CLOSE YOUR EYES. TAKE A DEEP BREATH. OPEN YOUR HEART.

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR
High School Yearbook Photo

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight
HELLO STRANGER ... IT SEEMS LIKE A MIGHTY LONG TIME!

Monday, February 20, 2012

Dueling Doo-Wops, Vol. 4

---
 Original Dell Rat Ron Shearer 

 is back and he and I are all set 

 to doo-wop around the clock! 

 It's Volume 4 of our series in which we 

 present some of the greatest forgotten 

 classics of the 50s and early 60s. 


 Ron, you're our 

 lead off hitter.

 Let's click the 

 turnstiles in our 

 wax files! 


 THE FIVE SATINS 

 Shady, I'd like to begin 
 with The Five Satins, 
 the group best known 
 for their smash hit "In 
 the Still of the Nite," 
 a doo-wop classic 
 that charted three 
 different times in 
 three different years: 
 1956, 1960 and 1961. 
 Here's another song by 
 The Five Satins that 
 was played frequently 
 by Tom Howard  
 (Rockin' Robin) and 
 recommended highly to 
 me by many lovely friends. It's called "Shadows". It was 
 released more than 3 years after "In The Still of the Nite" 
 but I like it at least as well.  This Five Satins song still 
 haunts me after all these years, more so than any of their 
 other recordings. 

 "Shadows" - The Five Satins (November 1959, highest 
 chart position #27 R&B) 



 I remember, after not hearing about the Five Satins 
 for awhile---I only knew "In The Still Of the Nite" and 
 "To The Aisle", even though they made many more 
 recordings, Dick Clark introduced them for what I 
 believe was the last time. They had recorded a new 
 version of what I didn't know was an old song for 
 Philadelphia's Chancellor Records, and it had my 
 favorite danceable beat. Still one of my favorite 
 Five Satins songs. 

 "The Masquerade Is Over" - The Five Satins 
(August 1962, highest chart position #102) 





 We're off to a fine 
 start, Ron.  If you 
 don't mind I'd like 
 to join the fun by 
 spinning a few of 
 my own old school 
 favorites.


 THE MOONGLOWS 

 Let's rewind all the way back to the mid 50s and listen to some mellow R&B doo-wop. Singer, songwriter, producer and record label exec Harvey Fuqua lent his voice and talents to some of the greatest recordings of the Eisenhower years and way beyond. His vocal group Harvey & the Moonglows gave Marvin Gaye his start. Fuqua also helped launch Motown Records. Recording for Chess Records in 1954 the original Moonglows lineup had a big crossover hit with "Sincerely." The following year the Moonglows released another fine ballad and here it is, "In My Diary."

 "In My Diary" - The Moonglows (1955, uncharted)





 THE JAGUARS 


The Jaguars, a West Coast doo-wop group, are best remembered for their 1956 rendition of the standard "The Way You Look Tonight." By 1959 the Jaguars were led by Tony Allen, the New Orleans native who had a solo hit in 1955 with "Nite Owl," a song he wrote about the actual nickname his French Creole mother had given him because
he had a habit of staying out late. I swooned the first time
I heard the Jaguars' 1959 recording "Thinking of You" which features Tony Allen's otherworldly falsetto. In fact, I swoon every time I hear it. "Thinking of You" reminds me of "Two People in the World" by Little Anthony & the Imperials, the one that I named "Helen's Song." See if you agree!

 "Thinking of You" - The Jaguars (1959, uncharted) 




 THE TIME TONES 

Wow! Listen to these guys from Long Island, an interracial quintet called the Time Tones with the late, great Rodgers LaRue on lead. In the spring of 1961 the Time Tones fell just short of the top 50 with "In My Heart," a record that sounds like a cross between "Bristol Stomp" and "Story Untold."

 "In My Heart" - The Time Tones (May 1961, highest 

 chart position #51) 



Three months later the Time Tones followed with "Pretty Pretty Girl (The New Beat)," an up tempo number that had cool cats and teen queens hittin' the floor like never before!

 "Pretty Pretty Girl (The New Beat)" - The Time Tones 

 (August 1961, highest chart position #106) 



Flip that bad boy and you were back in dream land with the sublime B ballad, "I've Got a Feeling."

" I've Got a Feeling" - The Time Tones (August 1961, 

 uncharted B side of "Pretty Pretty Girl") 



 Ron, you're up next with
 

 two more churchified classics 

 from York's own Quin-Tones! 

 "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; 

 only light can do that. 
 Hate cannot drive out hate; 
 only love can do that.
 - Martin Luther King, Jr. 



 THE QUIN-TONES 

 As Shady often reminds us, chart 

 performance has little or nothing to do 
 with the quality of a recording.  Such 
 was the case with the sides waxed by 
 The Quin-Tones.  They're known by 
 most people as one hit wonders thanks 
 to their nationwide hit "Down the Aisle 
 of Love," but the York based R&B 
 group made consistently excellent 
 records even though they went 
 unnoticed across most of the country. 


 The Quin-Tones last single, a cover of Edna McGriff's 
 "Oh Heavenly Father," was released in 1959.  Like their 
 prevous single, "There'll Be No Sorrow," which was 
 released the year before, "Oh Heavenly Father" missed 
 the charts but touched our hearts. 

 "Oh Heavenly Father" - The Quin-Tones (1959, uncharted) 



 The flip side was yet another dreamy R&B ballad, 

 this one entitled "I Watch the Stars." 

 "I Watch the Stars" - The Quin-Tones (1959, uncharted) 



 I can vouch that the last two Quin-Tones' 45s were rare 

 because in later years they were available in limited 
 quantities and commanding higher than standard prices 
 at York's Disc-O-Rama. "There'll Be No Sorrow" and 
 "Oh Heavenly Father" cost me $4 each at the Disc at a 
 time when $1 was the standard price for a 45. 


 Ron, let me steal the spotlight 


 from you and play a few more 

 nostalgic nuggets of my own!  



 THE PASSIONS 

Add Jimmy Gallagher to the list of great lead singers in doo-wop and his group, the Passions, to the list of great Brooklyn white vocal groups of the late 50s and early 60s.



The Passions only managed to get one of their records into the Hot 100 but it's a keeper. Bringing back happy memories of Thanksgiving 1959, here's "Just to Be With You."

 "Just To Be With You" - The Passions (November 1959, 
 highest chart position #69) 



 THE DANLEERS 

Mention the Danleers and the first thing that comes to mind is "One Summer Night," the Brooklyn doo-wop group's million selling signature song. Featuring the soaring lead vocals of Jimmy Weston, "One Summer night" was the quintessential doo-wop ballad and a major hit. The record went top 10 on the pop side and top 5 R&B in the summer of 1958. I love to dig for treasure and I found it when I flipped the platter. The killer bee is a rock 'n' roll relic called "Wheelin' and A-Dealin." The first pressing of the single on AMP 2115 had the group name misspelled Dandleers. If you have a mint copy of that 45 hidden away in your attic you can tell your boss to take this job and shove it and retire to a tropic isle because that record's worth some $$$!

 "Wheelin' and A-Dealin'" - The Danleers (July 1958, 

 uncharted B side of "One Summer Night") 



Later that year the Danleers released "Picture of You," a sensational up tempo recording that proved once again that the doo-wop balladeers could rock with the best of them.

 "Picture of You" - The Danleers (December 1958, 

 uncharted)





 Our Dueling Doo-Wops 
 sock hop is winding down 
 for the night. It's time 
 for the last dance. 
 Let's cap off Volume 4 
 with a dream maker 
 and a heart breaker! 



 JOHNNIE AND JOE 

Johnnie and Joe are not to be confused with Marvin and Johnny (Marvin Phillips a former recording partner of Jesse Belvin). For starters, Johnnie was female: Johnnie Louise Richardson, daughter of "Zell" Sanders, owner of R&B label J&S Records. Johnnie was also a member of the Jaynettes, the Bronx girl group that had a 1963 hit with "Sally, Go 'Round the Roses." Johnnie, partnered with Joe Rivers, achieved a mammoth crossover hit in 1957 with "Over the Mountain; Across the Sea." Johnnie and Joe made a guest appearance on Milt Grant's Record Hop, a pioneering music and dance program that aired on WTTG in Washington, D.C. from 1956 to 1961. Milt Grant's dance party is credited for introducing rock and roll to the nation's capital and was so popular that it consistently beat Dick Clark's American Bandstand in a head to head ratings battle.

 "Over the Mountain; Across the Sea" - Johnnie and Joe 
 (August 1957, highest chart position #8 pop, #3 R&B, 
 charted again in October 1960, highest chart position #89) 




 Ron, it's been great fun 

 spinning doo-wop gold 


 with you again today. 


 See you soon in Volume 5! 

 Have a Shady day! 

---

31 comments:

  1. I've been looking forward to your next installment of the Doo Wop series, my friend, and now here it is!

    I think my favorites from this time around are Thinking of You and Wheeling and Dealing. I didn't know any of these before and so it was a pleasure to play them the first time and see what treasures came out.

    Thanks to you and Ron for putting together yet another classic lineup for us to listen to and enjoy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelly - Hello, and welcome back to Bloggerville, dear friend! I saw you over at Belle's last night and figured you are back home from your conference. I'm sure you'll be posting about it soon. I timed my posts perfectly, it seems, so that you didn't miss any. I want to thank you again for managing to comment on the previous post even as you were traveling. Yours is industrial strength friendship, Shelly, and I deeply appreciate it.

    As I produce this Dueling Doo-Wops series with Ron I am hearing many of these recordings for the first time. It's a real treat to dig for gold and find it. Thank you again for your early bird visit, dear friend, and have an excellent week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Shady,
    This collection is a gift in more ways than you realize. First because the music pulls at my heart strings. Today's music is not made for romance. It doesn't celebrate or encourage dancing as a couple. I especially appreciated seeing the Over The Mountain video at the end because it puts us right in the dance hall with young people swaying close to one another. I wonder why it's not fashionable to have dance halls like that anymore? I would go every week! Second, you have resurrected a memory of my father. During the late 50's he was a struggling teen who had just lost his mother to cancer. I'm not sure if he was able to go out dancing much, but I know he loved this music. Thank you for helping me to remember in my imagination what my father's youth would have been like. That is not something that anyone has ever done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's see, the phrase that comes to mind is "I guess you had to have been there". I enjoyed the tunes but if they ever crossed the border into NC I missed all of them. Makes me wonder how many other artists surfaced in my teen years that I have no knowledge of. Enjoyed the line up and hope you guys have a super week, stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenny - Good morning, dear friend, and thank you for this lovely comment! I always enjoy the old clips of those dance programs of the 50s and 60s, and the last one in this set, "Over the Mountain," is instructive. As you listen to the song and its lyrics, examine the clothing styles and observe the body language of the teenagers you get a sense of what it was like growing up in that era. One might think by looking at those grainy images that we lived in a black and white world back then. In terms of racial segregation we did; yet dance shows like these in which white kids danced to recordings made by black artists (ala the Shady Dell) taught young people that good music transcends the barriers of race, color and creed. I am very pleased to know that this post resonated with you, dear Jenny, and reminded you of your father.

    Odie - I don't drink Coke or eat salted peanuts, good buddy. You and I come from different regions of the country and different worlds in many respects, but that doesn't stop us from being friends and finding common ground wherever it exists. We have done just that for more than a year and it speaks volumes about you and about me. Thank you for coming by, Odie, and have a great day way way way up there in the chilly mid-South!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there Tom & Ron! Now you're talking - you should know by now that I am a real doo-wop kind of girl!! I hadn't heard of too many of your artists today, but I certainly enjoyed listening to the records very much indeed. I had a good bop around to them all. There wasn't one that I didn't enjoy. Yay!! Really enjoying this series of yours, I must admit. Keep them coming my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thisisme - Hello, my dear Devonish friend! I'm delighted by your visit and glad you found these tunes boppable. (Is that a word?) Yessum, there are many old school relics in this batch and nearly all of them are new to me as well. I discovered them only recently after reviewing my record research books and searching on YouTube. I hope that you are well and in good spirits, dear friend Thisisme, and once again I thank you for stopping by to see me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "boppable" sounds like a good word to me. Shady and Thisisme are very boppable people!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thisisme - LOL, I love to invent words. "Devonish" would be another example, right? Have a wonderful Monday, dear friend, and a Ruby Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Shady, Another great group of doo wop songs. I am now going to dig for my Danleers 45 to see if it is the one worth all the money. Hold your breath.
    Jerre

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jerre - Just think, you might already be a millionaire! You could buy the brand new Shady Dell! (LOL) I used to own that Danleers 45 but I think it was second pressing, not the rare and valuable "Dandleers" one. I'm glad you made it over to my doo-wop till you drop party, good buddy. Stay tuned for #5 coming next month!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Ron...you too, Shady! I loved the Johnnie and Joe video, even tho I don't remember the song. But it does bring back the American Bandstand memories. Like your friend Odie said, some of these tunes may not have made it to Kansas City, but I think they did, and I was too busy with Elvis and Ricky Nelson.

    'In The Still of The Night' is to this day one of my favorites. It's one of those you sing walking around the house, or just strolling in the yard-I don't know why! And, tho I had never heard 'Shadow', I listened and really, really liked. 'Thinking of You' really is a moving song, I see why you liked it so much.

    And, Shady-yes to 'Pretty Pretty Girl'! They sing it as tho they're personally singing it to you! You too guys sure know how to present, and, deliver! Now, if I can figure this code out, I will try to post my comment. What is blogger doing now with the 2 word verification? Have a wonderful week you two!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never heard of any of these doo-wopers! Thanks for educating us (well me anyway) Dell Rat Ron!

    Emma x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I've just found my new obsession, namely The Time Tones. My goodness I cant decide which of their tracks I like best but In My Heart has now been played three times in a row so it may be winning out. thanks for the introduction to another musical gem!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Susan - Hello, dear friend! I had the honor of meeting Fred Parris and his Five Satins group 30 odd years ago when they performed at a niteclub in my town. I'm glad you and some of the others enjoyed The Time Tones because I was totally unfamiliar with them before I started researching this post. I don't know how I missed their greatness the first time around but as you noted we all have our blind spots. I hate Blogger's double word verification just as much as you, dear friend. A while back I tried changing my setting to allow comments to go right through but wound up getting lots of spam. I suppose we're stuck with this current system until they come up with something better. Thanks so much for your visit and comments, dear Susan, and have a great week!

    Hi, Emma! I figured you wouldn't know many of these songs but as I've been telling others I didn't know most of them either until Ron and I did some digging. There was plenty of great doo-wop produced during the 50s and early 60s and much of it came and went unnoticed. Thank you very much for coming over to see me, dear Emma. I hope your foot's feeling much better and that you have a fine week!

    Amber Girly Bird - Hello, dearie! I am pleased as punch to know that you hear what I hear in those Time Tones' tunes. I was shocked when I came across their material. The Time Tones mastered both the ballad and the up temp sound and yet made very little dent in the Billboard chart. The Shady's Law Hall of Fame was built with groups like the Time Tones in mind. You're a delight, Amber. Thank you very much for making time for a visit and have a wonderful week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was a great line-up, Shady. I'm in love with the Masquerade song. Also liked, 'In My Diary' with the cute disc jockey. 'Thinking of You' - great song. I did think 'The Bristol Stomp' was coming on when 'I've Got a Feeling' started. lol And I certainly enjoyed Johnnie and Joe.

    When 'Thinking of You' was playing I tried to remember when I had first heard that song (a song I love). I finally remembered it was on a TV show called, The Roaring Twenties. My sister had the album from the female singer, Dorothy Provine. I'm going to put it on my blog tonight so you can hear it. The Jaguars did it better I'm afraid. :) Lots of hugs and love to you today, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, Belle! Wow, what a memory you have! I had forgotten all about that early 60s TV series The Roaring 20's starring Dorothy Provine. My mother and I watched that show every week. As you might recall Dorothy followed with a memorable performance in the star studded comedy movie It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (1963). It's one of the funniest films ever made and they never played the sex card as so many modern comedies feel the need to do. I am eager to get over to your blog tonight and hear Dorothy's version of "Thinking of You." Thank you for thinking of ME, dear friend Belle, and love and hugs right back at ya!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh dear, oh dear! Guess who is completely out of her depth with this line up? Ron, Shady will need to reassure you that this is no reflection on you. Every class has a dunce. In this one, I am it ;) I can, however recognise that you two had lots of fun putting this together and the majority of your readership have been enthralled and entertained, tapping their toes in time to the music. Amber more than compensates for my paltry response. Go to the top of the class, Amber :) I hope you are well, Tom. I can see you hiding in the wings while Shady gets all the attention. Give Toto a cuddle from me, please.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Desiree - Hello, sweet friend! There's no need to think of yourself as a dunce. As I have reminded everybody else most of these recordings were brand new to my ears until recently when I found them in my research. I'm hoping that you had a good time even if this type of music isn't your favorite style. Your friendship means everything to me, dear Desiree, and I will surely hug Toto if you will agree to hug Heathcliff for me. Thank you very much for visiting, dear friend, and good night to you in South Africa!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved all of these. I wish this kind of music was still popular that way we'd hear it on the radio still.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, Ashton! One of my pet peeves (along with those dang kids running across my lawn) is "oldies" radio outlets with limited play lists. As evidenced by posts like this one there are are thousands of obscure gems from which to choose but instead those retro rock channels make us listen to the same familiar hits over and over again. I can't understand that mentality. They don't give any of us credit for wanting to hear anything "new." Thank you very much for your comment, dear Ashton, and I hope your legs are on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
  22. OH Tom...I am having such a time commenting...this is the third attempt. I tried last night and then just a second before and it keeps giving me an error message to long to repeat. I'm also having trouble with my internet connection timing out. It took forever for me to post to my own blog today!

    Quick condensed version of my comment...
    I love the Doo Wops but not familiar with those today. I enjoy listening to them but unless I put on my ear plugs when I first listen in the wee hours of the AM I'd awaken my date right before he has to get up and well that's just not very civilized now is it?

    I agree that Helen's song is very similar...we girls are softees for the sweet songs.
    Looking forward to the next doo wop installment!
    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sush - Hello, dear friend! You know that I usually write long blog comments and I've been having problems with the screen freezing up by the time I'm finished. Internet and computer problems are frustrating and a number of us are currently dealing with them. It means a great deal to me just to have you visiting and trying to get a message through. It's the friendship that counts, not the length or depth of the comment. Thank you very much for making time for me, dear friend Sush, and Ill be seeing you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi, Tom!

    I had to go back and listen to some of those songs a second time before writing you. "Thinking of You" was one of my early acquisitions from the Disc, having been played frequently on the Rock 180 Club. I also believe the Delchords or Invictas sang it at the Oaks. I had totally forgotten about it. Enjoyed it very much, thank you! The Passions and Johnnie & Joe were on one of my lists to send you, but fortunately, you remembered/discovered them on your own. I only listened to the B-side of "One Summer Night" a few times, even forgot the name of it, but I should have given it a few more listenings. I liked it and the other Danleers' songs you posted. Fortunately, my copy didn't have "Dandleers" on it, or I'd be kicking myself for having gotten rid of it with the rest of my collection. I enjoyed the Time Tones, I hadn't heard of them before. I only knew of three Moonglows songs before. Now I know, and like four. That makes five songs I didn't know. Good work, my friend!

    Shelly, Thisisme, Jerre, Susan, Emma, Belle, Desiree, Ashton, Sush, Tom, and Jenny: As long as you keep enjoying these "moldy oldies", I'll keep sending songs you've either never heard or have forgotten. I enjoy sharing these memories as well as learning new old songs. Kneesandpaws, your reminiscences were very touching. I'm glad Tom shared the old dancing with us. It was really great in those days! Odie, I happen to appreciate salted peanuts, in or out of their shells, and natural peanut butter.

    Wishing us all a great week, around the world!

    Your friend,
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  25. Well, you've finally stumped me - ALL of this was new to me, but what a fun discovery!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi, Ron! Seems like you and I stumped each other this time because I wasn't familiar with those two by the Five Satins. I'm sorry you didn't strike it rich by owning a copy of that Danleers 45 with the "Dandleers" typo on the label. I'll never forget the time I thought I hit pay dirt with a rare record. I insulted my boss and quit my job after discovering that my copy of "Get Dancin'" was credited to "Disco Sex and the Tex-O-Lettes. In spite of that error, to my shock and dismay, the platter was worthless. There's still one more big volume of Dueling Doo-Wops on the way, Ron. Thanks for all your help putting these together and enjoy the rest of your week, good buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Karen - Hello, my good friend out there in O.C.! Forgive me, I almost didn't see your comment as I was busy replying to Ron's. Well, I figured you're way too young for these older oldies but I am so pleased that you came by for a look and a listen nevertheless. It's always nice to learn something new from something old and I'm learning right along with you. Thanks again for your visit and comment, Karen, and have a wonderful night on the Left Coast!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have never heard these music.Loved reading it.
    Following your blog
    Care to follow back?

    ReplyDelete
  29. izdiher - Hello and welcome to Shady Dell Music & Memories! Thank you very much for choosing to follow my blog. I can't imagine how a young woman in Pakistan found me but the important thing is that you did and elected to join. It's very likely that you will be unfamiliar with 99.99% of the music that I present, but this I can promise you. If you sincerely seek blog friendships without borders then you will surely find them here in this international community. Thank you again for visiting and following, izdiher, and please return again and again!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ron and Tom, I have been abit behind on my bloglovin reading but i'm so happy that I left this post till now. Your wonderful Doo-woo selection has just got me thorugh the most boring hour of ebay listings! Thank you, it made all the more bareable. I am now a big Moonglows fan, what a lovely song and I love their name, I always learn so much from your blog Tom.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Kelly-Marie - Hello, dear friend, and thank you for sending some bloglovin my way! I'm delighted that you enjoyed this rendition of "In My Diary" by the Moonglows. The moon has special significance to you. I know that from seeing full and crescent moons so often on your blog. I'm also happy to know that you played these tunes while doing your eBaying. Everything goes better with a little music. Thank you once again for thinking of me, dear Kelly-Marie, and enjoy the rest of your Wednesday and your week!

    ReplyDelete

You talkin' to me?