CLOSE YOUR EYES. TAKE A DEEP BREATH. OPEN YOUR HEART.

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR
High School Yearbook Photo

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight
HELLO STRANGER ... IT SEEMS LIKE A MIGHTY LONG TIME!

Monday, October 5, 2009

Lloyd Thaxton's Greatest Hits, Pt. 1

Last November when I posted my tribute to Philadelphia broadcast icon Hy Lit, I was unaware that another of my favorite television personalities had died the previous month.




Today, one year
after his passing,
I would like to
begin a seven
part tribute to
the inimitable
Lloyd Thaxton.







Lloyd Thaxton was a writer, announcer and producer who began hosting an American Bandstand style TV program in Los Angeles in 1961.

The Lloyd Thaxton Show became so popular that it went into national syndication in 1964. I became a Lloyd Thaxton fan and regular viewer by turning my rooftop antenna southward and watching the show on WJZ Channel 13 in Baltimore.

Although the format of The Lloyd Thaxton Show was based on Bandstand and featured teenagers from local high schools dancing to the latest records, Thaxton and his approach to the show were quite different.

Unlike Dick Clark who presented himself as buttoned-down, cool, calm and collected, Lloyd Thaxton was comical, zany and unpredictable.

In a radical departure from most TV programs of its day, The Lloyd Thaxton Show was, by and large, unscripted. That gave Thaxton the freedom to shake things up with ad libs, spontaneous jokes, comedy skits, and multifarious clowning.

While the teenagers danced in the background, Thaxton often provided a distraction by taking center stage and performing a lip-sync to the song being played.

In this clip from a Thaxton show that aired in August or September of 1966, Lloyd does his thing to "Get Away" a single that performed poorly stateside (Billboard #70) for the English recording act Georgie Fame & the Blue Flames.



Many of the songs Lloyd Thaxton picked for his comedy and lip-sync segments were in a novelty vein...

...allowing him the opportunity to don funny costumes and ham it up.

The Lloyd Thaxton Show also featured in-studio appearances by popular recording artists who lip-synced to their latest releases.

I have assembled for your enjoyment some of the most memorable songs from The Lloyd Thaxton Show.

Some of the songs stand out because I remember watching the actual guest recording acts performing them. Other songs sprang to mind because Thaxton used them in his comic lip-sync routines.

Collectively, I call them Lloyd Thaxton’s Greatest Hits.

Beginning with my next post I'll be presenting in chronological order the greatest songs from Lloyd's show.

Please join me next time for Part 2 of my salute to the late, great Lloyd Thaxton!

Have a Shady day!

2 comments:

  1. I wanted to send you a link to the Soul Clinics youtube video. We had a good run in the late 60's out of York Pa.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJVZuVOHItg&feature=channel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember going to a couple of your shows and I still have my copy of this 45. Great stuff! Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete

You talkin' to me?