CLOSE YOUR EYES. TAKE A DEEP BREATH. OPEN YOUR HEART.

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR
High School Yearbook Photo

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight
HELLO STRANGER ... IT SEEMS LIKE A MIGHTY LONG TIME!

Thursday, July 7, 2011

RON HOWARD POPS THE CLUTCH AND TELLS THE WORLD "EAT MY DUST!"

XXX
IT'S RON HOWARD

LIKE YOU'VE NEVER

SEEN HIM BEFORE!


WARNING:

THIS IS NOT YOUR DADDY'S

OPIE TAYLOR!




RON HOWARD'S BACK...

HE'S BAD...


AND MERCY SAKES ALIVE...

HE'S PUTTIN' THE

HAMMER DOWN!




Negatory, good buddy, I'm not reviewing those Opie opuses. I just wanted to acknowledge Roger Corman, master of the quick 'n dirty, as one of my favorite moviemakers.





* LOW 
BUDGET?

* NO 
BUDGET?

* NO 
TIME? 

* NO 
PROBLEM! 







WELCOME TO PART 7 OF  

SUMMER MEANS FUN! 

In this post and the three that follow I'll be presenting some of my favorite 60s car songs. It's time to put yourself behind the wheel of your custom machine.

Get your motor runnin'... 
Head out on the highway... 
Lookin' for adventure... 
In whatever comes your way! 

Every year it seems to take forever for summer to arrive in Central Pennsylvania. Spring is typically a frustrating series of false starts.

By the middle of June the interminable waiting is finally over.
A change in attitude no longer requires a change in latitude. Enjoy it while you can.  After the 4th of July, time seems to speed up and summer passes quickly!

At some point during the fleeting warm weather window many Yorkers take off for seashore resorts in New Jersey
and Maryland.  Popular destinations include OCNJ, OCMD, LBI, Rehoboth, Cape May and Wildwood. (Just ask Dell Rat Jerre!)

"Wildwood Days" - Bobby Rydell 
(June 1963, highest chart position #17) 



Naturally, the teenagers of Southern California also flock to the beaches.  Back in the day, there was another place that packed them in: the local drag strip. Jan and Dean pick up the story as they make it out to Drag City.

"Drag City" - Jan and Dean  
(January 1964, highest chart position #10) 



In 1960s York if you didn't feel like driving all the way to the beach you could cool off at Zimmy's, Wise Haven, Playland
or one of the other area pools.

You could also just go around in circles, cruising the loop to show off your wheels. Speaking of going around in circles, our buddies Jan and Dean tell us about the little old ladies
of the double-A-C A-S-S-N, a gaggle of gals who love to

spin donuts in their lawns.  
All week long they put up jam and preserves 
but on the weekend they negotiate curves! 

"The Anaheim, Azusa & Cucamonga
Sewing Circle, Book Review &
Timing Association" - Jan and Dean
(October 1964, highest chart position #77) 



In the summer of 1964 the Beach Boys scored a number one smash hit with "I Get Around." The song elucidated a guy's passion for getting behind the wheel, making the scene and impressing the ladies.


"I Get Around" - Beach Boys 
(July 1964, highest chart position #1) 



"Bread and Butter" might have been the Newbeats' bread and butter, but I liked their badder songs better. A good example is the killer bee side of the "Bread and Butter" single that charted in the late summer of 1964.


Extolling the virtues of the Chevrolet Corvair, here are Larry Henley and the Newbeats with "Tough Little Buggy."

"Tough Little Buggy" - Newbeats 
(September 1964, uncharted B side 
of "Bread and Butter") 



Stay put! More fuel injected hot rod tunes 
are coming up in the next edition of 

SUMMER MEANS FUN! 

Have a Shady day!

25 comments:

  1. You got my engine reved up with that one good buddy. Also got me wanting to hurry down to the video store to hunt down some Ron Howard racing flicks. I had forgot he even did that sort of thing. The songs had my foot patting for sure and some were my first time. You get an A+ for this one. Have an awesome week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Odie - Ron Howard certainly had an interesting career, going from child star on Andy Griffith to a teenager in Happy Days, American Graffiti, el-cheapo car crash films and in recent years an award winning director. Ron's girlfriend in Eat My Dust was the pretty blonde with the boyish name, Christopher Norris, who appeared a few years earlier in one of my favorite movies, Summer of '42. Thanks for your comment, Odie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shady! It was fun seeing Ron Howard in all those guises! I remember him mostly, of course, from the long running TV series, Happy Days, along with The Fonz. It was great to see all those retro looking cars. I can still remember riding in one back in the 60s, with leather seats with a bench seat in the front, and the gear change on the steering wheel. Fantastic! In those days, a lot of the cars looked as if they had wings. Great to hear those Beach Boys and Jan & Dean songs today. Made me feel very summery. Thank you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thisisme - I hope you finally have some summery weather to match your mood, dear friend! I rode in a few muscle cars like those depicted here but I never owned one. You'll be seeing more such images in the next three volumes of Summer Means Fun. Glad you enjoyed the nostalgia, dear Thisisme, and wishing you a very happy evening in merry ole' England!

    ReplyDelete
  5. who knew Ron Howard how such a bad boy streak :) I really enjoyed that beach boys video, I hadnt heard I Get Around in quite some time. Oh and thank you a million times over for you crazy sweet comment on my video today. I was super nervous about posting it but your comment made me smile and calmed me down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heehee! I love your vehicle inspired post! Ron Howard certainly is versatile, what a funny trailer! I loved him in American Graffiti, which also has a great soundtrack. He has made some dodgy films though!

    I Get Around, one of my favourite Beach Boys songs and a great live performance!

    Emma x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amber Blue Bird - You're the real deal, my friend. You're pro class all the way and that's a fact, Jack! Awesome! Thanks for coming by to see Ron Howard hit rock bottom and have a super Friday and weekend, dear friend!

    Emma - You're another one! You have an amazing list of talents and abilities that are being revealed on your blog. It is such a pleasure to know young people of your caliber. Thanks for taking a look at my latest offering, dear friend, and have a fine evening in Dublin!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to laugh at those Ron Howard movie trailers. Opie teaching teens to drive crazy and cause crashes! I think "I Get Around" is my favorite Beach Boy song. It was great hearing all the others and seeing the cars. My boyfriend in California owned a souped-up Barracuda. I drove my mom's red Comet station wagon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Belle - I figured you had a boyfriend with a souped up car. Pretty girls like you always got guys with hot wheels! Meanwhile, old Shady was stuck driving his dad's nerdmobile and it wasn't exactly a babe magnet. I'm glad you got a kick out of Grand Theft Opie! (LOL) Thanks for cruising over my way, dear friend Belle, and have a good night in B.C.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ron howard..happy days was my favourite tv program and i was in love with him when i was a child(and with fonzie's cousin also!)..he was such a good looking guy,and he still is.thanks for sharing it and have a great week end
    ciao!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Katia - Did you also watch Laverne and Shirley and Joanie Loves Chachi? Happy days for me begin with a visit from you, my friend! Enjoy your weekend in Italy, dear Katia!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Opie, having been raised under the stern hand of Aunt Bee, grows up and gets wild behind the wheel! Hilarious! Loved this introduction to the post, Shady. Liked the recognition of Roger Corman, who used sheer determination and persistance even though there was "low budget, no budget, no time, no problem". A fan of Corman, heard his name mentioned just last night in a documentary. Fav songs listed are "Wildwood Days", "Drag City" and "I Get Around".

    A few weeks ago I was at Corvair show, was inside a Corvair Ultravan (motorhome). WoW! Being a more "mature" Honorary Dell Rat ;~D, Ralph Nader's book, "Unsafe At Any Speed" means something to me. One of the guys I talked to at the show said he met Nader a few yrs ago, he was congenial and posed for photos but refused to have the Corvairs in the background of the photos.

    Thanks so much, Shady, for bringing back such precious memories.

    ReplyDelete
  13. P.S. Please excuse my misspelling and typo. (Yikes :~/)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cindy - They missed their chance when they cast those two Ron Howard movies. It would have been a hoot to see Don Knotts as Barney Fife chasing the speeding Ron in his Mayberry cruiser! Actually, Knotts did play a highway patrol officer in Cannonball Run II so somebody had the right idea. I remember very well the impact that Nader had back in the 60s and the controversy over the Corvair as well as Mustangs with the fuel tank in the rear. My dear honorary Dell rat, I didn't even notice any typos. It pleases me, however, that I always seem to get more than one comment out of you! :) Have a marvelous weekend, Cindy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for your kind words on my post about my wisdom teeth! It sure means a lot to me to have you care and think about me. I'm so very appreciative!

    And I love these retro cars almost as much as I love my VW beetle... Nothing can replace my baby, hahah!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lauren - I hope you're not in too much discomfort following your oral surgery. Yes, I looked at the clock this morning and thought about you! What a coincidence: when I was your age I was also driving a VW Beetle! You could find it parked outside the Shady Dell nearly every night. Thank you very much for coming over to see me and have a happy and restful weekend, dear friend Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Shady, this blog is real nice and informative---didn't know what Ron Howard did after he left Mayberry. Aunt Bee would be shocked!

    Hope you had a great Fourth and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ron - Roger Corman blew it! He should have cast Aunt Bee as machine gun totin' crime boss Ma Barker in Bloody Mama. We could refer to her as Killer Bee! (LOL) Thanks for checking in and checking it out, good buddy, and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Okay first off is it weird that I've seen those Ron Howard movies, LOL The cars oh those cars, I remember so many of them from my school parking lot. Muscle cars baby, giggle. Big Hugs and have a happy weekenb

    ReplyDelete
  20. Katie - It is somewhat surprising for me to learn that a woman of refinement like you saw those car crash flicks. Yes, I remember quite well the guys spinning the wheels of their gas guzzling muscle cars and speeding through the school parking lot to attract the attention of the ladies. (It always worked!) I am so happy to see your smiling face here today, dear friend, and I wish you a very happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Shady,
    Been a little busy and haven't been playing with my blogger friends for the past few days! Oh did I miss some fun! Of course Opie grew up to be a bad boy...how cool. And oh those tunes!

    Thanks again for a lovely, racy run down memory lane!
    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sush - Hello, my friend! I'm so glad to see you again! As you know there have been many child actors who had difficulty finding work in the business after their original hit series ended. Ron Howard is a success story. He seemed to enjoy dabbling in those low budget exploitation movies but easily jumped around to other projects including The Shootist (the John Wayne western) and other hit TV series including Arrested Development. He found a home in back of the camera directing Cocoon, Parenthood, Backdraft, Apollo 13 and A Beautiful Mind to name a few of my favorites. Thank you very much for visiting and commenting, Sush!

    Donna - Hello, and welcome back to you as well! My mission is to take you back time and time again and I promise not to declare it "accomplished" any time soon. Please stay close and enjoy what I have to offer throughout the summer and beyond. Your visit means a lot to me, Donna, and I hope that you are having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Had no idea Ron Howard did this as well - is there nothing he hasn't done?! Love all the cars you've shown here. Have a great week, Shady!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gawgus - "Is there anything that Ron Howard hasn't done?" you ask. Well, I'm fairly sure that he never enjoyed a champagne brunch atop the Eiffel Tower with you, my dear friend. That should be on everybody's bucket list. Have a fine evening and a great week, G-T, and please give Alfred a pat on the head for me.

    ReplyDelete

You talkin' to me?