CLOSE YOUR EYES. TAKE A DEEP BREATH. OPEN YOUR HEART.

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR
High School Yearbook Photo

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight
HELLO STRANGER ... IT SEEMS LIKE A MIGHTY LONG TIME!

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Perfect Storms: The 10 Most Exciting Records...Ever! (Part 11)

Now let's continue the countdown of the Most Exciting Records released by UK artists.

10. “Street Fighting Man" – Rolling Stones (September 1968)

I'll never forget the band that I witnessed performing this song at a subterranean watering hole in State College, PA. Those guys had not one but two machine gunning drummers and they performed a rendition of "Street Fighting Man" exciting enough to make Keith Richards fall out of a tree!



9. “Brown Sugar” – Rolling Stones (May 1971)

Bold and provocative as the Stones themselves, "Brown Sugar" spiced things up in the spring and summer of 1971. One of the most exciting releases among many by the bad boy band, the powerful, distinctive guitar riffs at the start of "Brown Sugar" enabled listeners to name that tune in nothing flat!



8. “She Loves You”- Beatles (February 1964)

"I Want To Hold Your Hand" ignited Beatlemania. "She Loves You" fanned the flames like bellows. Those first Beatles records that burned up the charts in the early weeks of 1964 hit young Americans like a one-two punch. I found "She Loves You" to be an even more exciting record than "...Hold Your Hand." Parents, teachers and clergy quickly mounted a campaign against the Beatles, calling them a bad influence on the nation’s youth. In the process, the guardians of our morals helped boost record sales by millions of units. If the church lady branded these good natured Liverpoolians as
evil doers, I wonder what she thought when gangsta rap came along!



7. “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” – Rolling Stones
(June 1965)

The international megahit “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” made super stars of the Rolling Stones. This Jaggernaut dominated the airwaves throughout the summer of ’65, spending four weeks atop the domestic record chart. This was the first Rolling Stones record that really gave me a jolt. Mick Jagger sneers, snarls and shouts. Keith Richards commits assault and battery with his wicked guitar riffs.
The tone of the song is bold, defiant, reckless and rowdy. The lyrics refer to cruising in a car, smoking cigarettes and hitting on women. What more could a 15 year old guy ask of a rock record? This Stones release was rougher, tougher and nastier than anything the Beatles had recorded to date. I also remember the song for its unusually long running time: 3:44. Radio programmers, jukebox vendors and record industry weasels frowned upon long songs because time is $$$. The Beatles got away with long songs and starting with “Satisfaction,” Mick and his mates did too!



6. “I’m Down” – Beatles (August 1965)

Beatle Paul risked shredding his vocal cords, ruining his voice, and having to find a day job when he recorded "I'm Down." The frantic rocker is said to be a nod to Little Richard, the self-proclaimed architect of rock 'n roll. Paul's raspy, shrieking vocal styling can also be heard on another of my Beatles favorites, "She's a Woman."



How on earth could any songs be more exciting than these? Don't miss my next post when I will reveal my top 5 -
The Most Exciting Songs by UK Artists...Ever!

Have a Shady day!

2 comments:

  1. First things first, Thanks again to Mr. Knight for this great Blog. I have been waiting for the right time to post my all time favorite Dell tunes. With you talking about the most exciting records to come out of the UK it is time for me to mention one of my all time Dell favorites. I would like to submit it for honorable mention even if on my list it would be top 20 or top 10 or may be in the top 5. this song did not get a lot of play time at the Dell because it was not a great dance tune. When we talk about the records on the Dell juke box no one has explained how they got there, I like to think it is a part of that old Dell Magic. This group came in under the radar and went on to be come a super group that still sells out shows today. This is one the songs that make up the sound track of my life. The group is the Moody Blues and the song is Go Now. Later as the time becomes right I will post more of my Dell favorites, till then I better Go Now. A DELL RAT ALL WAYS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greg, thank you so much for your kind remarks and for submitting a favorite Dell song. I also remember this one playing at the Dell and have it filed in my memory bank along with "A Whiter Shade of Pale," another fine Dell slow dance single by another innovative British band, Procol Harum.

    ReplyDelete

You talkin' to me?