CLOSE YOUR EYES. TAKE A DEEP BREATH. OPEN YOUR HEART.

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR
High School Yearbook Photo

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight
HELLO STRANGER ... IT SEEMS LIKE A MIGHTY LONG TIME!

Monday, January 3, 2011

--- Now Playing at the Shady Dell --- Jukebox Giants of January 1966

xxx
Happy New Year, my fellow Dell rats!


As we begin a new year
we are also starting a new chapter in the evolution of Shady Dell Music & Memories. Those of you who lived in Central Pennsylvania and actually frequented the Dell can rest assured that I will
not stray far from the blog's original theme. At the same time I want to extend a warm welcome to the new readers and followers across America and around the world. It matters not that most of you never went to the Dell or even heard of the place before. Young and old from near and far are discovering the universal appeal of good music and good friends. In that respect SDM&M has become very much like the Dell itself. It is a place where people of diverse backgrounds can meet, communicate, have fun, and celebrate all that we have in common. Wondering if you belong here? You were young once, weren't you? Maybe you still are. 'Nuff said. You're in! You're an honorary Dell rat. You are always welcome here!

On with the show!

Our hot tub time machine has whisked us away to the start of 1966. With so much great music on the horizon I have a feeling that '66 will be our greatest year ever!



Everybody 
wants ta

get inta
da act!



Everywhere you look the music scene is exploding: the Motor City, Chi-town, Memphis, NOLA, Muscle Shoals, Frisco, L.A., NYC, Jersey, Philly, Central PA and across the pond.

Step right up and take a peek inside the Dell jukebox.
Let's find out which songs are brand new this month
and which older records are still spinning Dell gold!

Experience the look and sound 
of young America!

___________________________________________________

New, Hot and Hitbound:

"Peace Of Mind" – Magnificent Men



"All Your Lovin’s Gone To My Head" – Magnificent Men



"Night Time" – Strangeloves



"California Dreamin’" – Mamas & Papas



"Don’t Mess With Bill" – Marvelettes



"Going To A Go-Go" – Miracles



"Lightnin’ Strikes" – Lou Christie



"Cleo’s Mood" – Jr. Walker & The All Stars



"My World Is Empty Without You" – Supremes



"Barbara Ann" – Beach Boys


___________________________________________________

Old Dell Gold:
(Records from past weeks, months and years that have maintained their popularity)

"We Can Work It Out" – Beatles (December ’65)

"Day Tripper" - Beatles (December ‘65)


 "Ebb Tide" – Righteous Brothers (December ‘65)

"Jenny Take A Ride" – Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels (December ‘65)

 
"It’s My Life" – Animals (November ’65)

"Something About You" – Four Tops (November ’65)


 "Lies" – Knickerbockers (December ’65)


"Just Like Me" – Paul Revere & The Raiders (December ‘65)

"My Baby" – Temptations (November ’65)

"Don’t Look Back" – Temptations (November ’65)

 
"Uptight (Everything’s Alright)" – Stevie Wonder
(December ‘65)

"Close Your Eyes" – Five Keys (March ’55)

"Everybody’s Gotta Lose Someday" – Del-Chords
aka Del-Cords (December ’64)

"Human" – Tommy Hunt (September ’61)



"Big City Lights" – Sam The Sham & The Pharaohs
(August ’65)

"I’m A Happy Man" – Jive Five (August ’65)

"Agent Double-O Soul" – Edwin Starr (August ’65)

 
"Since I Lost My Baby" – Temptations (August ’65)

"My Girl" – Temptations (January ’65)


"Two People In The World" – Little Anthony & The Imperials (August ’58)
___________________________________________________

Big changes are coming to the jukebox next month and throughout the coming year.

Which of these records will still be hot in February?
Which ones will get booted off?



You have
one month
to speculate
but remember,
ladies & gentlemen,
this is only
an exhibition,
this is not
a competition;
so please --
no wagering!






Have a Shady day!

13 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm going to like this theme, Shady!! So many songs there, with so many memories. Some I haven't heard of for many a year. Lou Christie and Lightnin' Strikes, (loved that one!). California Dreamin' - it was wonderful to hear all those tunes again, so thank you for that dear friend. Bet our friend Belle is going to love this one as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great songs~
    of course Diana Ross is so fabulous!
    Adore her!! Have a wonderful week dear!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thisisme - At age 17 you're far too young to remember these songs! (LOL) Nevertheless, I thank you for listening and reading and for your kind comment. Enjoy your day in Devonshire!

    Lenore - You must be weary after your trip back from Japan, my new best friend. I thank you for taking time to pay me a visit and sample some sights and sounds. May you have a Shady day back in the U.S.A.!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the new theme and you had so much of the wonderful oldies. I really had a ball going through this one . Thanks Tom
    Odie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, Shady, with lots of songs I loved.

    Well, you know I love "California Dreamin'" One of my all time favorites. And I well remember the Hullabaloo show.

    Don't Mess With Bill - Good song, and I remember wearing a bow like that in my hair!

    Goin to a Go-Go - Love the dancing lady; the old man looks like he needs to get laid quickly!

    When I saw "Lightnin' Strikes" and "Cleo's Mood", I didn't remember them until I played the music. Both are great songs.

    I loved every song by the Supremes and the Beach Boys. My hubby loves the Beach Boys. Once when we took our kids to Disneyland, he bought a Beach Boy tape and we listened all the way to California. The girls seemed to like it (minimum of groans from the back seat).

    ReplyDelete
  6. loved this play list but I like all of your play lists. My fave is California Dreamin. I have their greatest hits album and its one of the albums that both me and my mother in law enjoy. Music that brings in laws together is always a good thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Odie - I'm glad you found some toe-tappers in today's post. Month by month I will be presenting the only authentic Shady Dell jukebox lineup ever published. Thanks for joining me and have a super day way up north in the Carolinas!

    Belle - Thisisme called it. She predicted that you would like some of the songs in this batch. If you're fond of the Beach Boys I hope you get a chance to watch the two-part made for TV movie entitled The Beach Boys: An American Family (2000). It is a superb biopic. I loved Shindig, Hullabaloo, Hullabaloo London, Where the Action Is, The T.A.M.I. Show, The Big T.N.T. Show...any and all programs that showcased what was then modern music and the people who made it.

    Amber - I truly beleve you were born too late! I'm not talking about the Civil War era (LOL) but you would have made a fab 60's flower girl. It's interesting to learn which artists and groups from the boomer years resonate with todays teens and twenty-somethings and bring generations together. More often than not it's sunshine pop like that produced so artfully by Mama Cass and her cohorts.

    Thank you all for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome music. I like the brass and those heavy drums in sould music.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, Israel. Tiny Tim can't touch this! (LOL) Thanks for writing from Anaheim, the town that Kiss destroyed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy new year to you too! Im honored to be an honorary Del Rat. Especially if it means that I get to listen to amazing playlists put together by the one and only Shady Del Knight!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alabee - Your comments are sweet and greatly appreciated. I love to identify patterns and trends. I find it fascinating to discover which types of music from the past are being embraced by today's young people, thereby bridging the generation gap. For example, friend Lauren went to a Monkees concert with her mom and enjoyed their brand of 60's bubblegum pop. Amber digs the sunshine pop of the Mamas & Papas. Israel, like Dell vikings of old, is into soul, R&B and funk. Based on artists you have quoted on your site which include Arlo Guthrie, Clapton, Lennon and the Beatles, Hendrix, Neil Young, the Kinks, Bowie, and The Velvet Underground, you prefer intellectual music produced by the great singer/songwriters, folk, folk-rock, blues rock, and UK rock. Thanks for seeking and finding the value, dear friend Alabee!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for stopping by and leaving an adorable comment.Wishing you a wonderful New Year...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gingey- Thank you, my dear friend! Your blog is always a delight to read and your rare photos are second to none. In 2007 I made it a point to watch as many movies as possible that were released before 1960 because I realized that I had a huge blind spot. I got a real education and became familiar with the work of hundreds of actors back to and including the silent era. You are paying tribute to many of them on your fine blog! Thank you again, Gingey, and happy new year to you as well!

    ReplyDelete

You talkin' to me?