CLOSE YOUR EYES. TAKE A DEEP BREATH. OPEN YOUR HEART.

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR
High School Yearbook Photo

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight
HELLO STRANGER ... IT SEEMS LIKE A MIGHTY LONG TIME!

Friday, May 25, 2012

Clinically Proven: The Epic Odyssey of a Band Called The Soul Clinic, Part 3


 THEY WERE INFLUENCED BY 

 SOUL MEN LIKE SAM AND DAVE. 





 WITH A SUBTLE CHANGE OF DIRECTION 

 AND A LITTLE LUCK THEY COULD HAVE BEEN 

 THE NEXT CHICAGO TRANSIT AUTHORITY. 






 THEY WERE THE EIGHT... 


 THEY WERE THE GREAT... 


THEY WERE 





Welcome back to part 3 of my interview with The Soul Clinic, the eight man R&B band from York, Pennsylvania. This is the first interview that The Clinic has granted in more than 40 years and I am honored to be presenting it to you exclusively here on SDM&M.


S.D. KNIGHT: Rick Dillman, I understand that you'd like to start off this segment with another round of show and tell. Let's see what you brought with you today, my friend.

 RICK DILLMAN:  I thought you might like to see a couple 
 of behind the scenes candids taken in a dressing room in 
 1968. They show how we looked in our tuxes. 


 In the picture above from left to right are Larry Smith, 
 Mike Eads and Clark Miller.  The picture below shows 
 Rick Terlazzo sitting in front of his briefcase. 


 We all got briefcases to keep our socks, cumberbuns etc. 
 I think most of us had the same one after Rick T started it. 





 This is a picture of me 
 in my green tuxedo. 






 The picture below is another one of the band performing at 
 Altland's Soul Ranch in 1967. 


S.D. KNIGHT: Great pics, Rick. Now, Little D, as you recall from our previous segment, we did the math and determined than an entire year passed between the time that Rick T, Clark and Mike joined Larry's band and the time you finally joined.  How did you get into The Soul Clinic?




 RICK DILLMAN: Rick and Larry 
 kinda stole Clark and Mike first. 
 I stayed in the Concords for a 
 while and eventually got an 
 audition to play with the Soul 
 Clinic around September of  
 1967. My audition piece was 
 the tune "Break Down and 
 Let It All Out" by the O'Jays.  



 "Let it All Out" - The O'Jays (from their 1965 album 
 Comin' Through, uncharted B side of "You're the One 
 (You're the Only One)" 



 RICK DILLMAN: There was a high D note in the trumpet 
 part that I hit both times during the audition which sealed 
 the deal. Plus I could dance..haha. I joined The Soul Clinic 
 around November of '67 as the youngest member of the 
 band (14 1/2). 



 RICK TERLAZZO: After all personnel acquisitions had 
 been completed The Soul Clinic consisted of the 
 following members: 

 Tony Scott - Lead vocals 
 Larry Smith - Drums & group leader - York Catholic 
 Rick Terlazzo - Organ - York Catholic 
 Ted Saxon - Bass guitar - York High 
 Mike Eads - Guitar - Carlisle High 
 Bruce Delauder - Sax- York High 
 Clark Miller -Trombone, vocals - Central High 
 Rick Dillman -Trumpet - York High 

 These were the eight who 
performed the two songs 
on the 
 band's single: “So Sharp” b/w "No One Loves Me Anymore." 

S.D. KNIGHT:  Ted Saxon, hello and welcome! I'd like to ask you the same question that I asked Barry Shultz, Ed Furst and Rick Terlazzo. What prompted you to become a musician and play guitar in a band?

 TED SAXON: 

 I had no choice but to become a 
 musician. My father was a great 
 local jazz pianist who played on 
 radio. My mother played pipe 
 organ at local churches. Along 
 with my brothers Thad and Dale 
 I played music in churches from 
 the time I was three years old. 


S.D. KNIGHT: Thanks, Ted! Turning now to you, Mike Eads, 
same question. How did you get started as a guitarist?


------------------   Mike Eads  

 It happened to me when I saw Elvis on The Ed Sullivan 
 Show. I asked my Mom, "What's that around his neck?" 
 She said, "A guitar." I immediately said, "I want one." 
 Got a Roy Rogers guitar for X-mas that year. Plunked 
 a little, then lost interest. 

 Then we moved into town and an R&B/Soul band.. 
 THE R&B/Soul band of my area.. The Orlonzos ... 
 rehearsed in the house behind mine. I would go listen 
 to them and met my 'mentor', Nick Holly, who played 
 guitar in the band. Nick showed me things. He also said 
 to come down to Shiloh Baptist church in Carlisle on 
 Sundays and sit in. The Orlonzo's were the house band 
 backing up the choir. So I did. The first time, it was a 
 scene out of The Blues Brothers movie. Nick saw me 
 listening in the doorway, held his guitar up, and waved 
 me in. The rest was history. Some of the best musical 
 'education' I had. 

 Nick unfortunately passed away last year. But just 
 about every time I strap the thing around my neck, 
 as I still do it full time as my living .. I think of Nick, 
 I think of all the guys I've had the pleasure of playing 
 alongside, as well as, hopefully, all the guys I will be 
 playing alongside. But, most of all, I think of all the 
 'adventures' music and this piece of wood and metal 
 have taken me on ... and hopefully still will. So I just rub 
 the neck affectionately and whisper to 'her', ... "time to 
 go for another ride." Maybe a bit dramatic sounding but, 
 nevertheless, true. I've been very fortunate to be able to 
 do such.  

S.D. KNIGHT: Nicely put, Mike. Thank you! Okay, Little D,
it's your turn. What made you want to become a musician and join a band?

 RICK DILLMAN: For me, from the first time I saw a trumpet 
 being played well, music seemed to be the most important 
 thing in my world.  Music is transcendent, transformational, 

 and one of the most 
 physical and sensual 
 forms of communicating 
 with yourself and others. 
 To connect with an 
 instrument physically 
 and emotionally and 
 at the same time to 
 connect with other 
 musicians and create 
 something expressive 
 and beautiful is thrilling 
 and fulfilling on all levels. 
 To be recognized and 
 appreciated by your 
 friends and peers made 
 playing in the bands something that each of us feel were 
 some of the most wonderful moments of our lives and 
 we will always fondly remember them. 

S.D. KNIGHT: I'm feelin' ya, Little D. Thanks! Bruce Delauder, welcome to you, my friend. Tell us a little about yourself. How did you get started playing sax?

 BRUCE DELAUDER: 

 I was born in Frederick, 
 Maryland and got started in 
 music in the seventh grade 
 through the band program. 
 I started out playing alto 
 saxophone. My family moved 
 to York in 1961. During this 
 period I played Tenor sax 
 with various local bands at 
 local York spots like the Elks 
 and American Legion, local dance venues, colleges and 
 bars. Those experiences led to an association with Larry 
 and later on to being a member of The Soul Clinic. 

S.D. KNIGHT: Thanks so much, Bruce! Guys, I'm curious about something. How did the Soul Clinic end up with eight members, three black and five white, with one black lead singer? Was that band configuration a conscious decision 
or was it based on personnel available at the time?

 RICK DILLMAN: Just worked out this way. Because our 
 horn section could sing back up we didn't need extra 
 singers. Clark sang the tunes that were in the higher 
 register. Tony handled the rest. 

S.D. KNIGHT: How was it decided to make The Soul Clinic
an integrated band rather than an all white band performing primarily black music as the Magnificent Men were doing?


 LARRY SMITH: 

 There was no conscious 
 decision. My parents were 
 professional dancers and my 
 mom a singer also, in the 40s. 
 They were in showbiz. They 
 loved jazz and "black" music. 
 I was exposed to it my whole 
 life. My first professional gigs 
 were with a black band called 
 DON and THE WONDERS. 
 I was this 12 and 13 year old 
 little white kid with these LARGE AFRICAN AMERICAN 
 GENTLEMEN. That's how I learned to play soul music. 

S.D. KNIGHT: Larry, I'm blown away by this ultra rare image of Don and the Wonders that you managed to find. Can you tell us who's who?



--------------   Don and the Wonders  

 LARRY SMITH:  The core of Don and the Wonders was 
 Don "Duck" Generett and his two brothers.  Buck Generett 
 is front and center holding the guitar. His brother Ervin is 
 on the far left. Don Generett is to Buck's right. The other 
 members of The Wonders in this picture remain unidentified 
 but we know that one of them is Ronnie Scott who played 
 keyboards and provided vocals. As many of you recall, 
 Ronnie was formerly with The Quin-Tones. 

S.D. KNIGHT: Larry, your story reminds me of Philadelphia broadcast legend Jerry Blavat who became the first white jockey on an all black radio station. Jerry's philosophy that "music doesn’t know any color lines” certainly applies to your membership in Don and the Wonders and other mixed race bands like the Del-Chords and The Soul Clinic.

 LARRY SMITH: To all our credit, nobody cared what color 
 you were, just how hard you could groove... 


 The Del-Chords and the Endells disbanded then reformed 
 as all white simply because there were many places that 
 would not book a "mixed" band. We just didn't care I guess. 

S.D. KNIGHT: Larry, this is a great time for us to get to know you better. Why and how did you become a drummer?


------------------   Larry Smith 

 From the time I was 3 or 4, I used to beat on everything. 
 Pretzel cans, furniture, pots & pans. I was always around 
 music. Both my mom and dad were professional dancers 
 and instructors in NYC in the early 40's. My mom was also 
 a singer. As I said they both loved jazz & big-band music, 
 and my dad loved to play hand percussion (tambourine, 
 cowbells, maraccas) He had great rhythm, but never 
 learned to play a "drum kit". He used to sneak backstage 
 at Carnegie Hall to hear Benny Goodman with GENE KRUPA 
 on drums! Well, they got to know him and they became 
 friends. Same with Count Basie and Stan Kenton. Soon 
 WWII came along and Larry Sr. joined the Marines. 
 After the war, mom and dad decided to start their family. 

 I started drum lessons when I was 7 years old. I believe 
 I got my first drum set for Christmas 1956. Sometime in 
 1957, my Dad took me to THE VALENCIA BALLROOM in 
 downtown York.  There was also a smaller club inside. 
 Appearing there was GENE KRUPA and his Quartet. We had 
 a table no more than 6 ft from his drum riser! He played 
 his famous "Sing, Sing, Sing" solo. WOW!!! 



 After the set Gene came RIGHT OVER TO ME. "Hi! Your dad 
 tells me you are a drummer." "Yes sir!" He sat with us for a 
 while and signed a photo. It turns out my dad had met him 
 in NYC at Carnegie Hall ! 


 In 1957 and 1958, our family started to make treks every 

 summer to Hershey Starlight Ballroom to see The STAN 
 KENTON ORCHESTRA. Both mom & dad had known Stan 
 for years. A pianist, composer & arranger, he was known 
 for his progressive jazz arrangements. Superb musicians... 
 I was blown away. 



 We never missed a year of Stan Kenton's show in Hershey. 

 He started to bring me up on stage and let me sit next to 
 the drummer and watch him! Then, in the summer of 1961, 
 he asked: "Do you want to play tonight?". "Sure!" Oh shit! 
 Of course I did...just scared. I mean this is an 18 or 20 
 piece band. That's like an 11 year old driving an 18 wheeler! 
 During this same time I was also playing along to my sister's 
 45's. Fats Domino, Buddy Holly, Elvis, Little Richard, 
 James Brown... 

S.D. KNIGHT: Great stories, Larry! You had some incredible childhood experiences and I'll be asking you to share more 
of them next time. Right now I'm curious. We just found out about Larry's early influences. Who can tell me which music acts influenced The Soul Clinic to the greatest extent?

 RICK DILLMAN: In the beginning we were most influenced 
 by the Stax sound, Sam & Dave in particular. Otis Redding 
 was a favorite along with Aretha.  I also got way into the 
 first Blood Sweat Tears album. 

 "I Can't Quit Her" - Blood Sweat & Tears 
 (from February 1968 album Child is Father to the Man



 RICK DILLMAN: I think our sound and feel was similar to 
 Sly and the Family Stone. 

 Medley: "Everyday People"/"Dance to the Music" - Sly and 
 the Family Stone ("Everyday People" charted January 1969, 
 highest chart position #1/"Dance to the Music" charted in 
 April 1968, highest chart position #8) 



 RICK DILLMAN: We were best on stage as we had a show  
 and dance moves. 

S.D. KNIGHT: Was The Soul Clinic influenced by the Del-Chords and the Magnificent Men?

 LARRY SMITH: I believe there was some influence, but we 
 were naturally drawn to a funkier, grittier sound. 

 "Let a Woman Be a Woman - Let a Man Be a Man" 
 - Dyke and the Blazers (October 1969, highest chart 
 position #36 Hot 100/#4 R&B




 MIKE EADS: I agree with Larry.  We were influenced maybe 
 a little by The Mag Men, but we had pretty much our own 
 sound and style going. Not that it was that much different 
 from all the other "soul/horn bands" around at the time. 

 "Tighten Up" - Archie Bell and the Drells (May 1968, 
 highest chart position #1) 



 MIKE EADS: That's just the way it was then. Like the 
 Grunge bands of the 90's. We all dressed similar, did 
 pretty much the same songs, and worked most of the 
 same venues. Except the Magnificent Men 'broke on 
 through to the other side' .. when they had two 
 successful albums. As did The Soul Clinic to some 
 degree with the success of "So Sharp". 

S.D. KNIGHT: Let me ask you this, Mike. Were the members of The Soul Clinic close friends with The Del-Chords and the Magnificent Men?

 MIKE EADS: 

 I know Smith, 
Terlazzo, 
 Bupp, and Buddy King 
 already had friendships. 
 I was an 'outsider' ;) 
 from Carlisle, so any of 
 mine developed through 
 those guys. Dave Bupp, 
 Terlazzo and I had one 
 later in '76-'77 and '80 
 when I had the band 
 'Atlantic Crossing' and 
 asked them to 'see 
 what they could do'. Then Bupp came to L.A. in '81 and 
 I got him an apartment across from mine in N. Hollywood. 


S.D. KNIGHT: It stands to reason that Larry Smith was friends with Dave Bupp and Buddy King because he was a member of the Del-Chords when they recorded their single "Everybody's Gotta Lose Someday," the soul ballad ranked
#2 on my list of The 200 Greatest Hits of the Shady Dell.


 "Everybody's Gotta Lose Someday" - The Del-Chords 
 (December 1964, uncharted) 



S.D. KNIGHT: When we return on Monday Larry will share more epic tales from The Wonders Years and tell us about his stint with Bupp and the boys. Have a great weekend, guys!


 What strange events got 

 Larry Smith into the 

 Wonders and The Del-Chords? 

 Which soul star opened his limo 

 to The Soul Clinic guys? 





 Meet the who's who 

 of the Old York music scene 

 Monday in Part 4 

 of Clinically Proven! 

Have a Shady day!

18 comments:

  1. A mother lode of golden information, Shady! Even though I was born in the 60's and don't remember much about the music, this takes me back like I'm living it myself. So very interesting.

    Have you thought about turning this and the story of the Shady Dell into a book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelly - I just got a comment from Jenny (on the previous post) asking if a screen play is in the offing. (LOL) There's certainly enough material, isn't there? The Soul Clinic, The Magnificent Men and countless other groups, bands and solo artists emerged at a time when Motown, Memphis and Chitown were cranking out a steady stream of Soul/R&B hits. Soon, however, the times changed, and acts based on that type of music were forced to decide whether to follow popular trends or remain faithful to their roots. You will see how that issue impacted The Soul Clinic as their story continues to unfold. Thank you very much for coming over, dear friend. I pray that your spirits will improve one day at a time in the wake of the latest tragedy that has struck so close to home. Have a safe and restful weekend, Shelly. I'm thinking about you!

      Delete
  2. Good Lord, now I have to wait 'til Monday! I'm hangin' on to every word and luvin' every minute of it. I saw The Soul Clinic play many times back in the day, but never had the opportunity to know the guys personally. I feel as though I do now. Thanx so much, Shady, for this exclusive and comprehensive interview, that's been so-o-o-o long overdue.
    Gratefully Yours,
    Thom "Daddy C" Colson
    Lancaster, PA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, hello there, Daddy C! It was the same with me. I saw the Clinic play but never knew the guys until this past year. Now I am proud to count them among my friends (along with you and Dave Bupp). This series is bringing a lot of people together and that's what it's all about for me. Thank you very much for following along. Monday's post will blow your mind and I'll be seeing you then, good buddy!

      Delete
    2. Yo Daddy C,
      Larry and I were at the April Class of 60 Something show. We should have come up and said hi. Next time will do.You guys sounded great BTW, I was singing along with yall, Specially the Temptation tunes. Glad you are enjoying this and also thanks for chipping in.

      Delete
  3. I am enjoying this series so much and have been so impressed by the enormous amount of information. I get through reading and feel like I should know them. You have done an outstanding job on this one good buddy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Odie! That's exactly how I felt as I gathered information and rare pics for the series. I have come to know and care about the men of The Clinic. I'm glad you're getting involved in their story as well. Thanks for stopping in, good buddy, and have a safe and happy holiday weekend!

      Delete
  4. Again, Tom, "Wow".
    Ted, I still remember when you were "Teddy". I was both surprised and impressed when I saw you older, and with the the band. I will always remember your oldest brother Dale, his organ playing and that great grin of his. Really miss him. I didn't recall what Thad played, but he and I would just start talking whenever we bumped into each other--we were about the same age. Which one of the Saxons had the hottest-looking navy blue Corvair Spyder in York? I wish I'd known about your Dad's piano playing back then. I would have liked to check it out. Your family was awesome.
    Mike, you have pretty good and interesting beginnings there in Carlisle. Your home town or color never mattered.
    Larry, the more I learn about you the more I understand you were destined for a life of music. What a wonderful family you came from! I talked to your Mom at City Hall some years ago. She said you had gone to school in Boston and then remained in that city, and was playing in a band. I was glad to hear you continued.
    Rick E., I was glad you made the band. I applauded your choice for audition--my favorite O'Jays song. It's one of the few songs on which Will sang lead. Tom finally included it in his blog.
    I have to agree with you all that you didn't sound like the other bands--the Delchords, the Mag Men, no one else. Every band had their own unique sound and personality--unlike much of the music industry. Every band had their own rendition of a song.
    I'm fascinated by the history of you guys, and just how you evolved. This puts the Temptations bio to shame!
    See you all for Part 4.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great comments, Ron! You were there and still care and it shows. You touched on a couple of related topics that will be covered in the series very soon, including more about Ted Saxon and his brothers and a very interesting anecdote involving Larry's mother. Trust me, Ron. Monday's post and the ones that follow are loaded with goodies - tailor made for native York Countians like you! Thank you very much for adding so much valuable input here in the comments section. Have a great weekend and see you back here on Monday, my friend!

      Delete
  5. What great interviews, Shady! I love reading how people get into music. What Rick Dillman said about music was how I felt when I was a teen. It was the world to me - my world that no one could touch. I was so impressed with Sam and Dave! I've never heard or seen them before. Just fantastic. Interesting reading about Gene Krupa. Sly and the Family Stone were just great. Thanks for all the great music. I think the Concords had the best harmony and loved the song also. Hugs and blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Belle! I'm glad today's post resonated. Can you imagine 11 year old Larry drumming with a famous jazz band? That impresses the hell out of me. Larry was scared to death but he went ahead and did it, a metaphor from which we can all learn. I always regretted not being able to sing well or play an instrument. I got a drum pad around the same time that Larry did and got a full drum set around 1960. I played for a number of years but never got into that sweet zone. I envy guys like these who excelled at their craft. Thank you very much for visiting, dear Belle, and have a nice evening in Kelowna, B.C.!

      Delete
  6. Larry's story and the Gene Krupka "Sing Sing Sing" clip is fantastic! I play the french horn and used to switch to the trumpet during marching band. Those horns and drums sent my energy level and happiness up to the roof. It made me want to buy an old coronet or trumpet just to play for fun. What an incredible way to grow up in that professional music scene. Music like that thrills the soul, and to be surrounded in it in a live experience must have made a life long impact. I truly enjoyed this post today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jenny! I'm sure the Soul Clinic guys will appreciate your comment, particularly Larry and the horn section. Young people today NEED to watch videos like these by Krupa and Kenton. Kids who are exposed to nothing but rap, hip-hop and nursery rhyme pop are missing a world of great music. I had tears in my eyes as I experienced the awesome power of those two vintage orchestral performances. Please stay with us. Horns play a prominent role in the Soul Clinic saga and I know you're going to enjoy hearing them. Thank you very much for your visit and comments, dear Jenny, and have a terrific weekend!

      Delete
  7. Wow DELL RAT RON...you're bringing back a lot of memories! Can you send a H.S. photo or 60s era photo? Thanks for all your kind words AND remembering Annie & her Rolling Rock's! I'll look for you on FB.

    Later my friend...Larry Smith

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Tom. Like Odie, I am really getting into the story of the boys (!) of The Soul Clinic. It's really interesting and you certainly make an excellent Interviewer my friend, asking some really insightful questions ! How nice that you have now become friends following your interviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just now finding your comment, dear Thisisme. Thank you very much, my dear friend!

      Delete
  9. Good evening Shady, finally made it to this post. There have been a few days that your posts aren't coming up on my reading list. So, I may be skipping around some. This was very good, revealing the influences on these talented guys. Even their childhood backgrounds are amazing! I especially noted Dillman's remarks about living the music and being so emotionally and physically in tune with it. I could always imagine being up on stage, with your audience loving what you do. Really, some people don't realize what goes into a good, tight union of band members-it's the love of the music as a team/family. I always enjoyed a live, local band at teen clubs, and watched how they played their instruments, and, their facial expressions (that tells all). And, if they could dance! The Soul Clinic had routines, I wish I could have seen them too! I love the Gene Krupa story-what a life! And, you're the best interviewer...leaving no stone unturned. I will make it to all of your posts as I can. And, 'The Tighten Up' rocked!!! See you soon Shady♫

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just now finding your comments, dear Susan. They are greatly appreciated and I'll make sure the boys in the band see them! Thanks again!

      Delete

You talkin' to me?