CLOSE YOUR EYES. TAKE A DEEP BREATH. OPEN YOUR HEART.

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR
High School Yearbook Photo

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight
HELLO STRANGER ... IT SEEMS LIKE A MIGHTY LONG TIME!

Monday, January 10, 2011

Wanilianna's Ten Best Songs...Ever!

xxx
"In Poland now is snow -
lots of snow," Wanilianna wrote.


"I love listening to The Beatles
while driving the car traversing
the endless white landscape."

"There is
no better
longplay than
Abbey Road.

Every single

song just
makes my
heart sing."

Wanilianna, my dear friend and loyal blog follower in Poland replied to my recent countdown of The Ten Most Exciting Records... Ever! Wanilianna responded by submitting her own list of the
Ten Best Songs...Ever!

Wanilianna, a connoisseur of the arts, gifted model
in the modern retro category, and preservationist of vintage 1940's and 50's fashion and glamour, operates Wanilianna Old Fashion Girl, an intelligently written and beautifully illustrated blog filled with nostalgia, art history, movie reviews, and high quality color and black and white photography.

Let's find out which songs Wanilianna considers to be

The Ten Best ...Ever!

1. "Belle" - Notre-Dame de Paris
(1998 French-Canadian musical
based on Victor Hugo's
The Hunchback of Notre-Dame)



2. "My Way" - Frank Sinatra
(April 1969)

3. "For No One" - The Beatles
(August 1966)

4. "One" - U2 (November 1991)



5. "Shine on you Crazy Diamond"
- Pink Floyd (original September 1975)




6. "Golden Slumbers"/"Carry that
Weight"/ "The End" - The Beatles
(October 1969)

7. "The End" - The Doors
(January 1967)



8. "Total Eclipse of the Heart"
- Bonnie Tyler (September 1983)

9. "Civil War" - Guns N' Roses (1990)



10. "Memory" - Cats (musical, 1981)



Thank you very much, Wanilianna, for sending in your list of Best Songs...Ever! I appreciated the opportunity to listen
to music that is important to you. In doing so, it has also become important to me.

I was unfamiliar with several of the songs
on Wahilianna's list. Watching the videos was time well spent because they touched my heart. Wanilianna's song list reveals a lot about her. These empowering, life affirming, humanitarian opuses suggest that Wanilianna is intellectual, compassionate, tolerant and peace loving.

You see, Dell rats, there's
a lesson to be learned here.
Most of the time we have it backwards. Look at all the blogs and social networking sites that play send in the clones. They are set up to bring together people with common interests - people who are as much alike as possible. It might make you feel safe and comfortable to be surrounded by carbon copies of yourself but where's the learning potential? We often hesitate to try something new (like somebody else's music) because we convince ourselves ahead of time that we aren't going to like it. We tend to shy away from new people just because they live in a different country, are of a different race, religion or political persuasion, or because they are significantly older or younger. Isn't it infinitely more fascinating to meet and get to know someone who is completely different from ourselves and learn something
new from them? Give people a chance. Give their stuff a try. More often than not you will find value in it and their stuff becomes your stuff, too. You learn. You grow. You connect. You find common ground. That's what life is all about. That's what works in this world we share.

"You don't fight hate...

You kill it with kindness

and love it to death."

- Shady Del Knight 


"limitless undying love

which shines around me

like a million suns"

Did anybody ever write

a better line? - Wanilianna

Who's next?
If you have a Top Tunes list I'd love to see it. I would find it fascinating to discover which songs meant the most to you in your youth or which ones resonate now in the present. Why not do what Wanilianna did? Make a list, submit it in
the form of a comment, and I'll get it posted.

Have a Shady day!

32 comments:

  1. Well, it's an honour and pleasure to be a subject of the post on your blog. I'll recommend it to my followers on blog and facebook fansite. Thank you so much:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Shady!
    Love your quote!!
    Fear is definitely the opposite of love, yes? Have a wonderful new week~

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wanilianna - It is my pleasure to salute you and your favorite songs, my dear friend! Bless you!

    Lenore - You are wise way beyond your years and that's what attracts me to your wonderful site. Thank you for swinging by and imparting some of that wisdom, my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shady. wanilianna has certainly chosen some good song choices there. I absolutely love Total Eclipse of The Heart, and Memory from Cats. Also all the Beatles songs of course. I am going to pop right on over to her Blog to read some more about her. I so agree with your comment about giving people a chance. First impressions can sometimes turn out to be SO wrong, and we can only learn if we open up our minds to new people, new music and new experiences. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome post today and what a treat to see her favorite top 10. They do bring back some special memories. Have a great week.
    Odie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me again! Thank you for leaving that comment on my blog post, and I'm glad that I don't have to come up with the list again!! Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thisisme - From reading your blog on a daily basis I know that wisdom is one of your strong suits. All we are saying is give peace (and people) a chance. Thank you very much for your comments and stay tuned for Thisisme's Greatest Hits!

    Odie - Thank you, kind sir! You've been knocking them out of the park with your recent blog posts and I've enjoyed them tremendously. I hope the snow and ice storm isn't too much of a problem for you and I wish you a great week as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hello again sir, thank for the nice comment today. Actually Love Story is one of my favorite films. I named my pup Oliver after the main character. The fact that you in any way think I resemble Miss Ali is a huge compliment and much appreciated. I will have to make my own top ten list and submit it...its on my list of things to do!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great song list Wanilianna! Of course I like the song named after me the best! The songs you chose have great meaning.

    Shady - The top ten list I gave you was only for the years 1968-1969. I thought that was what your post asked for - sorry. Can I send you another list somehow. All time favorites; that's a lot different. Or did I send you one of those too earlier? Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wanilianna is a really great model. Now I know she has also good taste in music.
    I like your blog, I think I'll follow it.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amber Blue Bird - You do not have to call me "sir." Please feel free to call me "your royal majesty." (LOL) Well, I'm so glad you are already familiar with Love Story, one of my favorite movies, and are willing to accept as a compliment the fact that you bear a striking resemblance to young Ali MacGraw (on her best day). I urge you to see Ali paired with Steve McQueen in The Getaway, another of my faves. I would love to see your song list whenever you care to submit one! Thank you for your comment, Amber!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Belle - Yes, by all means! The top 10 list that you sent me contained songs from 1966 and 1967. I will send that list to your blog in the form of a comment so that you can see what is on it. I have your list ready to publish soon, so to save me from having to do it over, why don't you put together a separate list of all time favorites other than the ones you already submitted and I will publish that second list as soon as possible? Fair enough? Thanks so much for participating! At this rate I won't have time to post reruns! (LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lady in Black - Welcome to Shady Dell Music & Memories and thank you very much for choosing to become a follower. I'm following you right back. I hope you will visit often and find much to like here!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved this post, Tom!
    Thanks for all of your advice and kind words :) <3 You're the nicest person I know on Blogspot!! It really gave me a confidence boost and I just paid for a course in Egyptian Art and Life :D

    So I can't thank you enough.

    Lots of love, Shell xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Shell - I am humbled by your kind and generous remarks! I couldn't be happier knowing that you have positive energy and enthusiasm working for you once again. I've a feeling you'll be unstoppable! Thank you very much for coming by and please come again soon, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The "Getaway", "The Wild Bunch" and "Bring me the head of Alfredo Garcia" are my favourite Peckinpah`s movies :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wanilianna - I'm glad you pay attention to my comments section. That's very flattering and the mark of a true friend! When we're done posting song lists, maybe we can move on to movie lists! Good idea, yes? The Getaway blows me away every time I watch it. The gripping suspense, the over-the-top slow motion car stunts and gun violence, the scene at the landfill, Sally Struthers playing with bad guy Rudy's pistol! (LOL) It's just a brilliant film! I'm glad you like it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ten best songs...ever. Wow that could be a difficult one for me, I will however give it much thought and perhaps feature it on my blog soon. What a wonderful idea!

    Hope life is treating you as kindly as yourself.


    Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  19. Leanne - Blessed with wonderful friends like you, life is treating me very well indeed! Thank you for visiting and for your delightful comment, dear Liverpool lady!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well hello there! I found you through thisisme and I am enjoying your blog! I am following you and look forward to your posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. mskanorado - Welcome to SDM&M! Any friend of Thisisme's is a friend of mine! I see that your user name is derived from having lived in Kansas and Colorado and that you have a dog named Wyatt who is pure joy to watch! I am most grateful that you have become my latest follower and I hope you will visit often and share with your new friends here!

    I also want to welcome another new follower, Satori Seki! Thank you both for your support!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for taking the time to drop in on me.Always a pleasure to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gingey - Likewise, I'm sure! You are a delight and I always look forward to your visits. Have a fine evening in the UK, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great post Shady! I don't know if I'd be able to pick just ten songs...tough one.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Alabee - Your adorable dog might feel flattered if you start your list with "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds." Ya think? Thank you very much for coming over for a visit and have a wonderful night in California, dear Alabee!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Shady- I have my list done.
    1.Smoke Gets In Your Eyes - Platters.
    2.Hallelujah - K.D.Lang
    3.What A Wonderful World. Louis Armstrong
    4.Ruby - Ray Charles
    5.All the Way - Frank Sinatra
    6.Love Theme from The Titanic - Celine Dion.
    7.I Want It That Way - Backstreet Boys
    8.Your Song - Elton John]
    9.Pretty Woman - Roy Orbison
    10.Let It Be - The Beatles

    ReplyDelete
  27. Belle - Got it, dear friend! Thanks for assembling another killer kountdown. Look for it on the front page in the near future. You're the best, Belle!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am, again, so inspired by your wisdom, Shady!! Thanks for this, and for Wanilianna's list. I have some studying to do!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Joan, thank you very much for what you wrote here and especially what you expressed on your own blog. You are a very wise woman, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  30. nice post,i love Total Eclipse of The Heart too
    have a nice week end
    xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete

You talkin' to me?