CLOSE YOUR EYES. TAKE A DEEP BREATH. OPEN YOUR HEART.

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR
High School Yearbook Photo

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." Shady Del Knight

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." Shady Del Knight
HELLO STRANGER ..... IT SEEMS LIKE A MIGHTY LONG TIME!

Friday, December 16, 2011

Counting Down the 200 Greatest Hits of the Shady Dell (#185 to #181)

XXX
 CAN SHADY DEL KNIGHT 

 KEEP YOU ENTERTAINED 

 WHILE HE'S AWAY FROM HIS 

 BLOG FOR THE HOLIDAYS? 


 DOES 

 BUDDY LOVE 

 SWING LIKE 

 NOBODY'S 

 BEESWAX? 



 Once again it's time to put your 
 musical knowledge to the test 
 as we continue our countdown of 
 The 200 Greatest Hits of the Shady Dell! 


You know the drill. I'll give you a line or two of lyrics taken from five of the most popular Dell songs of the mid 1960s. Your job is to Name That Tune.

Put on your thinking cap. Here are the lyric samples for
the next five Dell songs:

 It's been so long 
 Since you've been gone away 
 And baby when you come back 
 You'll be home to stay 

 Well my doctor told me beware 
 I'm taking more than my share 
 Falling in love I can bear 
 Provided that loving affair 
 But he don't know about you 
 And all the things that you do 
 And how it breaks me in two 
 Just to know a man's with you 

 As best I can, I'll always try 
 To reassure & satisfy 
 'Cause I'd be lost 
 if you went away 

 Not this time 
 Not with me 
 You had your fun 
 Now set me free 

 We're out there on the floor, y'all, 
 goin' to a go-go 

Okay, let's find out how well you did.
Here are the Dell songs in today's countdown:


185. "Dry Your Eyes" - Brenda & the 
Tabulations (March '67) 




184. "Can't Get Enough Of It" 
- Spencer Davis Group (April '67) 




183. "Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever" 
- Four Tops (June '66) 




182. "Rumors" - Syndicate Of Sound 
(August '66) 




181. "Sweet Soul Music" - Arthur Conley 
(March '67) 



How many songs did you correctly guess from the lyric clues? Refer to the grading scale below to determine your musical I.Q.

 All 5 right – 
 Congratulations! 
 You’ve been 
 appointed dean 
 of the College of 
 Musical Knowledge 

 3 or 4 right –
 Licensed lyric lover

 2 right -
 Lyrically challenged

 1 right –
 Sign up for 
 remedial classes at 
 the School of Rock

 0 right –

 You just dance and hum along!

Do you have a top tunes list of your own that you would like to share? I'd love to see it! It doesn't have to contain 200 songs; even a Top 10 would be interesting and instructive. Submit your song list in the form of a comment and I'll get it posted.


Have a Shady day!

11 comments:

  1. Good morning, Tom! As I have stated before, I don't do well on "Name That Tune" quizes. On this one I didn't get any correct, I am even past remedial help. ☺ Watching Jerry Lewis being half-way serious singing "Old Black Magic" was fun to watch and listen to this morning. Love old songs like that. He was a good looking man. My favorite tune you listed was "Sweet Soul Music" and runner up was "Rumors". I remember the Spencer Davis Group. BTW, I love the actor you posted from the Geico TV ad: Does a woodchuck chuck wood?

    Here's hoping you are having wonderful times with your family!

    ¤´¨)
    ¸.•´ ¸.•*´¨)¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•`¤ . .Thank You, Tom! ~♣

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I'm riding on the short bus on this one. I did enjoy listening to them and I find I really like Arthur Conley's sound. That's one of the things I love about your posts- I may not know them coming in, but I find someone new to like by the time I leave.

    For some reason the "goin' to a go-go" line just tickled me and I had to laugh. I remember my young aunts wearing go go boots when I was little.

    Another great post, friend! I truly hope you are enjoying wonderful times with family and friends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy - We're both supposed to be taking a holiday break from blogging. What happened? :) I'm glad you dig my childhood hero Buddy Love and my intros by the Geico question guy. I'm also glad to know that you like "Rumors," one of the more obscure 60s nuggets by a the S.O.S., a band commonly regarded as one hit wonders for "Little Girl." It great to be "gotten" and you always get me, dear friend. I still have your animated Christmas card happily stuck in my head! Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

    Shelly - It's gratifying to know that you leave here having learned something even if it's only a new song. If I can make your day a little better in any way that's what I'm here for and that's what makes me happy. I had fun coming of age during the "go-go" years. Johnny Rivers issued at least three full albums recorded live at the Whisky-A Go Go, the Miracles had a record entitled "Going to a Go-Go," and Gary Lewis & the Playboys sang about "Little Miss Go-Go." Those good times don't have to end unless you fall asleep and wake up old. Don't let it happen. Thank you very much for coming over, dear Shelly, and have a super day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stumped again good buddy. Did not really know the groups but enjoyed being introduced to them. You are really broadening my knowledge of groups.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Odie - Thanks for playing, good buddy. You get a copy of the home game as a consolation prize! (LOL) Stay tuned for the next countdown. I guarantee you'll know at least one of the groups. Have a great evening, Odie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just heard 'Sweet Soul Music' on the radio yesterday. I just love that song. I'm afraid I flunked the lyrics test but i really enjoyed the Spencer Davis song and the Four Tops. Great music. I do remember 'Rumors' and like it too. Great lineup and I hope you are having a good time visiting with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Belle. I appreciate your comments. I'm swamped with house guests at the moment and therefore will need to wait till tomorrow to visit your blog. Thanks again, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, Shady...just call me pitiful!!! I'm ranking down, down, down, at only 1 tonite. But I love "Sweet Soul Music" by Arthur Conley. Even tho I didn't recognize the words to the other songs, I thought I might if I listened to them. Who the heck was I listening to in 1967? Probably James Brown, Otis Redding, and Tommy James! Well, there's next time, and I've started a short list of favorites for your survey. Hope you're enjoying the holiday...talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, Susan! Thanks for stopping by and testing your musical I.Q. I can tell from your use of the words "call me pitiful" that you loved Otis ("call me Mr. Pitiful") Redding. Please stay close because you'll have another chance to pull up your score in the days ahead. Thanks again for coming to visit, Susan, and happy Sunday to you, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got zero right so I am just gonna sit my butt down and dance and hum. I pretty good at both those things so this should be awesome :) Hope you are having a great time with your friends! (they are so lucky to get to hang out with you in person)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello there, Amber! Dancing and humming are important skills and I'm quite sure you excel at both. I am hanging out with family which should not be mistaken for friends! (LOL) Seriously, thank you very much for brightening my holidays with your fly-by, Girly Bird. Kev and Ollie are lucky to belong to you. See you over at your place, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete

You talkin' to me?