CLOSE YOUR EYES. TAKE A DEEP BREATH. OPEN YOUR HEART.

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR
High School Yearbook Photo

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight
HELLO STRANGER ... IT SEEMS LIKE A MIGHTY LONG TIME!

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Cool Covers & Jarring Juxtapositions!... Can Pete Best the Beatles?...or Does the Girls' "Boys" Beat the Boys' "Boys"?

xxx
During the 1950's and early 60's,

it wasn't unusual for a hit song to

remain on the record chart for

several months.

"Will You Love Me Tomorrow" by the Shirelles is one example.

The girl group classic entered the Billboard Hot 100 at the end of November 1960 and soared to number one by the
end of January 1961. Overall, the single enjoyed an impressive 19 week ride on the chart!

It's very likely that record buyers who picked up the Shirelles single were surprised to discover that they got two hits for the price of one.

"Boys," the song on the flip side, turned out to be a genuine killer bee!



"Will You Love Me Tomorrow" and "Boys" were both included

on the Shirelles' debut album, "Tonight's the Night," released in 1961.

A couple of years later, the Beatles revealed their American R&B influences when they recorded a rollicking cover version of "Boys" and made it one of the tracks on their "Please Please Me" album. Sing it, Ringo, one time for me!



To avoid comparing apples with oranges, here is the Beatles' studio version of "Boys."



In 1966, Peter "Pete" Best, the Beatles' pre-Ringo drummer, did his Best Ringo thingo and recorded his own rendition of "Boys."

The Best effort was released as a single backed with
"Kansas City."

Best's "Boys" recently became available on compact disc when Cameo-Parkway Records finally emptied its vaults and released its catalog on a 4-CD box set. Can Pete Best the Beatles and Shirelles? You be the judge!



"Boys" has always been one of my favorite songs and that Pete Best version is none too shabby! After repeated listens it has really grown on me. In fact, all three versions are so good that I'm having trouble declaring a winner in this battle of the "Boys." Can you help me break the three-way tie? Which version of "Boys" do you prefer?

Now let's bring our Battle of the "Boys" to an end in fine fashion with this animated memory maker featuring the Liverpoolian Moptops!



Boy oh boy oh boy!

Have a Shady day!

21 comments:

  1. I never realized how many people latched onto one song like "Boys". It was great hearing the different ones do it. Great post my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Odie - I think it's also unusual for multiple artists to release excellent renditions of the same song. Thanks for your comment, good buddy, and have a great day up in Carolina!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a hard one. I like Pete Best's voice better than Ringo's, but John, Paul and George sing a much, much better background. I like the Shirell's recording - it is quite a bit different than the other two. But I guess I would say I like the Beatle's rendition the best (big surprise)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Belle - Okay, we have one vote for the Beatles version of the song, no votes for the Shirelles, no votes for Pete Best, and none for Shady Del singing it in the shower! (LOL) Thank you very much for coming by, dear friend Belle, and have a fine day up Canada way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually like the original of any song with a few exceptions. This is one of the exceptions and I will vote for the Beatles.

    Jerre

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved The Shirelles Version and, in fact, I have it on my juke box. The Beatles version also takes a bit of beating, of course!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jerre - Just so I'm clear. Do you prefer the live Beatles, the studio Beatles or the cartoon Beatles? (LOL) Thanks for casting your vote, Jerre, and have a very Shady day!

    Thisisme - Thank you for coming by even though you're under the weather. It means a lot to me! I will register one vote for the Shirelles in your name. Please take good care of yourself, dear friend. I hope you will soon be singing "Here Comes the Sun."

    The score thus far:
    2 votes for the Beatles
    1 vote for the Shirelles
    0 votes for Pete Best
    0 votes for Shady in the shower
    1 abstention (Odie)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's The Shirelles for me every time.

    Shady I have awarded you a 'Stylish Blogger award'

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kelly-marie - Thank you very much for giving me the Stylish Blogger award! It means a lot coming from someone who has such a stylish blog of her own! Your friendship and generosity are greatly appreciated, dear friend Kelly-marie, and I will add your vote for the Shirelles to the ballot box!

    Beatles: 2
    Shirelles: 2
    Pete Best: 0

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh what a fantastic post Shady! I have loved the song "Boys" ever since I bought The Beatles "Baby It's You" when I was a little girl. I'd heard the Shirelles version, but never Pete Best. That was exciting to hear! I do like his voice, so I'll vote for him. But I sure wish I could have heard your shower version!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think your going to be suprised by my choice =P...THE BEATLES everytime! I love 'Please, Please Me', a stunning album. The Beatles have done so many great cover songs that have excelled the original in my opinion, take 'Baby It's You' and 'Please Mister Postman' for example. You know it makes sense.


    Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hear ye, hear ye! The great state of Alabee casts her one vote for Pete Best! Very good, Alabee! I have really grown to like the Pete Best rendition, too. Seems the more often you listen the more you like it, just like Shady's shower singing. (LOL) Thank you so very much, dear Alabee, for dropping in to see what condition my condition is in. Have a wonderful evening out on the coast and please hug those pooches for me!

    Leanne, your vote comes as no surprise and I totally agree that the Beatles covered like no other. Their "Twist and Shout" would be another example of a song that I like just as much or more than the Isleys' original. Thank you, Leanne, for checking out this Beatles post and for making your vote count. Good night to you in Liverpool, my dear friend!

    Beatles:3
    Shirelles: 2
    Pete Best: 1
    Shady in the shower: 1 vote in absentia!

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a wonderful place to be able to visit! i loved the shirelles, too. my siblings are older so i got to listen to their music as i was growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well hello, Teresa! How are things in Kansas? Welcome to SDM&M! I'm so glad you took a look around and left a comment. I will count it as a vote for the Shirelles. I noticed on your blog's followers roster that we share a couple of mutual friends so please don't be a stranger. Come back again soon!

    Beatles: 3
    Shirelles: 3
    Pete Best: 1

    ReplyDelete
  15. "Boys" sure brought back fond memories of the Dragon's Den (our Shady Dell) in Clinton, Tennessee! It was close but I'm gonna have to vote for the Beatles ... the live version.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, Cindy! Welcome to Shady Dell Music & Memories and thank you very much for becoming a new follower. Until recently I assumed that everybody had a place like the Shady Dell or Dragon's Den to hang out and dance when they were young. It surprised me to learn how many people simply did not. Thanks again for joining the fun, Cindy, and I hope you will become a regular visitor. Your vote has been counted and here's how the race stands at this point:

    Beatles: 4
    Shirelles: 3
    Pete Best: 1

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very interesting blog:-)
    I send greetings
    www.retrostyl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Retrostyl - Hello and welcome! It makes me very happy to know that you visited my blog and found something to like. You have a wonderful blog of your own and I love your choice of retro style fashions. Please come back again soon. Your comments are welcome and appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  19. you just cant go wrong with the Beatles, i could just watch them play live and swoon for hours. Oh and I am glad you liked the Civil Wars and thanks for the music recommendation :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amber Blue Bird - I'm weak in the knees for The Civil Wars! Thanks! Since you are weak in the knees for the Liverpoolian Moptops, I will register one more vote for the Beatles. Thank you very much for coming over, ABB, and have a warm night in frosty Connecticut.

    Beatles: 5
    Shirelles: 3
    Pete Best: 1
    Disco Tex & the Sex-O-Lettes: 0

    ReplyDelete
  21. Pete Best for ever

    ReplyDelete

You talkin' to me?