CLOSE YOUR EYES. TAKE A DEEP BREATH. OPEN YOUR HEART.

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR
High School Yearbook Photo

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight
HELLO STRANGER ... IT SEEMS LIKE A MIGHTY LONG TIME!

Sunday, July 3, 2011

--- Now Playing at the Shady Dell --- Jukebox Giants of July 1966

ixxx
July's here.  It's time once again 

to get change for a dollar from 

Helen, head down the walkway 

to the barn, and sample some 

sizzling sounds on the jukebox! 


Soul music still rules but the winds of change 
are starting to blow up on Violet Hill. 

Experience the look and sound 

of  young America! 
___________________________________________________

New, Hot and Hitbound:

“Summer in the City" – Lovin’ Spoonful 



“Wild Thing” – Troggs 



“Sunny” – Bobby Hebb 



“Open the Door to Your Heart” 
– Darrell Banks 



“Mother’s Little Helper” – Rolling Stones 



“Lady Jane” – Rolling Stones 



“Summertime” – Billy Stewart 



“Searching for My Love” – Bobby Moore 
 & the Rhythm Aces 



“I Saw Her Again” – Mamas & Papas 


___________________________________________________

Old Dell Gold: 
(Records from past weeks, months and years 
that have maintained their popularity) 

“You’ll Lose a Precious Love” 
Temptations (June ’66)

“Ain’t Too Proud to Beg” 
Temptations (June ’66) 

“It’s a Man’s, Man’s, Man’s World” 
– James Brown (May ’66) 


“Is it Yes or is it No?” 
 – James Brown (May ’66) 

“Take Some Time Out for Love” 
– Isley Brothers (June ’66) 

“Hanky Panky” – Tommy James 
& the Shondells (June ’66) 

“Cheating” – Animals (June ’66)

“Don’t Bring Me Down” – Animals 
(June ’66) 


“Just a Little Misunderstanding” 
– Contours (June ’66) 

“Barefootin’” – Robert Parker 
(May ’66) 

“Truly Yours” – Spinners (June ’66)

“Double Shot (of My Baby’s Love)” 
– Swingin’ Medallions (May ’66) 


“Hungry" – Paul Revere & the Raiders
(June ’66)

“He” – Righteous Brothers (June ’66)

“Along Comes Mary” - Association 
(June ’66) 

“Paperback Writer” – Beatles 
(June ’66) 


“Little Girl” – Syndicate Of Sound 
(June ’66) 

“Sweet Pea” – Tommy Roe (June ’66)

“Hello Stranger” – Capitols (April ’66)

“Cool Jerk” – Capitols (April ’66)

"I Got Everything I Need” 
– Sam & Dave (April ’66) 

“Hold on, I’m a Comin’” 
– Sam & Dave (April ’66) 

"When a Man Loves a Woman” 
– Percy Sledge (April ’66) 

“(You’re My) Soul and Inspiration” 
– Righteous Brothers (March ’66) 


“A Groovy Kind of Love” – Mindbenders 
(April ’66) 

“No Man is an Island” – Van Dykes 
(March ’66) 

“I Won’t Hold it Against You” 
– Van Dykes (March ’66) 

“Peace Of Mind” – Magnificent Men 
(January ’66) 

“All Your Lovin’s Gone to My Head” 
– Magnificent Men (January ’66) 

“Shoot Your Shot” – Jr. Walker & 
the All Stars (April ’66) 


“(I’m a) Road Runner” – Jr. Walker & 
the All Stars (April ’66) 

“I Am a Rock” – Simon & Garfunkel 
(May ’66) 

“This Old Heart of Mine” 
– Isley Brothers (March ’66) 

“Get Ready” – Temptations (March ’66)

“The Boogaloo Party” – Flamingos 
(March ’66) 

“Mustang Sally” – Young Rascals 
(March ’66) 


“Good Lovin’” – Young Rascals 
(March ’66) 

“Close Your Eyes” – Five Keys 
(March ’55) 

“Everybody’s Gotta Lose Someday” 
– Del-Chords aka Del-Cords) 
(December ’64) 
___________________________________________________

Big changes are coming to the Dell jukebox next month.


Come August which of these songs will still be hot and
which will most certainly be not?



You have
one month
to speculate
but remember,
ladies & gentlemen,
this is only
an exhibition,
this is not
a competition;
so please --
no wagering!






Have a Shady day!

19 comments:

  1. Hi there dear Mr Shady!
    I do love your music selection of the month. I know in 1966 what was playing on the juke box in my junior high basement Each and Every Day was Mary Wells', My Guy. Every morning at least five times the button was selected and swayed to by a roomful of 13 - 15 year old teens! Even though the song came out in 1964, it played forever in the PGT Beauregard Junior High basement!

    Please keep the tunes rockin'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Shady and thanks for a great selection for the 4th. Some I was unfamiliar with since I didn't follow the stones but I enjoyed it all very much. Linda & I will be heading home after breakfast to have our reunion with our Rocky and I will have pictures later today. Happy 4th my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So now I basically have to hop on to Itunes and get every song to add to my summer party play list especially Summer in the City. I never knew who sang that song but because you are so awesome, I now do and plan on playing it at least ten times today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sush - I love comments like yours because they give me and everybody else something to ponder. I am trying to understand why that particular song by Mary Wells remained popular for so long at a school in Louisiana. It was much the same at the Shady Dell. There were a few records that were played so often that they stayed on the jukebox for a long time while others came and went. A few survived for years and one of them was a perennial favorite for more than ten years! Phenomena like that fascinate me. Thank you very much for your visit and comment. Sush, and stay tuned for more great music and memories!

    Odie - Rocky's going to be happy to see mommy and daddy. I wonder what he'll think if he smells those goats on you? (LOL) I'm glad you enjoyed a few of these songs from 7/66 and I hope that you, Linda and Rocky enjoy a restful 4th!

    Amber Blue Bird - "Summer in the City" played at least 10 times each night at the Dell throughout the endless summer of 1966. Dell rats loved the song for its powerful and evocative lyrics ("hotter than a match head") and because it was laced with sound fx hooks - the jackhammer and traffic noises. I love it when a plan comes together and my favorites become your favorites. Have a great Indie Day, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Somehow I found your profile and was so intrigued I just had to come over:). I really enjoyed reading over some of your posts and listening to the music. Seems I am an old soul in a young body, who knew!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jedbel - Hello and welcome to SDM&M! I am very pleased to have you as a follower. This is a place where young and old from the four corners of the world meet to relax, listen to music, laugh and forget their cares for a while. That's what the original Shady Dell was all about. Many of my friends and followers are just like you - old souls in young bodies - and I know that you'll enjoy getting to know them as time goes by. Thank you once again, Jedbel, for your support of Shady Dell Music & Memories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Such great songs, Shady. "Summer In the City" is amazing. Always loved "Sunny". I have to say "Summertime" was fantastic. I loved the Barbie in the video. And look at him do the splits. I couldn't do that when I was young although I tried. You know what? The last bit of music in that song reminded me of James Bond music.

    By the way, Happy 4th of July. I should have said that at the start of my blog, but you know me. I didn't realize what day it was. :( Thisisme is more on the ball.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Belle - You've been Canadian for so long that the American 4th of July observance has all but faded from memory. That's understandable. I would never have remembered Canada Day if you hadn't blogged about it. YouTube can be frustrating for music bloggers. Thousands of oldies are unavailable due to copyright restrictions. When you do find a song that you want to embed on your blog you have to wade through numerous rerecorded versions, cover versions and live versions with shaky video and poor audio. If you're lucky you find the original studio version of the song with HQ sound. If you're very lucky you find a clip with good sound accompanied by nostalgic visuals. "Summertime" is one of those rare videos. Thank you very much for coming to visit, Belle, and here's wishing you a wonderful week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Kirsty! It's so nice of you to visit all the way from Australia. I took a look at your blog and love the pictures of your kitties. While I can't promise you much in the way of punk country music I can guarantee good songs, smiles, laughs and friendship. If that combination appeals to you I invite you to join me here regularly and have fun meeting wonderful people from around the globe. Thanks again for coming by, Kirsty, and I hope to hear from you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Shady! You were so right to list "Summer in the City" at the top! How well I remember the song and how I loved it! "Wild Thing", "Sunny", "Mother's Little Helper" and "I Saw Her Again" are other old favorites. I enjoyed hearing "Lady Jane" again, I had forgotten that wistful song.

    About "Summer Time": I LOVE this song. Yesterday when I first watched the "Summer Time" video, I was assuming it was Billy Stewart "gettin' down" in the video, I loved this dancing and him doing the splits. Today I was studying the video and the clothing style of the dancers appears older than 1960s. Now I have decided it was not Billy Stewart in the video. I don't know how you do it, Shady, another fAnTaStIc blog post!

    Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cindy - How do I do it? It's all smoke and mirrors, I assure you! :) I think you're correct that the footage of the couple dancing is circa 1930s and was edited into the video by the uploader. Billy Stewart was rotund and died tragically in car crash while still in his prime. So many of the greats perished before their time as I'm sure you know. Thank you very much for coming over for a visit, dear friend Cindy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Shady! I'm sorry, I know I'm late, but with having the family, it's been a bit hectic and I've had to try to fit in my blogging when I could! But I know that you will understand my dear friend. Anyway, I'm here now, and that's quite a list of fantastic music that you had for us in this latest post of yours. I'm pleased to say that I knew nearly all the songs today and they really did bring back some memories. I always liked Lady Jane by the Rolling Stones - such a gentle song! (Just like me. LOL!!) Wild Thing by The Troggs I always loved, and one that really did jolt my memory today was Tommy James and The Shondells. Crumbs, that really was a blast from the past! Tommy Roe was also a favourite of mine. In particular, "Sheila". When A Man Loves A Woman by Percy Sledge if, of course, just as strong today as it was then and is still played all the time. Hope you're having a good week over there in Florida!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm very curious to see what you will do next month. I'm sure we're in for a treat. You always take good care of your friends. :)

    I must say of this post "Wild Things" had me blushing. That song may be one of the hottest songs ever written. It's enough to make a girl swoon and melt into a puddle where she stands.

    Another song mentioned that I simply adore is The Temptations' Ain't too proud to beg. Now that's a real man who can sing those lyrics!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thisisme - I realize that Alfred's been keeping you hopping over there, dear friend, and I fully understand why you are tardy with your comment. You know that most of my posts run for 3 or 4 days so not to worry. Like you I am fond of Rolling Stones ballads like "Lady Jane" in which Jagger dials it back a bit. Thank you very much for coming to call, dear Thisisme, and happy Wordless Wednesday to you!

    Hi, Crystal Pistol! - The more I get to know you the more I appreciate your map of the world. I agree that it takes a real man to swallow his pride and express everything that's in his heart and soul. That's why I love soulful music and soulful people. Thank you very much for showing up, dear friend, and have a terrific day over your way!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, Shady, how tragic the very talented Billy Stewart died at the young age of 32 years. I was shocked to learn he was the driver of the car which plunged into the Neuse River (NC), killing himself and three of his bandmembers in 1970.

    (PS-Hope you read my "Thank You" response. ;-) )

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yessum. I read your "thank you" response. Did you read my response to your response? (LOL)

    ReplyDelete

You talkin' to me?