CLOSE YOUR EYES. TAKE A DEEP BREATH. OPEN YOUR HEART.

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR
High School Yearbook Photo

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight
HELLO STRANGER ... IT SEEMS LIKE A MIGHTY LONG TIME!

Friday, March 4, 2011

Style and Substance: New Blog Awards Received and Paid Forward

xxx
I am proud to
announce that my
dear friend Thisisme
who operates the
Southhamsdarling 
blog in Devonshire, 
England has given
me another award,
this one for allegedly
having A Blog With
Substance.  Really, Thisisme?  If you read
my blog long enough you will surely come
to realize that you are sadly mistaken.
Nevertheless, I want to thank Thisisme
for this award and for the gift of her
friendship. 

I would also like
to thank Gingey,
Kelly-marie and PencilGirl, three
of my other 
blog friends,
for giving me
the Stylish
Blogger Award!


Gingey hosts
The Adventures of Gingeyginge.

Kelly-marie hosts
A Harem of Peacocks.

PencilGirl hosts
Conquering the World.



Last but not least 
I also received the

Awesome Blog
Award from
Thisisme!



Most blog awards come with strings attached a set of rules. I wasn't given any specific instructions with the Awesome Blog award, but the other two awards each require me to divulge 7 personal facts and then pass the award along to
at least 5 and as many as 15 other deserving bloggers.

I trust that Thisisme, Gingeyginge, Kelly-marie and PencilGirl will all understand if I combine their awards and list only 7 new things about myself rather than 28. I honestly doubt that I could come up with that many. After all...I just got finished answering Israel's 19 question survey and LyDe's
10 question survey. I also disclosed additional facts about myself when I accepted the Honest Scrap award from Thisisme a few weeks ago. In case you missed it here are some of the tidbits that I revealed in that earlier post:

I was the first human ever to moonwalk
on the sun...at which time  I uttered the 
now famous words 

"OUCH! HOLY HELL OUCH!!!"

Subsequently I became the inspiration
behind Astronaut Mike Dexter, the TV 
character on 30 Rock.

I had the distinction of being the first
nude lion taming act ever to headline
in Vegas.

I once consumed 723 sardines in five
minutes during a competitive eating
contest in Reykjavík, Iceland, losing
by a mere herring-and-a-half to heavy
favorite Vladimir Borisevski of the
Ukraine.

Now I need to think of 7 more secrets to share with you.  Okay, the rest of these are all true.

1. Like Shady Dell owners Helen and
John Ettline I never had any children
of my own.  It was by choice.

2. I once rolled my dad's Volkswagen
Beetle on a rain slick curve while
performing racing maneuvers on my
way to the Dell.  Battery acid sprayed
throughout the car interior eating holes
in the upholstery and in my brand new
safari jacket which I was hoping to show
off that evening on the Dell dance floor. Beetlejuice!  Beetlejuice!  Beetlejuice! 


3. My first day of school in the first grade
ended badly. My teacher (an elderly woman
about my age) got confused because my
name was nearly identical to another boy's
and was pronounced exactly the same.
The teacher put the other boy on my bus 
and sent him on his way to my neighborhood
while making me wait for a later bus that
would have taken me in the opposite
direction to his part of the district.

When I didn't get off the bus at my stop my
mother freaked out and rushed to the school
in a borrowed car to find me. The teacher
apologized for the blunder and mom took me
home. The other boy rode my empty bus all
the way back to the school and finally got on
the right one.

4. I acted in a college production of
Tennessee Williams' Suddenly Last Summer, playing Dr. Cukrowicz, the role popularized
by Montgomery Clift in the 1959 movie.



My only regret is that I never got the chance
to kiss Liz Taylor.



5. At two separate concert venues within 
a 24-hour period my production team

interviewed British New Wave vocal trio 
The Thompson Twins and
glam/heavy metal
rockers Kiss. I also met and had drinks with
Canadian David Clayton-Thomas, lead
vocalist of Blood Sweat and Tears.

6. I played the role of a surgeon in a TV
commercial for an electronics repair shop
and "operated" on the Admiral...a "sick"
television set.


7. When the host called in sick, I was asked
to fill in for him and emcee a live television
segment devoted to farming. The topic was
the annual State Farm Show and I had to
interview a farmer about his prize winning
steer. He just happened to bring the giant
beast with him into the studio! I knew
absolutely nothing about farming and the
only thing I knew about cows was what 
I learned from watching commercials for

Borden's ice cream. It was a whole lotta 
bull but somehow I muddled through
the ten minute Q and A session without
looking and sounding like a complete idiot.
I guess you could say that was the day that
I learned how to tap dance!


Now, I would like to give the Blog With Substance award
to five wonderful blog friends who have not received awards from me in the past.

They are:

1. Cindy at Cindy Ellison

2. LyDe at Quit Yer Blatherin'

3. Ashton at Journalistic Musings

4. Leanne Elizabeth Manning at Ramble On.

5. PencilGirl at Conquering the World.

Thank you very much Gingeyginge, Kelly-marie, PencilGirl and Thisisme for your generosity and encouragement. Please visit and support Thisisme's blog Southhamsdarling, PencilGirl's blog Conquering the World, Kelly-marie's blog A Harem of Peacocks and Gingey's blog The Adventures of Gingeyginge.

Have a Shady day!

25 comments:

  1. You certainly had some interesting experiences along your life's journey my friend. I would love to have seen you operating on that Admiral TV. That would have been great. Congratulations on all the awards. As Annah would say, your Famosity is getting bigger my friend. Have a great friday and a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Odie - I don't need fortune or famosity as long as I have great friends like you! Thanks so much for reporting in and have a fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats Shady!!! wow!! youre a celebrity!! :D and hanging out with cows too!!! glad you didnt end up with holey pants when you ended up at the dance finally!!! ( or did you!)

    thank you so much for this award! i am very glad to have a blogger buddy like you! i truly enjoy your blog and all the wonderful music that you dig up , that i have never heard before!!
    you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, LyDe! - When I crashed my dad's car my jacket was in the back seat where most of the battery acid spilled. However, I also got hit with some acid up front in the driver's seat and it ate through my shirt and pants and burned my skin. Luckly it wasn't serious and I was otherwise unhurt. I didn't get to the Dell that evening. I rode back home in a police cruiser! LyDe, your sweet compliments mean a great deal to me. Thank you very much. Enjoy your award and have a wonderful weekend, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I never knew you were such a celeb! :D Keep rocking! :)
    And thanks for the award!! :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. PencilGirl - You are very welcome, dear friend! Yours is a blog of substance and it is always a pleasure to read it. Have a super weekend, P-Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A good morning to you, Shady Del! Such a sweet surprize this morning, thank you so much for the Blogger with Substance Award. I have picked it up and it is proudly displayed on my blog with a link back to you! Today I will get started on my list of seven little known facts for my blog.

    Your facts were most interesting. I have no doubt with your writing skills you did perfectly well with the "steer in the studio" interview! Hilarious! Wonder if you could find a YouTube of you in the Admiral commercial, that's so funny. That was a great role in Suddenly Last Summer, love that movie and Montgomery Clift. Also loved A Place in the Sun. I know your mom must have panicked with the bus mixup in your childhood. That had to have a permanent spot in the Knight family lore!

    Thanks for sharing stories from your life!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the award, and for sharing some interesting aspects of your life.

    I'm not sure how much substance my blog offers, but thank you for the confidence!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cindy - I'm glad you enjoyed my anecdotes. I wrote that TV commercial and still laugh about it myself. I hired an actress to play an older woman and the 60 second spot began with her sitting in the waiting room while the surgeon (me) operated on The Admiral in another room. She clutched her hanky, sniffed back tears and said: "The Admiral and I have been together so many years. I don't know what I'd do without the Admiral!" The surgeon came out to the waiting room and, with a grim face, announced that he had to perform a tubular transplant! (LOL) It just might have been the low point of my career! Thank you for coming over, Cindy, and enjoy your award, my dear friend!

    Ashton - Surely you jest! The Blog With Substance Award should have your picture on it! Your blog is ripped from the daily news headlines and I am always tuned in to what's on your mind. Thank you for coming by, enjoy your richly deserved award, and have a fine weekend, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I laughed at those first three facts that you listed. Thank goodness they weren't really true!! I can always rely on you to make me smile dear Shady. Thank you so much for your comment on my blog today. So many Awards! You deserve every one of them. Your Blog is absolutely unique. That poor safari jacket! Those 7 facts were really interesting, and I think you have led a very full and varied life my friend. I am pleased to say that I am gradually getting back to normal. Have a really good weekend my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thisisme - I am very happy to see your smiling face here in my comments section! You have me spoiled because if I don't get my daily dose of Thisisme I assume that something's wrong. Hang in there, dear friend, spring is on the way. Thank you again for your generosity in giving me these awards and for the blessing of your friendship. Enjoy a safe, healthy and happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a little disappointed I can't catch you in Vegas taming a lion!

    I enjoyed reading all these interesting facts about your life. You are a bit of a mystery as your blog is mostly about music. I would love to have seen you act in college. And the Admiral TV ad sounds quite inspired! I think it must have been pretty funny. You are a great guy and it is fun being your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Belle - Those wonderful words of yours made me all verklempt. I can say the very same about you. I think you're the greatest and I'm proud to have you as a friend. Take care and have a safe and happy weekend, dear Belle!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A nude lion tamer...that must have been quite the sight to see for the audience and the lions. hehe Have a great weekend Shady and congrats on your awards, you deserve them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amber Blue Bird - It's true! My nude lion taming act made eyes pop. Imagine - the lions were not wearing a stitch of clothing! (LOL) Thank you for coming over for a visit, dear friend, and for your kind compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats Shady!!
    Must say you have some fascinating life experiences~ wow, quite inspiring I must say!!

    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lenore - Look who's talking! You also have a fascinating life along with an expertly produced blog that I love to follow. Thank you for visiting and for your kind remarks, my dear friend. Have a super Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Haha! I love hearing these stories! Thanks for sharing these experiences with us, sounds like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Emma - Hello, my Irish friend! It makes me very happy to know that you have come calling. I'm glad you enjoyed reading some of the facts and fiction about my life. I promise that more vintage music is on the way very soon. Have a splendid evening in Dublin, Emma, and please come back soon. Your comments are always welcome and appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Shady, I cant express how thankful I am for your support. It means the world to me, especially right now. Congratulations on the awards, you definitely deserve them. And it looks like I have have lots of good music to catch up on. Thank you, thank you for being so great.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Alabee, I am very glad to find a comment from you but at the same time I am torn up inside because I know that you are dealing with something major in your life. I wish I knew what it was and I wish that I could help. I'm a real friend, not the click-on variety. I beg you, please don't go away. Please stay engaged with your network of friends. We will all do our best to pull you through. My thoughts and prayers are with you, Alabee!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much for this humble and wonderful award. I shall display it proudly right away!

    I'm happy you also received the well deserved award =)

    Hope your well
    Leanne ♥

    ReplyDelete
  23. Leanne - Thank you for coming by to pick up your award. Your blog, Ramble On, is both asthetically pleasing and very much a blog of substance. Have an excellent week, my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  24. congratulations dear!!
    your n.3 sentence remembers me that when i was at elementary school my mats teacher always confused me with another girl: i really don't know why since we're very different and also our names!
    by the way thanks for your nice comment
    xxxxx
    *K*

    ReplyDelete
  25. Katia - I don't know how your teacher could have confused you with someone else. There is only one Katia in the whole wide world! Thank you very much for coming over and for your lovely comment, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete

You talkin' to me?