CLOSE YOUR EYES. TAKE A DEEP BREATH. OPEN YOUR HEART.

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR
High School Yearbook Photo

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight
HELLO STRANGER ... IT SEEMS LIKE A MIGHTY LONG TIME!

Thursday, April 7, 2011

--- Now Playing at the Shady Dell --- Jukebox Giants of April 1966

xxx
March Madness gave way 

to April showers..... and it's 

raining hits at the Shady Dell! 

Time once again to take a look inside the jukebox and see what's hot and what's not in April 1966. At a single glance
it becomes apparent that soul music, both brown-eyed and blue-eyed, is coming on strong this month!

Experience the look and sound
of young America! 

___________________________________________________

New, Hot and Hitbound: 

“Cool Jerk” – Capitols



“Hello Stranger” – Capitols



“Hold On, I’m a Comin’” – Sam & Dave



“I Got Everything I Need” – Sam & Dave



I’ll Take Good Care of You” – Garnet Mimms



“When a Man Loves a Woman” 
– Percy Sledge




"(I’m a) Road Runner” – Jr. Walker 
& the All Stars



“Shoot Your Shot” – Jr. Walker 
& the All Stars



“Sloop John B” – Beach Boys



“A Groovy Kind of Love” – Mindbenders



“Secret Agent Man” – Johnny Rivers


___________________________________________________

Old Dell Gold: 
(Records from past weeks, months and years 
that have maintained their popularity) 

“(You’re My) Soul and Inspiration” 
– Righteous Brothers (March ’66) 


“B Side Blues” – Righteous Brothers (March ’66) 

“Peace of Mind” – Magnificent Men (January ’66) 

“All Your Lovin’s Gone to My Head” – Magnificent Men 
(January ’66) 

“No Man is an Island” – Van Dykes (March ’66) 



“I Won’t Hold it Against You” – Van Dykes (March ’66) 

“Fading Away” – Temptations (March ’66) 

“Get Ready” – Temptations (March ’66) 

“This Old Heart of Mine” – Isley Brothers (March ’66) 

“The Boogaloo Party” – Flamingos (March ’66) 

“Mustang Sally” – Young Rascals (March ’66) 



“Good Lovin’” – Young Rascals (March ’66) 

“Dark Side” – Shadows of Knight (March ’66) 

“Gloria” – Shadows of Knight (March ’66) 

“Philly Dog” – Mar-Keys (March ’66) 

“Time Won’t Let Me” – Outsiders (March ’66) 

“Shake It Up” – Paul Revere & the Raiders (March ’66) 



“Kicks” – Paul Revere & the Raiders (March ’66) 

“Nowhere Man” – Beatles (March ’66) 

“Daydream” – Lovin’ Spoonful (March ’66) 

“Little Latin Lupe Lu” – Mitch Ryder 
& the Detroit Wheels (March ’66)  

“Shake Me, Wake Me (When It’s Over)” – Four Tops 
(February ’66) 


“It’s My Life” – Animals (November ’65) 

“Everybody’s Gotta Lose Someday” – Del-Chords 
aka Del-Cords (December ’64) 

“Close Your Eyes” – Five Keys (March ’55) 

“Agent Double-O Soul” – Edwin Starr (August ’65) 

“Human” – Tommy Hunt (September ’61) 

“Big City Lights” – Sam the Sham & the Pharaohs 
(August ’65) 


“Two People in the World” – Little Anthony & 
the Imperials (August ’58) 
___________________________________________________

Big changes are coming to the jukebox next month.


Which of these songs will still be around in May
and which ones will just ff...ff...fade away?



You have
one month
to speculate
but remember,
ladies & gentlemen,
this is only
an exhibition,
this is not
a competition;
so please --
no wagering!






Have a Shady day!

24 comments:

  1. am i the first one to leave a comment?!
    btw i vote for "when a man loves a woman"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katia - Yes, my dear, you are the first to comment. Everybody here in America is still asleep! (LOL) I thought you might choose the Percy Sledge song because it is quite popular with the younger generation. Thank you for coming to see me, Katia, and enjoy your day in Rome, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahaha yes,i didn't consider the time zone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great year (year after my high school graduation), a great month (spring time & right after my birthday in march). I enjoyed listening to all of them and some I didn't remember but am glad to have heard them. Percy Sledge still gets my vote but so many of them make me feel so good. Happy thursday my friend.
    Odie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Odie - The spring of 1966 was ground zero for Dell songs. My survey of greatest Dell songs of the mid 60s reveals that more high ranked songs emerged during this period than at any other time in the 22-month span. Thanks for sampling this month's jukebox giants, Odie, and have a great day up Rocky Mount way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for a great list there Shady. I think 1966 was a good year! Obviously, I would have to pick Percy Sledge's "When a Man Loves A Woman", as one of my all time favourites, but I also really enjoyed Sloop John B by the Beachboys, and Groovy Kind of Love by the Mindbenders. Another great post and thanks for letting us re-visit all those Golden Oldies dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wendy Tyler Ryan - Hello and welcome to SDM&M, Wendy! My cousin got me hooked on Johnny Rivers when he introduced me to the Live at the Whisky A-Go-Go album series. My eyes popped when I visited your site and saw Etta James "Seven Day Fool" as a song of the day along with selections by Michael Jackson, the Shondells and other artists that I dig. Thank you very much for visiting, Wendy! I love meeting writers so let's stay in touch, okay?

    Thisisme - 1966 was way before your time, my dear friend (LOL) but I'm pleased to know that you bopped to some of these oldies. "When a Man Loves a Woman" has been hot with people of all ages since 1994 when it became the title song of that hit Meg Ryan movie. I suspect it is also frequently used as a wedding song. Thanks for your comment, dear friend Thisisme!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Groovy kind of love - one of my favourites oldies:-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never heard of Cool Jerk by the Capitols before but it was way catchy! But I think my fave is Sloop John B. Pet Sounds has to be one of the top ten best albums in the universe :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Groovy Kind of Love and When A Man Loves a Woman will neither one ever get old! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wanilianna - That ballad by the Mindbenders was way up there on my Dell hits survey. The simple, innocent pop love song was the perfect way to celebrate the coming of spring in Pennsylvania and Dell rats eagerly embraced it. Thank you for taking a look and a listen, dear friend Wanilianna, and enjoy your evening in Poland!

    Amber Blue Bird - I'm glad you're familiar with Pet Sounds, a brilliant piece of work that has stood the test of time. "Cool Jerk" and its killer bee "Hello Stranger" delivered a one-two knock-out punch. The Capitols' single remained hot in the Shady the rest of the spring and summer! Thanks for your comment, dear friend Amber!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kristina - I can imagine both songs being chosen by today's young couples to play at their wedding receptions. A great song never goes out of style, particularly nowadays when so many young people are going retro - a trend that delights me and many others my age and older. Thank you for stopping by, dear friend Kristina, and please hug Wyatt, Leo and Link for me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love so many of these songs. The only one I didn't recognize was, "I'll Take Care of You," which I wish I had heard in 1966, I thought it was beautiful.
    I think the song that will stand the test of time is, "When A Man Loves A Woman". It seems timeless to me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Belle - Everybody seems to be in agreement about that Percy Sledge song. There are dozens of uploads and covers on YouTube. I'm also glad that you discovered the Garnet Mimms song and enjoyed it. I have a special Dell memory connected to that one. I was slow dancing with a Dellette one evening when Helen made a rare appearance in the barn to tidy up a bit. Helen was like a mother to me and when she saw me out on the floor behaving like a perfect gentleman with one of the ladies she smiled her approval and winked at me. Thank you very much for your comment, dear friend Belle!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A great lineup with variety, Shady! It was easy to pick my favorite one, Secret Agent Man. What a youthful Johnny Rivers. Funny how we look back and realize the young ages of these performers. The dancing was fun to watch in the video, too. My next three favorites were Cool Jerk, Hold On, I'm Comin' and Sloop John B. That was a cute story of Helen's wink to you.

    Thank you Shady, for highlighting these old tunes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cindy - Hello, dear friend! Johnny Rivers sounded great on those live albums and I also dug his studio recordings beginning with "Mountain of Love," a fine cover of a hit by Harold Dorman. In the summer of 1966 I saw the Beach Boys perform "Sloop John B" live in concert at a venue in nearby Lancaster, PA. Thank you very much for your visit, Cindy, and stay well deep in the heart of Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your puns make me smile, along with your excellent music selection! I liked Sloop John B the best I think. Hope you're doing well Shady!

    ReplyDelete
  19. p.s.
    Oh everyone has a lucky star
    That shines in the sky up above
    If you wish on a lucky star
    You're sure to find someone to love

    ReplyDelete
  20. 'Groovy kind of love' is my pick, Shady! Have a groovy kind of weekend, ok!

    hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  21. Alabee - What does it mean when we complete each other's song lyrics? :) I'm glad you like my puns because I admit that I make liberal use of them. I cannot take credit for selecting this music. It was chosen 46 years ago by dancing Dell rats who had radar for cool. I am very thankful that you watched Circus of Horrors. It's an experience and a memory that you and I now share. Thank you for visiting, dear friend Alabee, and please take good care of yourself!

    Lenore Nevermore - "Groovy Kind of Love" is getting its share of votes from readers on both sides of the pond. By the spring of 1966 simple pop love songs like that one were on the endangered species list at the Dell and elsewhere. Music with a serious message and a sharper edge was taking its place in the jukebox and on the radio. Stay safe in Singapore, my dear friend Lenore!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Percy Sledge 'When a man loves a woman' is my favourite. But I also love The Beach boys. I was reading your comment about weddings. My friends got married the other weekend and their first dance was to The Beach Boys 'Dont' worry baby' and if Craig and i get married one day our first dance will be to The Beach boys too.
    There is definitely a Beach Boy's trend going on in London at the moment, with all the retro lovers being inspired by their music. My boyfriends band are very much inspired by them and the 60's girl group sound.especially The Tammy's. Check them out you might like them:

    http://www.myspace.com/weirdweirddreams

    Have a lovely weekend shady ( and thanks for your lovely coment) x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Kelly-marie - I had coffee with Mike Love in April of 1984 when he came to the television station where I worked to shoot promos. You know that I love all things David Lynch and I just got back from sampling the work of Weird Dreams. They're super! I admire any modern band that also lists Syl Johnson and O.V. Wright among their influences! As I listened to "Little Girl" I imagined myself on the dimly lit dance floor at One Eyed Jacks, a strobe light flashing, swaying trance-like with Laura and Donna! Thank you for turning me on to your bf's band, Kelly-marie, and have a marvy weekend in London!

    ReplyDelete

You talkin' to me?