CLOSE YOUR EYES. TAKE A DEEP BREATH. OPEN YOUR HEART.

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR
High School Yearbook Photo

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight
HELLO STRANGER ... IT SEEMS LIKE A MIGHTY LONG TIME!

Monday, November 15, 2010

The Sincerest Form of Flattery, Part 1: Abba, Elvis, and Buddy...not!

It's no secret. I love novelty records and one-hit-wonders. In the interest of full disclosure I am also willing to admit
that my collection is laced with songs by sound-alike artists.

This most certainly includes Stars on 45, the Dutch act that recorded some excellent medleys with
spot-on imitations of the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Stevie Wonder and others.

My favorite Stars on 45 medley is the hard-to-find extended version of their Abba medley. The Stars do a fine job of replicating the sound of John, Paul, George and Ringo, but when they performed as Aggie Faltskog and her Swedish cohorts, it was an iron clad case of identity theft! Watch, listen, and Voulez-Vous!

To me Elvis Presley was inimitable even though he had many imitators. Some, like Conway Twitty, gained popularity in
the late 1950's when Elvis was at his peak of popularity.

"I Need Your Lovin'" - Conway Twitty (May 1957)



"Lonely Blue Boy" - Conway Twitty (March 1960)


A plethora of Elvis imitators came out of the woodwork in 1977 after The King passed away. One of the best known was Ronnie McDowell.

"The King is Gone" - Ronnie McDowell
(August/September 1977)


The first few times that I heard “Suspicion” playing on York's WSBA radio I swore that I was listening to Elvis. With its punchy, brassy arrangement, other-worldly female chorus, and buttery smooth Presleyesque male vocal, "Suspicion"
was an exciting record; but it wasn't Elvis doing the singing.

It was Terry Stafford performing a cover version of a song from the Presley album Pot Luck with Elvis.


Terry Stafford’s “Suspicion” spent 15 weeks on the Billboard chart and peaked at the number 3 position, blocked from the top spot by Beatles songs.

It was a sign of the times. By 1964 even Elvis himself was struggling on the charts. During that first year-and-a-half of Beatlemania, not a single record by Elvis was able to plow its way into the top 10!

Rockabilly superstar Buddy Holly had his life cut short by a tragic plane crash, but during his brief career he influenced countless other musicians. This cool cover by the Bobby
Fuller Four channeled Buddy Holly like nobody else could!

"Love's Made a Fool of You" - Bobby Fuller Four (April 1966)


Please stay tuned. In Part 2 of Sincerest Form of Flattery
I'll present to you my all time favorite sound-alike performer. Trust me...memories are made of this!

Have a Shady day!

13 comments:

  1. Many people prefer the jumpsuit clad, long haired Elvis of the late 60's and early 70's. "The earlier the better," I always say. That's why I prefer the young, rock-a-billy/rock 'n roll Elvis. I also enjoy most of his movies. Thank you very much for your comment, Katia. You're inimitable, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister Chloe adored Elvis. She bought every album, saw every movie. I liked him, but the Beatles were more to my taste. No one could ever sing like Elvis. Ronnie McDowell was close but there is something missing there. I buy and watch Elvis' movies now. My husband and I love them.

    I did love that cute song, "Love's Made a Fool of You." I remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most songs in Elvis movies were throw-aways, especially the quickie flicks he made during the mid 60's. I like them, however, because Elvis teamed up with some of my favorite actresses of the period like Shelley Fabares, Stella Stevens, Ann-Margret, Nancy Sinatra, Mary Ann Mobley and Donna Douglas. Thank you very much for your comment, Belle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Conway Twitty sounds sort of like Elvis but he adds his own twist. I like it. Thanx for the music selection. I was unaware of him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comment, Israel! There's some interesting trivia about Twitty. He was born Harold Lloyd Jenkins. Silent film buffs will get that he was named after comic silent movie actor Harold Lloyd. How he came up with his stage name remains uncertain. Conway Twitty's career caught fire when a radio station declined to play "I'll Try," the A side of a 1958 single, and gave repeated spins to the killer bee "It's Only Make Believe." Listeners thought they were hearing a song by Elvis using a different name. It took nearly a year but "Make Believe" eventually topped the Billboard pop chart and went to #1 in 21 other countries. Conway eventually gravitated to country music and became a hall of famer, holding the record for many years for the most #1 ranked country singles of any act, 55 to be exact!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh oh thanks my dear you're inimitable too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your site, but honestly tell you that you need more for him to monitor those who commented with your records

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, you site is very funny he told me to cheer up .. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Нло и непознанное http://taini-nlo.ru

    ReplyDelete
  10. Супер современные новости http://новостипланеты.рф

    ReplyDelete
  11. Добро пожаловать на сайт http://эространа.рф качественные фото девушек.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Библиотека http://sunduchokknig.ru качаем книги здесь

    ReplyDelete

You talkin' to me?