CLOSE YOUR EYES. TAKE A DEEP BREATH. OPEN YOUR HEART.

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR
High School Yearbook Photo

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight
HELLO STRANGER ... IT SEEMS LIKE A MIGHTY LONG TIME!

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

So Long Ago.........Was it in a Dream? Was it Just a Dream, John?

XXX
In my last post I gave you the cold facts about the Beatles. I offered examples to explain why I usually associate the lads from Liverpool with the cold weather seasons of the year. There is one cold fact that I wish I could forget - a ghastly event that took place on a cold December night in 1980.

In his epic hit recording, "American Pie," singer/songwriter Don McLean refers to February 3rd, 1959 as “the day the music died.” On that date, rock ‘n roll legend Buddy Holly died in a plane crash along with up-and-coming Latino singing star Ritchie Valens and deejay/recording artist The Big Bopper.

I consider another date, December 8th, 1980, to be the day the music died...again. It has now been 30 years and I am still mourning the loss of John Lennon. The pain, sadness
and bitterness have hardly even begun to subside.

John Lennon was my favorite Beatle. Guys seemed to dig John and George, while the girls liked Paul and the kids and moms liked Ringo.

Following the break-up of the super group, John scored a string of hit recordings as a solo artist. My favorites are “Power To The People,” “#9 Dream,” and “Mind Games.” John's solo work continued to reveal a proclivity for lacing
his compositions with complex, mystifying lyrics, revolutionary and polarizing political convictions, Eastern religious dogma and philosophy, and references to mind expanding drug experiences.

In the early and mid 70's, John was a much sought after A-list celebrity guest on the television talk show circuit. His most memorable appearances were on the more intellectual interview shows of the day like David Frost, Dick Cavett, and Tom Snyder’s late night NBC program, The Tomorrow Show. John always had something interesting to say and a dry wit that kept the host laughing and the audience entertained.

In the late 70's, John withdrew from the public eye to concentrate on his role as a househusband and father. In 1980, John finally emerged from hibernation and returned to the studio where he and wife Yoko produced the comeback album Double Fantasy.

In the prime of his life with the creative juices flowing and the potential to contribute so much more to music and mankind, John Lennon was assassinated on the night of December 8th, 1980 by an attention-starved young man
with a gun.



For millions of people around the world John’s loss was devastating. On that dreadful night, in that moment of insanity, an entire generation lost its voice.



As we pause to mark the grim anniversary of another in a long chain of senseless slayings, let us also remember the life, legacy, and music of John Lennon and the message of hope that he offered the world.



We all shine on
Like the moon and the stars and the sun

30 years and counting, dear John.
On and on and on...on and on...


Love is the answer.  Give peace a chance.
XXX

10 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful tribute to John. I remember the day he died very well, and I mourn his passing. Thank you Shady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i didn't know that "the day the music died" refers to an incident really happened,i remember this song sung by madonna.
    i think john's death is one of the greatest loss for humanity (and not for music alone)along with that of ghandi,for their messages to people and illuminated existence

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, as awesome tribute and hard to think it has been that long. Thanks Shady.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello there. This is a very well written post and I look forward to seeing more from you. Thank you for your comment on my blog today, it was very sweet of you. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sad that I was never alive when he was, because he too is my favorite Beatle. He was an amazing man, and this is a wonderful remembrance. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all very much for your comments on this dark day.

    I also want to extend a warm welcome to my new followers Amber Blue Bird and Reed Quickel. I am grateful for your support and I hope you find a lot to like here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for taking the time to read my tribute to quite simply one of the world's best legends.

    This is also a wondeful tribute and I am definately sure that John was looking down on everyone yesterday and smiling.

    Your tribute brought a most heart felt and powerful message to me, particulary about 'The day the music died'. No words could be more true about yesterday. Thank you for your tribute.

    We will always love you John ♥

    Leanne.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leanne, thank you very much for visiting Shady Dell Music & Memories and for your generous compliments. I hope that you will come back again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a wonderful tribute to John, who died so tragically. I was here in England when the Beatles first started out and saw them perform many times. I have so many favourite songs by John, but I think "Imagine" would have to be one of my favourites. I keep seeing your name on Belle's blog, so thought I would pop on over. Hope you don't mind. I will follow you from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Thisisme! How could I possibly mind your visits? Any friend of Belle is a friend of mine! (LOL) I have seen you around and I welcome you wholeheartedly to SDM&M. I thank you for your comments about John and agree that watching that "Imagine" video sends chills. I hope you will visit me often and that you will find something to smile about, something to laugh about, and something to think about in future posts!

    ReplyDelete

You talkin' to me?