CLOSE YOUR EYES. TAKE A DEEP BREATH. OPEN YOUR HEART.

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR
High School Yearbook Photo

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight
HELLO STRANGER ... IT SEEMS LIKE A MIGHTY LONG TIME!

Thursday, January 13, 2011

SHOCK HAZARD! Doo-Wopper Dell Rat Pegs Excitement Meter with Faves List Featuring Prog Rock/Hard Rock Anthems!

xxx
Our good friend
and original late
50's/ early 60's
Dell rat Jerre
Slaybaugh has
responded to the
song list sent in by Wanilianna.  Jerre submitted
his list of the
20 Most Exciting
Songs...Ever!  

I was kinda hoping to find "Tiptoe Thru the Tulips" on Jerre's list...but no such luck!  Jerre emphasizes that these are not to be confused with his favorite Dell songs which were revealed in a previous post.

Drum roll!

Curtain's going up!

Time to unveil Dell Rat Jerre's 

20 Most Exciting Songs...Ever!

1. "Bat Out of Hell" – Meat Loaf (1977) 



2. "It’s a Heartache" – Bonnie Tyler (1977)



3. "Shout" – Isley Brothers (October 1959)


4. "No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature"
– Guess Who (January 1970)



5. "Locomotive Breath" – Jethro Tull
(April 1971)



6. "Born to Be Wild" – Steppenwolf
(August 1968)

7. "Eli's Coming" – Three Dog Night
(December 1969)



8. "I Remember You" – Skid Row (1990)



9. "I Love You" – Volumes (May 1962)

10. "Hush" – Deep Purple (Sept. 1968/
video from live appearance on Playboy

After Dark in October 1968)



11. "Everyday" – Buddy Holly (January 1958)


12. "We've Got a Groovey Thing Goin'" – Simon & Garfunkel (January 1966)



13. "Easy Livin'" – Uriah Heep
(January 1972)



14. "Somebody To Love" – Jefferson Airplane (May 1967)


15. "Beth"– Kiss (1976/scene from 1978 TV Movie Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park)



16. "Positively 4th Street" – Bob Dylan
(November 1965)

 
17. "Sunday Mornin Comin Down" –
Kris Kristoffenson (1970)

 
18. "Sometimes When We Touch" –
Dan Hill (1977)


19. "Walk Away" – James Gang (June 1971)



20. "Paint It, Black" - Rolling Stones (June 1966)

Woo-HOO, Jerre!  These aren't your great grandfather's moldy oldies! This is rock of ages. Truth be told it's been decades since I heard some of these progressive rock classics! 



It was positively surreal watching Deep Purple performing "Hush" live to tape on Playboy After Dark. I was expecting Hef to jump up any second and holler "This is MY happening and it freaks me out!"




I'm sure Jerre agrees that in addition to "Walk Away,"
Joe Walsh and his James Gang also rocked on that Rides Again album with tracks like "Funk #49," "Woman" and "The Bomber."




Kiss Meets the Phanton of the Park is my second favorite movie of all time, right behind Gone With the Wind.
The tender hit ballad "Beth" sung by Peter contrasts sharply with the chant of the evil Kiss clone band admonishing the concert crowd to "RIP RIP...RIP AND DESTROY!"
Ballad or heavy metal thunder...
when it comes to exciting sounds
this Kiss is always on my list!






Thanks again to Dell rat Jerre Slaybaugh for sharing his list
of most exciting songs with us!


Who's next?

If you have a Top Tunes list I'd love to see it.  It would be fascinating to discover which songs meant the most to you in your youth or which ones resonate now in the present. Why not do what Wanilianna and Jerre did? Make a list, submit it in the form of a comment and I'll get it posted.
It can be a list of your favorite songs, the most exciting songs, best songs from a particular time period similar to
my mid 60's Dell survey...anything you like!



COME ON

AND BE 

MY GUEST!



Have a Shady day!

27 comments:

  1. Thank you, Kyt! I'm glad you liked the post and I am delighted to see that you have become my 50th follower! I am most grateful for your support! Please stay close and join the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some I had actually never heard but it sure was fun listening to them. Made my morning. Thanks for the great comment to my blog yesterday. Have a super day.
    Odie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yessir, any time, Odie! Thanks for tuning in and have a wonderful day up there in the frozen north (Carolina).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for doing such a great job with my list. The clips were really great. The Meat Loaf and 3 Dog Night clips brought back many memories. I saw them in concert many times and Meat Loaf again just last year in Hershey. I hope everyone else enjoys the post and thanks for the effort you put into finding all the clips. Jerre

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jerre -I'm glad you liked the workup. Thank you for providing such an exciting list in the first place and for your compliments, my good friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shady - Forgive me! I thought I had commented on your post earlier. Eeeek! I would hate you to think that I'd forgotten you. LOL! That list of tunes was fantastic. Paint it Black by The Stones is a real classic, and I have always loved numbers 2, 11 & 18. Loving these posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will admit, I hadnt heard several of these songs before today! So thanks for these! Hope you are having a fabulous Thursday!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Bonnie Tyler:-) Great post Tom!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thisisme - There's nothing to forgive, dear friend. We all have busy lives and we all forget. We must also remember that none of us should ever feel obligated to comment. There aren't enough hours in a day to post something on every friend's blog. At any rate it is always nice when you visit and your comments are always very much appreciated!

    mskanorado - I am having a wonderful Thursday, thank you! How's your precious pup Wyatt? I am glad you gave some of these songs a listen even if you weren't familiar with them. That's how you stretch, learn and grow. Thank you for stopping by, my new friend!

    Wanilianna - All of the women seem to love Bonnie Tyler. Interesting how she thought she had ruined her singing voice when it turned raspy like Rod Stewart's but, like his vocal instrument, her new voice actually gave her career a big boost! Thank you so much for your comment, special friend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never heard Meatloaf before. That was an amazing song and a fantastic voice. My sister, Liz, loved him.
    Excellent songs. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Belle - Meatloaf is an acquired taste! I'm glad you gave him a whirl and found value in his music. That's the name of the game here. Thank you for your comment, dear friend Belle!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shady,
    I must admit, when I was much younger, I was so scarred of KIZZ!

    ~Have a great evening!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My favorite band is the Pixies. They are amazing and influenced so many so called "grunge" bands. I recommend that you listen to their song "debaser" or "bone maichine". I also really like Joy Division. In rap, I recommend De La Soul and EPMD.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lenore - Were you scared of Kiss during their original makeup phase,their unmasked years w/o makeup, their second makeup phase, or all of the above? What specifically about them scared you? The loud rock music? The costumes? The fire breathing? The blood spitting? Gene's tongue? So glad you stopped by and have a wonderful night, dear Lenore!

    Israel - Great bands, great recommendations and great advice, my funny friend. Thanks for your visit and take care out there on the west coast, buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Tom,

    First I want to thank you so much for your earlier mention, and I am sorry that I have not seen it sooner! It's great to be back in the blogosphere and to return to your blog! Great videos, as usual, always finding things for us to enjoy that many of us would not typically find search for ourselves

    Hope you had a lovely holiday season!

    Kinds regards
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello again Val! I'm glad to see you back in action from your holiday break. Thank you very much for coming over for a visit. I look forward to following your thought provoking blog in the coming year and to solidifying our friendship. I deeply appreciate your support of my blogging efforts. I notice that it's nearly 1am in Sydney so I will bid you a good night, dear friend Val!

    ReplyDelete
  17. another great listing of tunes. I had never heard a few of these songs so it was nice to get to know some new (old) bands :) I am going to try to get my list together this weekend, its so hard only picking 20 though!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, Amber Blue Bird! Thank you for your interest in Shady Del's "Be My Guest" program. I look forward to receiving your song list. However, it doesn't have to be 20 songs. Wanilianna listed 10 songs. Jerre chose to list 20. The list can be any length at all. Thank you very much for dropping by and please come again soon, dear A.B.B.!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Shady, your enthusiasm for life infects me, and whenever I visit your blog I come away feeling so jolly!

    ReplyDelete
  20. And PS. I am so happy to be friends with you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Alabee - Kinder words were never written! If my enthusiasm for life rubs off on you it is a very good thing indeed because your life is important. The world could use a few more like you.

    and P.S. -

    I don't want to fake you out
    Take or shake or forsake you out
    I ain't lookin' for you to feel like me
    See like me or be like me
    All I really want to do
    Is, baby, be friends with you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love Simon and Garfunkel, but I have never heard this one. I knew a few on the list though! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Karen (puppykisses) - "Groovey (correct spelling) Thing Goin'" was a track on the S&G album Sounds of Silence. It was also released on a single as the B side of "The Sounds of Silence." Thank you very much for becoming a follower and welcome to SDM&M!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Shady, I have a retro song list for you - should I post it here, or email it to you?

    Thanks for dropping by and being supportive - I really appreciate all of the comments, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Joanna - Hello! I am very excited about seeing your retro song list. I'll be contacting you shortly. Thank you very much for your comment, new friend Joanna!

    ReplyDelete

You talkin' to me?