CLOSE YOUR EYES. TAKE A DEEP BREATH. OPEN YOUR HEART.

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR
High School Yearbook Photo

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight
HELLO STRANGER ... IT SEEMS LIKE A MIGHTY LONG TIME!

Thursday, September 1, 2011

--- Now Playing at the Shady Dell --- Jukebox Giants of September 1966

=====================================

 Summer's fading 
 fast and a brand 
 new school year is 
 getting underway. 
 I can't wait to find 
 out what's in store 
 on the midway and
 grandstand at  the
 1966 edition of the 
 York Interstate Fair

New releases by established hitmakers have just arrived in the Shady Dell jukebox.
Let's take a peek at this month's music.


 Experience the look and sound of 
 young America! 

___________________________________________________

 New, Hot and Hitbound: 

“Beauty is Only Skin Deep” – Temptations 



“Reach Out I’ll Be There” – Four Tops 



“Said I Wasn’t Gonna Tell Nobody” 
– Sam & Dave 

“If You Got the Loving (I Got the Time)” 
– Sam & Dave 



“96 Tears" – (?) Question Mark & 
the Mysterians 



“Midnight Hour” – (?) Question Mark & 
the Mysterians 



“Walk Away Renee” – Left Banke 



“Cherish” – Association 



“Last Train to Clarksville” – Monkees 



“Psychotic Reaction” – Count Five 



“Rumors” – Syndicate Of Sound 



“Poor Side of Town” – Johnny Rivers 



“Knock on Wood’ – Eddie Floyd 



“Cherry, Cherry” – Neil Diamond 


___________________________________________________

 Old Dell Gold: 
 (Records from past weeks, months and years 
 that have maintained their popularity) 

“What Becomes of the Brokenhearted” – Jimmy Ruffin (August ’66)

“Baby, I’ve Got it” – Jimmy Ruffin (August ’66)

“Sunshine Superman” – Donovan (August ’66)


“Black is Black” – Los Bravos (August ’66)

“Yellow Submarine” – Beatles (August ’66)

“Bus Stop” – Hollies (August ’66)

“You’ll Lose a Precious Love” – Temptations (June ’66)

“Ain’t Too Proud to Beg” – Temptations (June ’66)

“Summer in the City” – Lovin’ Spoonful (July ’66)

“Wild Thing” – Troggs (July ’66)


“Don’t Bring Me Down” – Animals (June ’66)


“Say I Am (What I Am)” – Tommy James & the Shondells (August ’66)

“Open the Door to Your Heart” – Darrell Banks (July ’66) 

"Sunny” – Bobby Hebb (July ’66)

“She Drives Me Out of My Mind” – Swingin’ Medallions (August ’66)

“Land of 1000 Dances” – Wilson Pickett (August ’66)


"B-A-B-Y” – Carla Thomas (August ’66)

“It’s a Man’s, Man’s, Man’s World” – James Brown (May ’66) 

“Everybody’s Gotta Lose Someday” – Del-Chords
(December ’64)


“Cool Jerk” – Capitols (April ’66)

“Hello Stranger” – Capitols (April ’66)

“Peace of Mind” – Magnificent Men (January ’66)

“All Your Lovin’s Gone to My Head” – Magnificent Men (January ’66)


“Hold On, I’m a Comin’” – Sam & Dave (April ’66) 

“I Got Everything I Need” – Sam & Dave (April ’66)

“Close Your Eyes” – Five Keys (March ’55)
___________________________________________________

Big changes are coming to the jukebox in the month of October.


Which of these songs will still be playing which ones will be sent packing?



You have 
one month 
to speculate 
but remember, 
ladies & 
gentlemen, 
this is only 
an exhibition, 
this is not 
a competition; 
so please -- 
no wagering! 






Have a Shady day!

22 comments:

  1. Guilty as charged! Once again, Shady Del Knight, I am charging you with posting another "Best Blog Ever". You are to serve a "life sentence" of entertaining, delighting and informing us with no possible chance of parole. No appeals either so don't get any bright ideas! ☺

    Where do I begin commenting on all these great songs? I would have to say one of my favorites was "96 Tears". There is a fascinating story behind this group and the music. Also love "Midnight Hour", "Psychotic Reaction" (more appreciation for this song now for some reason), "Knock on Wood" and "Cherry, Cherry". Thank you, Shady, THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy - No appeals? Well, you're mighty appealing to me, my friend! (LOL) Looks like we found the zone if you like so many of these from September of '66. I think "Midnight Hour" is one of the best of all garage rock B sides. Neil Diamond's early work is just excellent and "Cherry" is certainly a favorite of mine. If I must serve a life sentence I hope it's as your close friend, dear Cindy! Thank you very much for your sweet comments today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey There :) Was reading on YDR just now about a number you can call to contribute Shady Dell memories and it made me think of you. I don;t visit the blogging world enough anymore! Life is too crazy to write it all. Still love your blog <3
    ~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Lubie! It's wonderful to see you again. I wasn't even aware of YDR's "Remember" series but I just took a look and its a great idea. People can share their memories of TMI (back then it meant Three Mile Island, not "too much info"), York U.S. 30 Drag-O-Way, their favorite York County teachers and many other topics. I'll be sharing my memories of the York Interstate Fair right here on the blog in the next few posts. Thank you very much for coming by, original Dell Rat Lubie, and please come again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there Tom. I'm back home in Devon again now. You've picked that magic year again, i.e. 1966. Really enjoyed your song choices this time round. I've always loved Neil Diamond. He has been over here in England a lot over the past couple of years, and his voice is as good as ever. "Reach Out I'll Be There" I also have on my Jukebox here at home. They were very special, weren't they? (The Four Tops). I remember Walk Away Renee, but not by that artist. The Monkees, of course, were very big at that time (America's answer to The Beatles?!) and I also loved Cherish by The Association. Hope your week is going well my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there, Thisisme! I'm glad you're safely home in South Hams. Alfred's probably missing you already. I appreciate your evening visit. 1966 was the greatest year of my life. It's good to know that many of the popular songs of that year were ones that resonate with you and Odie and Belle and several of our other friends. By 1967 it was all over, in my opinion. Thanks again, dear friend, and I'll be seeing you over on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. At first I strolled through your play list and thought "I dont know any of these songs" but as I pressed played I realized I was very wrong. Reach Out I'll be There had be singing along as to Mr. Rivers. I cant believe I didnt recognize the songs from their titles alone but no ones perfect right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amber Blue Bird - This is our first spat dear friend because I must disagree with you. You ARE perfect! I'm glad you mentioned Johnny Rivers because "Poor Side of Town," a soulful ballad, was a gamble for him, a departure from the go-go style covers that audiences had come to expect. The gamble paid off. "Poor Side" because Rivers' biggest hit. I also dug "Summer Rain," another soulful execution. Thank you every so much for coming by dear Blue Bird or Black Bird (Black Swan?) or whoever you are at this moment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shady, I'm so sorry I didn't get to chime in on your post this morning, but I left in the wee hours today for a field trip and just got back. I am very intrigued by your songs- some I know and some I don't, but I do know that if you've picked them, they're bound to be terrific. I do love Johnny Rivers- his good music spans a few decades. Can't wait to see what the new month brings at the Shady Dell!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Shelly! I was late getting this post published and I figured you might not see it till much later. I hope your field trip was a success and that you will blog about it. Busy as you are it means a lot to me that you made time to come over for a look and a listen. There'll be a mix of music and memories in the coming month including a couple of posts about the annual York Interstate Fair to which I alluded at the beginning of this post. Thank you very much for coming by this evening, dear friend Shelly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Tom,
    Sorry I keep arriving late to school. Life keeps getting in the way of my blog enjoyment! What a delightful repertoire you've presented today. Everyone but he Monkees were favorites of mine. Never joined their craze...but I know many did.

    Enjoy September, throw another popsicle on the fire!
    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sush - Hello, dear friend! Late for school again? Please don't try to convince me that the dog ate your homework! :) I am always curious to learn the why and the how of things and I would love to know why the Monkees didn't appeal to you as much as they did to the masses. Was it something about their music? Did they act too zany for your taste? I didn't watch their TV series for that very reason. Thank you for brightening my pre-dawn morning with your visit and comments, dear Sush!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Walk Away Renee was a great treat for me. I don't remember seeing them sing on TV; the lead singer reminds me of Paul McCartney with his cutie-pie face. I just love that song.

    I loved the song Cherish when it came out, but it was so popular in Calif. they played it constantly on the radio until I got sick of it! Johnny Rivers was again fantastic.

    Great songs, Shady. It made me feel happy today to hear them. Have a lovely weekend in Florida. Fall is on its way here, the temperature has dropped a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Belle - The temp has dropped a bit here, too, from 95 to 93. (LOL) I know what you mean about hearing the same songs over and over until you're sick of them. There are many great songs that I just don't care to hear anymore. The Lefte Banke was heavily influenced by the Beatles and the Zombies and their lead singer, Steve Martin, (no relation to the "King Tut" Steve Martin), had the same boyish good looks that made Paul McCartney a heartthrob. Belle, if I did anything today to make you happy, then that makes me very happy, too! Thank you very much for your comments, dear friend, and have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. how beautiful is Carla Thomas?!
    thanks for another wonderful post dear friend and have a nice week end
    xx *K*

    ReplyDelete
  16. Katia - Yes, Carla is beautiful and possessed an exciting voice, earning her the title of Queen of Memphis Soul. She had solo hits and also sang duets with her famous father Rufus Thomas, Otis Redding and Johnnie Taylor. You're so famous that a storm was named after you! Have a great weekend, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love mny visits to your blog my friend. Leaving hugs and wishes for a weekend filled with Happy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Katie - I love your visits, too! Thank you very much for spending some time in my neighborhood. I hope you have a very enjoyable weekend, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG i didn't know about the storm!!!
    lucky me my real name is katiuscia...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Katia - Yes, you are famous (or infamous). Katiuscia might be on next season's hurricane names list! Have a happy Sunday, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's so great being introduced to all these 'new' songs, Shady! Hmmm, which ones will still be there in October?? Maybe I should ask Alfred :) Have a good week dear Shady!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello G-T! I would think that Alfred fancies "Hound Dog," am I correct? You may consult Alfred about which Shady Dell songs will still be playing in October but please remember this is only an exhibition... no wagering! Thanks you very much for blessing me with your visit, dear Gawgus, and you have a marvy week as well!

    ReplyDelete

You talkin' to me?