CLOSE YOUR EYES. TAKE A DEEP BREATH. OPEN YOUR HEART.

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR
High School Yearbook Photo

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight
HELLO STRANGER ... IT SEEMS LIKE A MIGHTY LONG TIME!

Friday, February 4, 2011

--- Now Playing at the Shady Dell --- Jukebox Giants of February 1966

xxx
Can you believe that January is already
behind us?  It might seem far in the future
but 1967 will be here before you know it.

It's time to take another peek inside the Dell jukebox to find out what's on the musical menu for the month of February. Slowly but surely silly love songs are being replaced by more serious ones and folk rock aimed at the thinking man is being played nearly as often as Motown dance classics.

Experience the look and sound
of young America!

___________________________________________________

New, Hot and Hitbound:

"Shake Me, Wake Me (When It’s Over)" – Four Tops



"My Baby Loves Me" – Martha & The Vandellas



"Woman" - Peter & Gordon



"Homeward Bound" – Simon & Garfunkel



"Love Makes The World Go Round" – Deon Jackson


___________________________________________________

Old Dell Gold:
(Records from past weeks, months and years
that have maintained their popularity)

"Peace Of Mind" – Magnificent Men (January ’66)

"All Your Lovin’s Gone To My Head" – Magnificent Men
(January ’66)

 
"It’s My Life" – Animals (November ’65)


"Night Time" – Strangeloves (January ’66)



"Don’t Mess With Bill" – Marvelettes (January ’66)

"California Dreamin’" – Mamas & Papas (January ’66)

"Ebb Tide" – Righteous Brothers (December ‘65)

"Going To A Go-Go" – Miracles (January ‘66)

"Cleo’s Mood" – Jr. Walker & The All Stars (January ’66)

"Lightnin’ Strikes" – Lou Christie (January ’66)


"Jenny Take A Ride" – Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels
(December ‘65)

 
"Agent Double-O Soul" – Edwin Starr (August ’65)



"Big City Lights" – Sam The Sham & The Pharaohs
(August ’65)


"Close Your Eyes" – Five Keys (March ’55)

"Everybody’s Gotta Lose Someday" – Del-Chords
aka Del-Cords) (December ’64)

 
"Something About You" – Four Tops (November ’65)

"Human" – Tommy Hunt (September ’61)

"My Girl" – Temptations (January ’65)


"Don’t Look Back" – Temptations (November ’65)



"Two People In The World" – Little Anthony &
The Imperials (August ’58)

"I’m A Happy Man" – Jive Five (August ’65)
___________________________________________________

Big changes are coming to the old jukebox next month.

It's March Madness Shady Dell style!


Which of these songs will still be around and which ones
will be given their pink slips?



You have
one month
to speculate
but remember,
ladies & gentlemen,
this is only
an exhibition,
this is not
a competition;
so please --
no wagering!






Have a Shady day!

17 comments:

  1. Great song choices here! It's so good to hear all of these songs again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gawgus things - I'm glad you found something to like in this set of songs. Stay tuned as the historic Shady Dell's jukebox lineup changes month by month throughout the mid 60's. Thank you very much for stopping by and have a lovely weekend in Paris, my good friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, it's lovely to be transported back in time on this very dreary day here in England, dear Shady! Good pick of the pops as usual. My favourites here would have to be Woman by Peter & Gordon, Homeward Bound by Simon & Garfunkel and California Dreamin' by The Mamas & Papas (all that flower power! Groovy baby!!). I think those three would certainly still be around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can always count on you to entertain me with memories and sounds that brighten my day. Another great one and I really appreciate all the work you put into your posts. First class all the way. Have a great weekend.
    Odie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thisisme - I never get tired of listening to Brit pop, flower power anthems, sunshine pop and folk rock songs like these. Thank you for visiting, dear Thisisme. I hope the weather improves there in Devonshire. If the sun don't come you get a tan from standing in the English rain!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Odie! I hope the snow melts away in the Carolinas so that you and Rocky can take a weekend walk together. Thanks for your comment and take care, my good friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely way to start a Saturday morning- Deon Jackson, Edwin Starr, Simon & Garfunkel... Simply marvelous. I can't wait for March madness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Alabee! I'm glad my song selections made your day a little better. Your comments always make my day, dear friend. I hereby dedicate March Madness to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lot of great songs. I haven't heard "Woman" since forever. Night Time was fun. "I wanna be..with you....in the night time." Very cool. Agent Double O Soul kills me, I always loved it.
    I think California Dreamin and Homeward Bound have stood the test of time.
    I looked up bustin out of that L-7 square. Interesting, but I still don't get it! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Belle - As you probably noted the words are used in a Rick James song. I like the phrase and used it here in a different context in reference to the square jukebox. I'm glad you liked my tunes, dear friend Belle, and I hope you have a super (bowl) Sunday in B.C.!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Belle - Sometimes I write things for my own amusement. That's okay unless you the reader can't understand it. It means a lot to me that you took the time to carefully read every word of my post and even more time to look up that phrase. I realize my choice of words led to confusion so I went ahead and changed that sentence. It's a 22-part series and sometimes I go too far in trying to find different ways of saying the same thing every month. Thank you for being such a loyal follower and friend and calling that to my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, don't worry Shady, it's fine. My daughter is having people over for the Super Bowl tomorrow. We are having some kind of betting going on. Since my sister Liz is an expert on football, I am going to call her and get her advice. I'll let you know if I win!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Belle - I'm going to skip the Super Bowl and watch The Adventures of Heidi! Thank you very much, kind friend, and I do hope you win!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for stopping by...Have yourself a wonderful week dear friend...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved this step back in time. In 1966 I lived in France and I was well...six years old. But, I have always enjoyed the music of the 60's. Hugs my bloggy friend and Thank you for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You too, Gingey! Thank you so much!

    I would also take this opportunity to acknowledge the passing yesterday of Tura Satana, the actress who starred as Varla in Russ Meyer's genre classic Faster Pussycat, KILL! KILL! It is one of my favorite movies and she was a force to be reckoned with. You can see Tura in action as Varla in the music video "Don't Change That Song" by Faster Pussycat.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miL0b9qaWBE

    R.I.P. Tura Satana.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Katie - Hugs to you as well! Thank you for stopping by. I'm making a late new year's resolution to stay in touch with you more often, my good friend!

    ReplyDelete

You talkin' to me?