CLOSE YOUR EYES. TAKE A DEEP BREATH. OPEN YOUR HEART.

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR
High School Yearbook Photo

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight
HELLO STRANGER ... IT SEEMS LIKE A MIGHTY LONG TIME!

Monday, July 20, 2009

---------- Happy Anniversary! --------------Shady Dell Music & Memories ----

Yes, our Shady Dell blog is one year old today.
Gosh, it doesn’t look a day over six months!

It has been exactly one year since the Shady Dell reopened at its new location...

...here at the corner of Blogspot and Cyberspace...





...one year since I began to exhort all Dell rats to join in the fun!









This blog has been a catharsis.

It has given me the opportunity to share with you my memories of the Dell and of John and Helen Ettline.

It has allowed me to express how much the people, the place, and the music meant to me.

It has been a fascinating journey...

...filled with surprises and wonderful new friendships.

As we head into our second year...

...there are many more memories to share and topics to explore.

To help us celebrate our first anniversary, let's look back at some of the unforgettable images that helped define the first year. As we take a stroll down memory lane, I would like to paraphrase the monologue from a popular movie.

The monologue seems a perfect fit because this blog came about when an inner voice directed me to construct my own Field of Dreams.

People will come, Del.

They'll come to your virtual Shady Dell for reasons they can't even fathom.

They'll turn up your driveway not knowing for sure why they're doing it.

They'll arrive at your door as innocent as children...
longing for the past.


“Of course, I won't mind if you look around,” you'll say. “It was once only 25 cents to get in and now it’s free!”

They would have passed over the money without even thinking about it, for it is money they have and peace they lack.

And they'll walk out to the patio and sit in shirtsleeves on a perfect afternoon.

They'll find they have reserved seats on the benches surrounding the dance floor where they sat when they were children and cheered their jukebox heroes.

And they'll watch the game of life...the game of love, laughter, tears, and uninhibited youth unfold right before their eyes.

and it'll be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters.

The memories will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces.

People will come, Del.

The one constant through all the years, Del...
has been music.


America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers.

It has been erased like a blackboard...

...rebuilt...

...and erased again...

and again...

...but music has marked the time.

This blog, these memories: they are a part of our past, Del.









They remind us
of all that
once was good
and it could be again.










Oh... people will come, Del.

People will most definitely come.

I sincerely thank you for coming...for your continued interest in what I am trying to do here.

I would also like to acknowledge a few of the wonderful friends that I have made along the way. Thanks to their encouragement and support, Shady Dell Music & Memories has not only survived, it has prospered.

I would like to start by thanking the members of the Ettline family for providing a wealth of information and anecdotes about John & Helen and the Dell.







I want to thank
Mr. Jerre
Slaybaugh.









Dell rat Jerre has been a loyal friend and avid supporter of this blog from the very beginning. Over the past twelve months he has generously shared many interesting and valuable recollections about the Dell of the early 60s, a period about which I knew very little.





I want to thank
Jim McClure,
Editor of the
York Daily Record.








Throughout the past year, Jim has been of tremendous help in publicizing and promoting Shady Dell Music & Memories by publishing articles about it in his newspaper and in his own York Town Square blog.






I want to thank
York Daily Record
columnist
Mike Argento.








Mike interviewed me and shared my comments and observations with his readers in a published article about the Dell and the Deroche family's decision to put it up for sale.




Last but
certainly not least...
I especially
want to thank
current Dell owner
Toni Deroche
and her family.







The Deroches have provided continuous Dell news updates, information, anecdotes, blog support and promotion.

In addition, Toni Deroche was responsible for all on site photography, contributing a series of stunning photographs of the Shady Dell as it looks in the new millennium.

These include pictures of the Dell house inside and out...

...the interior of the barn that was once the Dell's dance hall...

and the Dell grounds and parking lot.

Toni also captured images of old Dell signs, advertising posters, and other rare Dell artifacts.

All of these priceless, one-of-a-kind photographs were made available by the Deroches for exclusive exhibition here on Shady Dell Music & Memories.

The contributions made to this blog by the Deroches have been incalculable. I know that every reader of this blog joins me in expressing profound gratitude to Toni and her family.

Over the past year I hope that I have fulfilled my mission statement to educate those who know little or nothing about the Dell, to bring back memories for those of you who were actually there, and to give everybody something to think about and something to smile about.

That takes care of old business.
Year number two is already underway.

Wally and the Beav drop by in my next post.
You won't want to miss it.

In the coming year I'll be finishing my year-long countdown of the 200 Greatest Hits of the Shady Dell. I'll also be counting down the 10 Most Exciting Records Ever Made. I'll have special tributes to Lloyd Thaxton and Jerry Blavat, more from the Cruisin' series, new episodes of the D-Team and much more. I hope that you'll stay around!

Thanks again for hanging out with me and hanging in there with me.

Have a Shady day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You talkin' to me?