see him go!

    So 'BRAVO' to the top two RATS! You guys did good. ...Imagine featuring Bobby Goldsboro on the same headline with James Brown!!! Who else would have the nerve? Good Knight! Have a great weekend, and, I'm sure you'll remember to 'fall back'!♫☺♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Susan! Yessum, we all need to remember to turn our clocks back tonight. Thanks for the reminder. I remember James Brown coming to Penn State in concert I believe during my freshman year 1967/68. Don't think I made it to that appearance but I did see him live on the grandstand of the York Fair in September of '68. Yessum, our "Potpourri" series gives Ron and me the chance to present a variety of artists in one "show" --something for everybody. Don't miss our next installment when Marilyn Manson squares off against The Singing Nun! (LOL) Thanks so much for your visit and delightful comments, dear Susan, and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

      Delete
  7. Great post Ron/Tom! I was lucky enough to see the man himself, James Brown five months before he died, I'll always treasure that memory!

    Emma x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Emma! - WOW, that is an amazing piece of trivia. Like Elvis, James Brown had a long career, went through various phases and staged a comeback. I liked the early Elvis best and I liked the early JB best. As Susan mentioned above, James Brown had the nasty dialed back during the 50s and early 60s and recorded some excellent ballads and mid tempo songs that remain unknown to many fans, especially the younger ones. I am very pleased to see you, dear friend Emma, and I hope your Irish weekend is progressing nicely. I'll be seeing you again soon, dear!

      Delete
  8. Many of these are old favorites of mine: Since I Fell for You, Can't Get Used to Losing You, and Little Things are the top three for me. I've never heard the song by Patty and the Emblems, but I just loved it! Too bad they didn't go farther, but as you say music changed when the Beatles came. Thanks, Shady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Belle! How'r you doing, dear friend? I'm glad you know and enjoyed a few of these selections. "Mixed-Up, Shook-Up Girl" must have been much bigger on the East Coast than it was out your way. The title borrowed from two popular expressions of the late 50s: "crazy mixed-up kid" (think James Dean) a phrase often used in movies about troubled teens and juvenile delinguents, and "all shook-up" the hit record by Elvis Presley. I'm so happy to see you again, dear Belle, and I hope you are well and in good spirits. Take care!

      Delete
  9. Hello, Shady- I can see the title of your newest post, Clinically Proven: The Epic Odyssey of a Band Called The Soul Clinic, Part 9, in my reader, but when I click on it, it takes me back to my reader page. I'll keep trying to access it later, as I know it's good, but wanted to let you know why I'm unable to read it now-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that's just bizarre, Shelly, because that post was published four months ago! (LOL) You might recall that a few of the nine posts in that Soul Clinic series failed to show up in readers when I published them back in May and June. Seems like those missing posts are just now finding their way into the stream at this late date. You are a sweetheart for following through and clicking on it just in case and especially for coming by to let me know about the problem. That's true blue friendship, Shelly! F.Y.I. - my next post will be pubbed this Friday.

      Delete
  10. Well this was a fun post - I hadn't heard a lot of this music before. I have to agree with you on the Bobby Goldsboro thing: I give Honey 2 thumbs down, but Little Things 2 thumbs up! James Brown? Meh... I've never really been a fan, but it's fun to read about him from someone who is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, karen! I'm glad we agree about the syrupy "Honey" by Bobby Goldsboro. You either dislike that song or you HATE it! (LOL) For months on end it seemed like that tear-jerker came on the radio every five minutes. If James Brown doesn't get your vote that's AOK. We all have our tastes in music and everything else. We all get to choose our friends. I chose you and I am grateful that you chose me. I wish you and the candidate of your choice good luck in today's election. You ran a very clean campaign on your blog, dear friend, and that was very much appreciated.

      Delete
  11. James Brown the Godfather of Soul! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Katie! James was also nicknamed Mr. Dynamite and The Hardest Working Man in Show Business. He earned all of those titles. Thanks so much for coming by, dear friend!

      Delete

You talkin' to me?