CLOSE YOUR EYES. TAKE A DEEP BREATH. OPEN YOUR HEART.

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR
High School Yearbook Photo

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight
HELLO STRANGER ... IT SEEMS LIKE A MIGHTY LONG TIME!

Monday, August 1, 2011

--- Now Playing at the Shady Dell --- Jukebox Giants of August 1966

xxx
A new month is upon us and that means it's time
to peruse the Shady Dell's musical lineup and 
sample the new arrivals for August 1966. 


Motown soul, southern R&B, Brit beat, frat rock, bubblegum - it's all here in the August jukebox. 

Experience the look and sound of 
young America! 

___________________________________________________

New, Hot and Hitbound: 

“What Becomes of the Brokenhearted” 
– Jimmy Ruffin



“Baby, I’ve Got it” – Jimmy Ruffin 



“Say I Am (What I Am)” – Tommy James 
& The Shondells 




“Sunshine Superman” – Donovan 



“Yellow Submarine” – Beatles 



“Black is Black” – Los Bravos 



"Land of 1000 Dances” – Wilson Pickett 




“She Drives Me Out of My Mind” 
– Swingin’ Medallions 




“B-A-B-Y” – Carla Thomas 



“You Can’t Hurry Love” – Supremes 



“Bus Stop” – Hollies 


___________________________________________________

Old Dell Gold: 
(Records from past weeks, months and years
that have maintained their popularity) 

“Ain’t Too Proud to Beg” – Temptations 
(June ’66)

“You’ll Lose a Precious Love” – Temptations 
(June ’66)

“Wild Thing” – Troggs (July ’66) 


“Summer in the City” – Lovin’ Spoonful 
(July ’66)

“It’s a Man’s, Man’s, Man’s World” 
– James Brown (May ’66)

“Is it Yes or is it No? – James Brown 
(May ’66)

“Take Some Time Out for Love” 
– Isley Brothers (June ’66) 


“Open the Door to Your Heart” 
– Darrell Banks (July ’66)

“Hanky Panky” – Tommy James 
& The Shondells (June ’66)

“Don’t Bring Me Down” – Animals (June ’66)

“Sunny” – Bobby Hebb (July ’66)

“Summertime” – Billy Stewart (July ’66) 


“Searching for My Love” – Bobby Moore 
& The Rhythm Aces (July ’66)

“Just a Little Misunderstanding” – Contours 
(June ’66) 


“I Saw Her Again” – Mamas & Papas 
(July ’66)

“Hello Stranger” – Capitols (April ’66)

“Cool Jerk” – Capitols (April ’66)

“Hold On, I’m a Comin’” – Sam & Dave 
(April ’66) 


“I Got Everything I Need” – Sam & Dave 
(April ’66)

“Double Shot (of My Baby’s Love)” 
– Swingin’ Medallions (May ’66)

“(You’re My) Soul and Inspiration” 
– Righteous Brothers (March ’66)

“Peace of Mind” – Magnificent Men 
(January ’66)

“All Your Lovin’s Gone to My Head” 
– Magnificent Men (January ’66)

“Close Your Eyes” – Five Keys (March ’55)

“Everybody’s Gotta Lose Someday” 
– Del-Chords aka Del-Cords) (December ’64)

“No Man is an Island” – Van Dykes 
(March ’66)

“This Old Heart of Mine” – Isley Brothers 
(March ’66)


“I’ll Take Good Care of You” 
– Garnet Mimms (April ’66)

“The Boogaloo Party” – Flamingos 
(March ’66)

“When a Man Loves a Woman” 
– Percy Sledge (April ’66) 
___________________________________________________

Big changes are coming to the Dell jukebox in September.


Which of these records will will still be spinning next month, and which ones will get yanked?



You have
one month
to speculate
but remember,
ladies & gentlemen,
this is only
an exhibition,
this is not
a competition;
so please --
no wagering!






Have a Shady day!

17 comments:

  1. OMG Shady I had forgotten how awesome 1966 was until today. Some of the lyrics on some of the songs was OK but the music was awesome. 66 showcased some great musicians and I always got more out of that than the singing. It was hard to believe how many in your final list that was favorites of mine. Thanks for the trip down memory lane and for getting my monday morning off to a wonderful start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Shady, what a rich collection of music! I ony knew a few of them, so it was nice getting to hear the others. The Beatles are always fun to listen to. They were so hugely talented. I know Yoko Ono was vilified by many for having broken them up, but I think it had to be more than just one person/ factor behind it. Do you think if they had all lived, they would have gotten together for one last music making time? It's nice to dream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Odie - This batch of tunes was right in the zone for you, huh? I'm happy to know that. I consider 1966 to be the greatest year of my life and these are the songs that formed the soundtrack that accompanied all those good times during that endless summer. August '66 wasn't all fun and games for me, however, and I'll explain why in an upcoming post. Thank you very much for your comment, good buddy!

    Shelly - "The way things are goin' they're gonna crucify me." I think most bands have a Yoko or two in them but they should not take all of the blame for breaking up the act. I have my doubts that all four Beatles would have agreed to a modern reunion and it's just as well because I wouldn't have wanted to see it. I am vigilant about protecting my original music and memories. The last thing I want is for my memories to become tarnished by an artist, group or band that is no longer capable of performing as well as they did in their prime. Thank you very much for your visit and your kind words, Shelly, and have a terrific week, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tom, dear friend. As soon as I saw the year 1966, I just knew that I was in for a treat, and I certainly was! I knew ALL the tunes and artists that you picked for us today, and it was a real treat to revisit them. "Black is Black" by Los Bravos was a real favourite of mine at the time! Great song picks today - thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always enjoy your great lists! Yellow Submarine will never get old! Thank you for sharing another great list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thisisme - I'm glad you liked these! I was thrilled to discover that great performance video of Los Bravos singing "Black is Black" because it's one of those oldies that I never get tired of hearing. I'm happy to know that it's also a fave of yours. I hope that you will have a fantastic week ahead, dear Thisisme. Please give Alfred a biscuit for me!

    Kristina - Hello, dear friend! I was delighted to come across that special claymation video for "Yellow Submarine." You wouldn't believe how often my buddies and I sang that song even when it wasn't playing on the radio or jukebox. Thank you very much for your kind visit, dear Kristina. I hope all of your fur babies are enjoying their new home!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Shady,
    I've read somewhere that Percy Sledge never actually wrote out When A Man Loves A Woman that he just ad-libbed and there it was. How marvelous to be so talented!

    Loved your jukebox selections for August...you have a talent for giving memories and joy...

    Thank you and Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sush - Thank you, dear friend! You have a knack for bringing me joy as well. Percy Sledge is discussed rather often here in the comments section. We have concluded that "When a Man Loves a Woman" is one of the most durable 60s soul songs in that it is widely embraced by modern young people because of its use in the hit movie and as an evergreen wedding song. Dell Rat Ron and I will have more Percy Sledge coming up in a future post. As always I am grateful for your visit and your encouraging words, dear friend Sush!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed this list. I have to admit that 'Yellow Submarine' is one of my all-time favorite Beatles songs so I was really happy to see it on here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved hearing "Bus Stop" again. Such a happy song and I love the harmony. When i was a teen I thought Donovan looked dreamy and sang dreamy. I like lots more too. A great selection. I'm sure you are sleeping right now. Have a good sleep and a lovely tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ashton - Chances are if "Yellow Sub" had been released by any other recording act it would have sunk but the Beatles could do no wrong and this catchy ditty became a sensation during August and topped the Cash Box chart by September 10th (#2 on Billboard). Was it intended as a children's song or was there a deeper meaning possibly referring to a drug experience? The Beatles denied that but the debate goes on. Thank you very much for your comment, Ashton!

    Belle - Never assume that I am sleeping because I'm probably not! (LOL) I agree with you about "Bus Stop." It was one of those cheery, upbeat records that helped define the long, seemingly endless summer of 1966 for me and for you. I realize that you are busy with house guests and I greatly appreciate the fact that you made time to visit and comment! Have a great week, dear Belle!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mr Shady!!! Long time no see. So glad to be back and on your blog. This was an exceptional play list, you had me at What Becomes of the Brokenhearted. I love that song and the Supremes I mean come on, who doesnt like the Supremes?? Oh its good to be back :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This 66 playlist has some amazing tunes! Sunshine Superman and the classic You Can't Hurry Love! These are great sunny summer day songs!

    Thanks for your lovely words on my latest film post friend! Hope you're having a great week!

    Emma x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amber Blue Bird - Hello, my dove! I'm very happy to see your shoes and sox back here on my blog. I missed you! I was able to find super clean audio for most of these songs which is somewhat rare for oldies on YouTube. They actually sound much better than they did when I first listened to them on my tinny transistor radio and my 99 cent record player! Thanks so much for your comment, dearie, and I'll be tweeting you again soon!

    Emma - I agree. Those are great sunny summer day songs. The question is, have you enjoyed any sunny days at all this summer in Dublin? I certainly hope that you get your share before time runs out. Thank you very much for blessing me with your visit and your words, Emma, and good night to you, my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. it was like a sweet, refreshing drink of water coming to your blog!! i LOVE listening to the tunes you put up!! its so comforting and heartwarming!! i so wish i was born then!!!
    its always a pleasure to drop in here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello LyDe! It's a pleasure to welcome you back here, dear. I'm glad to know that these Shady Dell jukebox gems give you a lift and warm your heart. Thank you very much for your visit and comments and please come again soon, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a line up of such great songs, Shady! Where to begin ... I think I have the fondest memories from hearing "Say I Am (What I Am), there's just something special about that song. "Sunshine Superman" is one of the greatest, too. I always remember all the fast dancing going on when "Land of 1000 Dances" was played at the dances. Also, I had so many fond memories reading your list of hits. Another great post, Shady! Thank you so much!

    (I apologize for being behind in my postings, I will spare you the details. ;-O )

    ReplyDelete

You talkin' to me?