CLOSE YOUR EYES. TAKE A DEEP BREATH. OPEN YOUR HEART.

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR
High School Yearbook Photo

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight
HELLO STRANGER ... IT SEEMS LIKE A MIGHTY LONG TIME!

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Clinically Proven: The Epic Odyssey of a Band Called The Soul Clinic, Part 2



 THEY HAILED FROM

  A HUB OF R&B,  


 SOUL MECCA YORK. 


 THEY HEEDED THE SAME CALL 

 AS THEIR SOUL MATES, 

 THE MAGNIFICENT MEN. 





 THEY WERE SCHOOLED IN THE 

 INSTRUMENTAL GROOVES OF BOOKER T. 






 THEY WERE THE EIGHT... 


 THEY WERE THE GREAT... 


THEY WERE 





It's time to check back in and
check out The Soul Clinic, the R&B band from York, PA. Today I proudly present Part 2 of my exclusive 9-part interview with the men of The Clinic. Before we go any further I'm going to ask the guys to fess up and answer that burning question.


 Dell Rat Ron wants to know. 

 Dell Rat Jerre wants to know. 

 Dell Rat Greg wants to know. 

 Dell Rat Shady wants to know. 

 Inquiring minds everywhere want to know. 

  Did any of you go to the Shady Dell? 


 LARRY SMITH: 

 I was a "regular" at the Dell going 
 back to 1964. I was a member of 
 The Del-Chords and played on the 
 single, "Everybody's Gotta Lose 
 Someday" and "Your Mommy Lied 
 To Your Daddy". I did lots of gigs 
 at White Oaks with the Del-Chords 
 and would usually head right to the 
 Dell afterward. In the Soul Clinic 
 days, Clark and I would go there 
 often. I think Rick T and Mike went sometimes too. 

S.D. KNIGHT: I now welcome to our discussion Soul Clinic guitar player Mike Eads. Mike, tell it like it was. Were you
or were you not a Dell rat?

 MIKE EADS:  

 I was only at The Dell 
 twice, to my recol- 
 lection, and the first 
 time was when I was 
 in The Concords. As I 
 recall I went with Skip 
 Nevin, Steve Spangler 
 and I think Terlazzo. 
 Probably, since he 
 was running me around 
 in that old  red Comet 
 station wagon. He'd 
 pick me up in Carlisle on Friday and take me home Sunday 
 night. Either him or Skip and Steve in Steve's Corvair con- 
 vertible. I was only 15 and didn't have my license yet.  My 
 second time at The Dell I specifically remember Larry Smith 
 with me because I kept bumming Marlboro cigarettes from 
 him. I was probably with Clark Miller and Terlazzo too, 
 since us four hung out together the most. 



 RICK TERLAZZO: 

 As you might recall, Mike, 
 when I used to haul you 
 around in my  red 1964 
 Mercury Comet wagon 
 it often had a sign on it.  
 I kept that sign all these 
 years and here it is! 


 We had it printed up in the early days of The Concords. 
 I attached it to the side of the car when we went to gigs. 

S.D. KNIGHT: Rick T, while you have the floor I'd like to ask you a couple of questions. How did you first get interested in playing keyboards and how did you become leader of a band called The Concords?

 RICK TERLAZZO: When I was twelve years old I went to 
 my first boy, girl party. You know, the boys on one side of 
 the room and the girls on the other side of the room. There 
 was this guy at the party named Charlie Winkler.  He was 
 a few years older than us and played guitar in a country & 
 western band. He was a picker and really good. He sat 
 down at a piano and started playing "TWIST AND SHOUT". 
 I looked over his shoulder and I knew the chords and bass 
 line he was playing. Well, that was all it took. The next day 
 I sat down at our piano and played "TWIST AND SHOUT" 
 right away, and before long I was playing "Louie Louie," 
 "Money," "Green Onions" and many other tunes. 

 "Green Onions" - Booker T & the M.G.'s (October 1962, 
 highest chart position #3) 



 RICK TERLAZZO: We lived in Stony Brook in East York. 
 There were other kids in our neighborhood that played 
 acoustic guitars and one played drums. I got them together 
 in my parents' living room to jam.  One of the guitarists 
 played the low stings like a bass guitar. Out of those kids 
 the only one who went on with me to start the group was 
 the one who played bass, Don Hoke. 

S.D. KNIGHT: The earliest version of your band was not called The Concords. What was its name and why did you choose it?

 RICK TERLAZZO: After looking in a Dictionary of Music 
 Terms, (I didn't want the word chord in the name of my 
 group because of other groups in Central PA), I found 
 the word "inversion". Inversions are the same chord 
 played in different positions on any chord instrument. 
 Neat, has to do with chords without using the word 
 chord for the group name. So I called our group 
 "The Inversions". However I started having trouble 
 with parents who thought the name Inversions sounded 
 perverted. They associated it with "PERVERSIONS." 

S.D. KNIGHT: Are your serious? Gee, if those parents had a problem with a name like The Inversions, I wonder what they thought when Twisted Sister came along! Okay, Rick, who else did you bring into the band?

 RICK TERLAZZO: From there I added three vocalists, 
 another guitarist (Mike Eads), a drummer, (Tom Dillman) 
 and later a sax player, (Steve Spangler), and then a really 
 young trumpet player, (Rick Dillman). The process took 
 a year or two until the band became "The Concords." 
 We got booked and played all over Central Pennsylvania. 

S.D. KNIGHT: How did you come up with The Concords as the new name for the band?


 RICK TERLAZZO: I changed the name to "The Concords" 
 when we played at "The Concord Ballroom" in Philadelphia. 
 I liked that name so I changed the name of the group to 
 "The Concords" (no "H"). It also got parents off my back. 

S.D. KNIGHT: Oh, I dunno, Rick... I don't feel comfortable
with that name either. Concord reminds me of grapes.
Grapes make wine. Teenagers drink wine and before long... HANKY PANKY! See what I'm sayin'? :-)

 RICK TERLAZZO: By the fall of 1965 I had a 9 piece group 
 and we continued to play across Central PA until the fall 
 of 1966 when I left my group to join "The Epics" with my 
 York Catholic High buddy, Larry Smith. Other members 
 of the Concords soon made the switch to The Epics and 
 shortly thereafter The Soul Clinic was formed. 

S.D. KNIGHT: Rick T, with your help we've been able to determine that you made your exodus from The Concords and joined Larry's Epics around October of '66.


S.D. KNIGHT: Shortly after you joined, the band's name was changed to The Epics Soul Clinic and you helped Larry recruit other musical talent from The Concords.


S.D. KNIGHT: Which of your former Concords band mates was the first to follow you over to Larry's ESC group?

 RICK TERLAZZO: First came Clark Miller on valve trombone 
 and vocals.  Next in was Mike Eads on guitar.  Mike lived 
 in Carlisle.  A year later Rick Dillman joined on trumpet. 
 So the remaining members of The Epics and the musicians 
 drawn from The Concords resulted in the new band called 
 The Soul Clinic. 

S.D. KNIGHT: Thank you very much, Rick T. All right, guys,
you probably think I forgot my original question but I didn't. Let's shine the interrogation spotlight directly into the eyes of the other Rick, Rick Dillman, who is suddenly sliding down in his chair. You can't hide, Little D. Tell the truth, my friend. Is you... or is you ain't a Dell rat?

 RICK DILLMAN: 

 I never went to the Dell. 
 By the time I was of age 
 I was gone every weekend 
 and several weeknights 
 with the bands. From the 
 age of 12 to 19 I traveled 
 with the Conchords, the 
 Clinic, and later with my 
 band Trained Labor. If it 
 softens the blow at all I 
 can tell you that I was a 
 Purcells and Baracuta 
 wearer. I got my jackets 
 second hand from my brother. I liked the long ones but he 
 mostly got the short ones. Penny Loafers and Desert Boots 
 were de rigueur. 

S.D. KNIGHT: You just described the essentials of every Dell rat's wardrobe, Rick. Too bad you didn't get a chance to join the Rat Patrol.


We all know that the Dell was a juke joint and didn't offer live entertainment, at least not when I attended. For the record let's find out exactly where the Soul Clinic played and where they didn't. The very first venue that comes to my mind is White Oaks Park. "The Oaks" was still hosting dances with live bands when the Soul Clinic formed, recorded and toured. Did the Soul Clinic ever play at the Oaks?


 LARRY SMITH: I do not recall The Soul Clinic ever playing 
 at the Oaks. 

S.D. KNIGHT: Did the Clinic ever perform at the Raven, the soul club in Harrisburg?

 MIKE EADS: I remember the Clinic playing the Raven and 
 opening for the O'Jays. 

 "Stand In for Love" - The O'Jay's (October 1966, 
 highest chart position #95 Hot 100/#12 R&B



 LARRY SMITH: We played the Raven along with the O'Jays 
 on Saturday, March 11, 1967. A couple of months later, on 
 May 13th, we again opened for and backed up the O'Jays, 
 this time at the Sunny Club in Camp Hill. 

 "Friday Night" - The O'Jays (October 1966, 
 uncharted B side of "Stand In for Love") 




 RICK DILLMAN: I wasn't in the Soul Clinic lineup at the 
 time. I didn't join the band until November. My brother 
 Tom called Steve Kranich, the band's personal manager, 
 to see if I could join. He took me to a practice for an 
 audition and the current trumpet player, Ed Furst, was 
 still there..very embarassing. 


---------------------   Ed Furst 

 RICK DILLMAN: I spent several weeks going to Soul Clinic 
 shows hiding in the crowd, taking notes on Ed's fingerings 
 to specific songs in a note pad so that when I joined I'd 
 be able to do it seamlessly. 

 LARRY SMITH: Ed Furst was an important part of 
 The Soul Clinic's evolution. Ed was in the original Epics 
 from 1962 through the Epics Soul Clinic period and 
 then The Soul Clinic through October 1967. He was 
 very "straight-laced" compared to the rest of us. At 
 times it was a bit uncomfortable but we all kept our 
 sense of humor. Ed always did his job and was 
 dependable. It was very similar with Barry Shultz. 
 They were BOTH gentleman and very sweet guys! 

S.D. KNIGHT: At this time I would like to welcome Ed Furst to the proceedings. Ed, thanks for being here with us!

 ED FURST: My pleasure. 

S.D. KNIGHT: I'd like to ask you the same question that
I asked Barry Shultz and Rick Terlazzo. How did you get started playing music in a band?



 ED FURST: I started 
 playing trumpet at age 
 13 along with singer 
 Ed Myers and key- 
 board player Steve 
 Luckenbaugh. Later, 
 Barry Shultz and Dick 
 Gayman approached 
 us about starting a 
 band to play "record 
 hops", dance clubs 
 and bars. 



S.D. KNIGHT: Who was Dick Gayman and what was his relationship to the band?

 LARRY SMITH: Dick Gayman, or "Butch" as we called him, 
 was personal manager and booked gigs for the Epics. 
 In those days, a manager generally did at least a few of 
 the following things: 

 * Provide a place to rehearse 
 * Provide beer 
 * Provide transportation for members. Haul equipment 
    via trailer, truck, station wagon, etc. 
 * Book gigs/ make business contacts. 

 Butch also put a professional sign on his station wagon 
 to help promote the band. 

 When Rick Terlazzo joined the band he took over as 
 personal manager. Soon after, he invited Steve Kranich 
 into the fold to serve in that capacity. 

S.D. KNIGHT: Thanks, Larry! Getting back to you, Ed, what did you enjoy most about playing with the band as it evolved from The Epics to The Soul Clinic?



 ED FURST: I enjoyed 
 keeping up with the 
 current music scene, 
 using my talents on 
 trumpet and vocals 
 to entertain the 
 audiences, my friends 
 and my band mates. 
 And the camaraderie 
 we all had was 
 OVERWHELMINGLY 
 enjoyable! 



S.D. KNIGHT: Do you have a favorite story from your years with the band?

 ED FURST: I remember driving Tony Scott's station wagon 
 from Philly with everyone sleeping. Snoring and noxious 
 body odors were soon filling the vehicle. I had to roll down 
 the windows in 0 degree weather to purge the air and wake 
 up the occupants. 

S.D. KNIGHT:  That reminds me of the time I was working with a concert promoter at a Jay and The Americans show. Afterward I had to drive "The Americans," Jay Black's band, back to their hotel. Only it wasn't body odors that filled my van. Turns out I was haulin' Jack Daniels & the Doobie Bros. It got pretty wild. The whole trip I was praying we wouldn't get pulled over.

 RICK TERLAZZO: I remember that my first gig with the 
 Epics it was cold out. Barry Shultz and someone else, 
 probably Dick Gayman, were in the car. I was not 
 driving, but we were drinking out of quart bottles of 
 beer. Why do I remember so well?  Because that was 
 the only time I drank to play. It slowed my playing and 
 reflexes down.  I did not enjoy it and that was the last 
 time ever that I drank to play. 

S.D. KNIGHT:  Rick T, a few minutes ago Rick D and Larry both mentioned Steve Kranich, the personal manager of the Soul Clinic. Can you tell us how Steve entered the picture?

 RICK TERLAZZO: I met Steve Kranich at Wisehaven Swim 
 Club on E. Prospect Road in York where we both hung out. 
 We became friends.  Steve was one of many Suburban H.S. 
 fans of The Concords and the new band The Soul Clinic. 
 Larry and were co-leaders handling the business end of 
 the band. I suggested that we engage Steve as a manager. 
 I didn't want to be leader again as I was in The Concords 
 so Larry was elected leader of The Soul Clinic once Steve 
 became our personal/road manager. 

S.D. KNIGHT: With that I'd like to welcome Steve Kranich to our happy reunion. Steve, what duties did you perform as personal manager of this dynamic R&B band, The Soul Clinic?

 STEVE KRANICH: 

 My years of involvement with 
 The Soul Clinic were incredible 
 ones filled with many memories. 
 I was 16 years old when I 
 began managing the band. 
 I was supposed to be the adult 
 in the room at age 16. Some of 
 the responsibilities I remember 
 having included: getting the 
 band to practice regularly and 
 productively; getting to gigs 
 safely and on time (usually in 
 my Gold GTO pulling a U-Haul); getting certain members to 
 remember to return to the stage after intermission at gigs; 
 keeping the peace among a diverse group of artistic, free- 
 spirited musicians who were also my friends (whether they 
 were disputing music or which outfits to purchase at Krass 
 Brothers in Philadelphia, clothier to the stars ); 



 STEVE KRANICH: My responsibilities also included keeping 
 the hippies and brothers safe when on the road in redneck 
 communities; making sure everyone got paid after playing 
 (that was never a hassle); and on and on and on! What a 
 great couple of years which no doubt helped to form who 
 I am 40 plus years later. Peace to all of you! 



S.D. KNIGHT: Thank you very much for joining us, Steve! Moving on, our good buddy Dell Rat Ron Shearer sent in a question for you guys. Ron says he thinks he remembers 
The Soul Clinic as the house band at Altland's Soul Ranch. 
True or false?


   The Clinic Playing at Altland's Soul Ranch 

 LARRY SMITH: We were considered the house band in the 
 beginning and played Altland's Soul Ranch 10 times from 
 June of 1967 through May of '68. The owners were good 
 friends of ours as they also owned the DISC-O-RAMA in 
 downtown York (on N. George St.) where we bought all 
 our records! 


 On July 10th, 1967 The Soul Clinic played at the Soul Ranch 
 along with The Fantastic Four. 

 "You Gave Me Something (And Everything's Alright)" 
 - The Fantastic Four (June 1967, highest chart position 
 #55 Hot 100/#12 R&B



 RICK DILLMAN: Another venue worth remembering is the 
 York YMCA and a weekly function there called The Gig.  
 It was a teen dance run by the Y to give kids somewhere 
 to go. I played there with the Conchords and later with the 
 Soul Clinic. After joined The Clinic it was kind of winding 
 down. We got too expensive to play there and other clubs 
 opened around the area. 


 I believe this November 11th, 1967 Gig gig took place 
 just before I joined The Soul Clinic. I have a memory of 
 being there and seeing them on stage and thinking damn, 
 this band is a powerhouse compared to The Conchords. 
 If we were the Beatles, then they were The Stones. 
 Raw power and animal lust..lol 


 Which member of the Soul Clinic 

 played with a famed jazz band? 

 Which one was wowed by Elvis? 





 Get to know the guys 

 up close and personal 

 Friday in Part 3 of 

 Clinically Proven! 

Have a Shady day!

36 comments:

  1. Another great installment, Shady, and one that has cleared up the answers to a fwq questions I had, including where the name Concords came from.

    That is a neat thing that so many of them had been to the Dell. That brings up another question to me. I know the Dell was jukebox driven, but how often did they have a live act there?

    With a practice and performing schedule like they had, and being such young kids, the Soul Clinic guys really showed level heads and a lot of maturity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Shelly! I should have provided a FAQ link because The Soul Clinic saga includes a large cast of characters, a long list of venues and lots of other trivia. To answer your question I never saw a live band play at the Dell during the mid 60s to early 70s. From what I've learned there was live entertainment offered in the 1940s and 50s when the Dell was primarily an eatery, but I'm talking about a piano player or a small jazz combo, not a rock 'n' roll band. The Soul Clinic had a grueling schedule of performances and promotional appearances up and down the East Coast and plenty of funny stories tied to those gigs. Stay tuned! Thanks so much for being the early bird again today, Shelly, and have a super day in Texas!

      Delete
  2. As Shelly said this was great and I really enjoyed reading about their early days and their involvement with the Dell. I read and wish I could have been there to experience it right along with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Odie! It's entirely possible and even seems probable that some of the Clinicians were hanging out at the Dell on the same nights that I was there. We just didn't know each other at the time and never would have dreamed that we'd be reunited decades later on a blog. "What's a blog," we would have asked back then. "It's short for web log," a voice from the future would have informed us. "Oh..... WEB LOG??? I don't get it!" Thanks again for coming by, Odie, and make it a great day up your way!

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed this post so much, Shady! Reading through the collection of memories everyone shared and listening to the music really made me feel like I was transported to the 1960s. I laughed often as I read this post but especially at the fact that parents back then had a problem with the band name "The Inversions." I remember listening to the Top 40 countdown one Sunday with my dad when I was around 14 and Casey Kasem (sp?) introduced the band "Climax" and my dad said "What is it with band names these days? Climax? The Hooters? Can't they come up with more appropriate names?" Ha Ha... Looking back, I think he may have had a point. Those names are certainly much more provocative than The Inversions. I love reading about the Dell. I wish I could have experienced it in person but reading about it almost makes me feel like I did. Thank You for sharing such fun memories! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost forgot to mention... At least we can meet up at Belles since we can't meet at the Dell. I just love those dinosaurs! I'll keep encouraging her to bring back Bikini Dino on your behalf (LOL). Sometimes your comments get me laughing as much as those crazy dinosaurs do! :)

      Delete
    2. Hi, Jenn June! I wish you could have been with us at the Dell in the 60s. Knowing what I do about you I'm sure you would have made a groovy Dellette. Yes, I remember Climax Blues Band. Wonder what your dad thought of the Sex Pistols? My mom had a fit because Dick & DeeDee quoted the bible in "Thou Shalt Not Steal." We've come a long way, baby! Thank you very much for coming over to visit today, JJ. It means a lot to me. I hope you and your little guy have a marvelous day, dear friend!

      Delete
    3. JJ - I'm glad my dinosaur jokes keep you laughing and I love meeting up with you at Belle's place and the blogs of our other friends. You're the best!

      Delete
  4. I remember going to Altlands several times, but don't remember which bands were playing. Went to the Raven also but missed late 67 to early 69 time frame to party in Vietnam. So I missed the Clinic time frame at the Raven. Only one time while attending the Dell in early 60s do I remember a live band and I think it might have been the Delchords. I'm sure Bupp could answer that question. However my memory is not that good and it might have been some other unknown local band. I do know that was the only time I saw a live band at the Dell. Jerre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jerre! I remember you and I discussing this question of live bands at the Dell a few years ago. Everybody's memory is getting foggy by now and that's why I'm so excited about getting all these facts, figures and anecdotes on the record while there's still time. Thanks for checking back in and checking out The Soul Clinic, good buddy, and I'll see you on Friday!

      Delete
  5. Dell Rat Ron ShearerMay 23, 2012 at 10:47 AM

    First of all, Tom, great song picks! Tops were the live ones with Booker T. & the MGs. "Booker-Loo" live was more exciting than the record--like the Soul Clinic's covers of their songs. A whole new dimension and feel were added. It was good to see "Duck" Dunn, bass player of the MGs, who died a little over a week ago.
    Knowing some of the guys in the Clinic socially was fun. Reading about their experiences as a band is another thing. I envy them their experiences and I enjoy hearing their stories. As a "hanger-on" I absorbed some of the energy, and probably lived vicariously through them and other musicians.
    I saw the Clinic with the O'Jays, as well as several times at Soul Ranch. I still remember the disappointment of having missed them with Patti LaBelle & The Bluebelles and the Fantastic Four, however. At the Raven, Patti was pleasant to talk with, as well as Eddie Levert of the O'Jays. However, I've heard more accounts of Patti's diva attitude and, despite the talent, the personality does matter.
    I'm enjoying hearing the guys' comments and stories---reminiscing, but learning a lot more.
    Thanks to you and all involved for the interview, Tom! It's a pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ron! It's a great pleasure to present this series, especially knowing how much guys like you will get out of it. You were were right there in the thick of things during that era and you can best relate to this material. I agree that those live Booker T performances in living color were awesome and that's why I picked them over the studio recordings. Thank you very much for your commentary, Ron. There's a lot of great stuff yet to come, good buddy, so I'll be seeing you on Friday!

      Delete
  6. "What a Wonderful Gift You have presented All of Us with...a glimpsing into the inner workings & passions of all of Your musical adventures! Thank You so very much!"
    L.A.A.F.
    Pat (Burger) Timmermans...class of Y.C.H.S. 1967.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Pat! Welcome to Shady Dell Music & Memories! I'm so glad you're having fun reading about your fellow York Catholic classmates Larry Smith and Rick T. We're just getting started. I know you'll enjoy following the band's highs and lows as their story unfolds in Parts 3 through 9. I'm very happy to have you here today, Pat, and I hope you'll stop by again soon. Have a wonderful day, my friend!

      Delete
  7. Hi dear Tom. Well, this was a great post, and I can see now just how much work you have put into all this! I enjoyed the song choices as well. These places in the 60's didn't have live music, did they? Just the good old jukebox, and I wouldn't have it any other way! Looking forward to the next instalment. Good to see all the old photos as well. Smooches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Thisisme! Your visit and your kind words mean a great deal to me, dear friend! I hope you are in good spirits and that you enjoyed another fine day in your English garden. In this 9-part series you will be hearing some of the great "horn band" sounds of the 60s. In most cases I have selected the best live performance clips YouTube has to offer because these bands cannot be fully appreciated until you see them on stage. Once again I thank you for spending some time with me today, dear Thisisme. Please take good care of yourself and I hope to see you again soon!

      Delete
  8. I had to laugh at the part where the guys drove around in a red Comet station wagon. That's what I drove as a teenager - my mom's car. I could fit a lot of friends in there, but it was embarrassing for a teenager to drive.

    It is wonderful reading about how Soul Clinic was formed. It is a gift when you can just watch someone play a song on the piano, go home and play it yourself. To think that Rick played with different bands from age 12! I certainly enjoyed hearing these groups, especially the Fantastic Four. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Belle! I envy the musical ability of all the Soul Clinic members. I never even learned how to play "Chopsticks," much less "Louie Louie," "Green Onions" and the other tunes that Rick Terlazzo picked up so easily. As I noted before I played drums through my teen years but nowadays wouldn't know my flam from a paradiddle. You can't go wrong with the Fantastic Four. "You Gave Me Something" was a big jukebox hit at the Dell. Thank you very much for your visit and kind comments, dear Belle, and have a nice evening in West Canada!

      Delete
  9. How great that you were able to get all of these guys together to interview! It was fun to hear about the early days of the band, and how it all came to be. It was a different world back then, but guys still dream of being in a band. Looking forward to #3!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. karen - This interview brought together people who hadn't been in touch for years or even decades. Old friendships were renewed and new ones formed. I didn't know any of these guys back in the day but now I know them and call them friends. I agree with you. One thing hasn't changed. Young people still dream of performing in a band or becoming a star soloist, hence American Idol, etc. Thank you very much for swinging by, dear friend karen, and have a great Thursday on the West Coast!

      Delete
  10. I cant believe parents were offended by the name "The Inversions". Man, parents were uptight back then. I bet those parents would have had heart attacks if they had chosen the name The Sex Pistols
    I really liked reading about their favorite stories. That car must have smelled really bad if he rolled his window down with frigid temps outside. And you with the doobie bros...I can picture it now ;)
    Hope you have a great day Mr. Shady. Friday is almost here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Amber Blue Bird! You're right, it didn't take much to shake people up back in those days. My mom was convinced that the Beatles were Satan's soldiers, with their long hair and that gawd awful music they played. Geez! My father-in-law's favorite comment was "You can't even tell if they're boys or girls." (Twisted Sister was still light years away.) I'm so glad you're checking into The Clinic, dearie. Have a fabulous day up there in Connecticut!

      Delete
  11. I'm really enjoying the stories behind the scenes of the S.C. band. It's interesting to see how the bands regroup, join, drop out, and mix it up from other bands to make the ultimate "Soul Clinic". I really enjoy hearing about my old familiar stomping grounds, York Catholic (dances), Wisehaven, and Altland's Ranch. I missed all the good 60's stuff, nevertheless, enjoyed my "coming of age" times in the 70's. I used to drive a '64 thunderbird, does that count for anything??? How talented and determined these young locals were. I'm anxious to see how their futures unfold in the next 7 parts of this series. Shady, you put together a wonderful story with all this great info given to you from several different resources and band members. Gotta give props to you !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Toni! Your words are greatly appreciated, kind friend. It's a shame you missed coming of age in the 60s because those of us who were there and still care believe it was the greatest decade to be a teenager. I'm pretty sure every generation feels the same way about the years of their youth.

      You wrote:

      << I used to drive a '64 thunderbird, does that count for anything??? >>

      Yessum! It definitely qualifies you for the bonus round. ("Mustang Sally" was the #1 answer.)

      Thank you very much for your visit and compliments, dear friend Toni, and take good care of the Dell for us, okay?

      Delete
  12. Toni...thanks for your interest in THE CLINIC!Did you attend York Catholic HS?? Be sure to come back for parts 3 - 9. There's lot's more to come...

    Larry Smith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to St. Joes 1st-6th grade, then York Suburban. But knew many Y.C. people and went to many Y.C. dances. I'm anxiously awaiting the rest of the chapters, Larry!

      Delete
  13. Tom..the "Add comment" link worked with an Anonymous profile. Now I'll try it with my AIM profile.

    Larry Smith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Larry - Tom's busy at the moment addressing the United Nations. May I help you? (LOL)

      Delete
  14. Hello Toni. Good to see you checkin us out..lol
    Larry and I went to the Dell the day after your open house. We forgot the date, but it was nice walking the proerty without others to quietly remember.

    ReplyDelete
  15. BTW, the band picture at the begining of part 1 was signed by David Ruffin while sitting in his fur ligned,black Rolls limo the day after playing Lehigh university, It was also the day that Otis Redding died in a plane crash. David signed it " To Little D (that was my knickname)(lol), Best of Life, David Ruffin, The Tempts".

    ReplyDelete
  16. You missed a good time! Your S.C. series is a good time, too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You keep saying that there's no screen play in the works, but really it would be an American cultural treasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jenny! You keep reminding me that a screen play could come from all this. That is very kind of you, my dear friend, but consider the enormous scope. The Dell has undergone metamorphosis under the ownership of the Deroches. Before that it lasted nearly 50 years as a hangout for teenagers. Before that it was reportedly a fancy after hours club of some sort. Before that, Phil Spangler's family lived there and raised pigeon squab for sale to local restaurants. Before that Margaret's family, the Browns, lived there and raised hunting dogs and rabbits. This blog has also covered many other sidebar stories including bios and reviews of local and regional bands such as The Soul Clinic. I could write a dozen screen plays and only be scratching the surface. I know, I know... better get started. (LOL) Thank you very much for your kindness, Jenny, and stay tuned for the rest of the Soul Clinic saga!

      Delete
  18. Okay, so pigeon squab might not be screen play worthy, but one year, one month, one night at the Dell during the time you were there would be. I'm not finished with this friendly debate!

    ReplyDelete

You talkin' to me?