CLOSE YOUR EYES. TAKE A DEEP BREATH. OPEN YOUR HEART.

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR
High School Yearbook Photo

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight
HELLO STRANGER ... IT SEEMS LIKE A MIGHTY LONG TIME!

Thursday, April 30, 2009

On the Record: Dynamite Duo Does Double Duty at the Dell!

xxx
'Twas the spring of 1966 and

the Dell hits just kept on comin'!


The music explosion included another colossal Dell two-sider, “Hold On! I’m a Comin’” b/w “I Got Everything I Need” by the Dynamite Duo, Stax soul men Sam & Dave. This powerhouse single is in the top 5 on my list of the highest ranked 2-sided hit records at the Dell!


“Hold On! I’m a Comin’” fell just short of the nationwide top 20 on Billboard, but vaulted into that exclusive club on my Greatest Hits of the Dell survey.



The 45's killer bee “I Got Everything I Need” shares a top 20 Dell ranking. In a classic case of Shady's Law (the greater the song, the lower the chart position), the fab flip never showed up on the Billboard chart. This awesome ballad is Memphis soul at its best, and it's Shady Del's Pick to Click!



"Hold On" and "I Got Everything I Need" turned up in the Dell's jukebox in April of 1966. Like several other spring arrivals that I have been showcasing, these back-to-back barnburners remained popular at the Dell all the way through the warm weather months.


By the time school bells rang in September, yet another
Sam and Dave double-sider was rocking the Shady Dell.
“Said I Wasn’t Gonna Tell Nobody” was a crowd-pleaser
that flooded the floor with dancers several times each night.
Soon after the rat pack discovered it, the killer bee “If You Got the Loving (I Got the Time)” became another slow dance fave at the Dell.


In January of 1971, the Miller Brewing Company launched an advertising campaign for its High Life brand of suds with the slogan, “If you’ve got the time…we’ve got the beer.” Every time I heard that slogan, I wondered if the agency Mad Men were influenced by and referencing Sam & Dave’s “If You Got the Loving (I Got the Time).”



“Said I Wasn’t Gonna Tell Nobody” and “If You Got the Loving (I Got the Time)” were two more evenly matched Dell hits, both occupying positions in the prestigious Shady Dell Top 40. Both of these great Sam & Dave songs played in heavy rotation on the Dell’s barnbox throughout the fall of 1966.

The following year, Sam & Dave placed two more of their recordings among the 200 Greatest Hits of the Shady Dell.


At #173 on my list of the Dell's Greatest Hits is "Soul Man," Sam and Dave's biggest Billboard hit and their signature song.


"Soul Man" was spinning gold at the Dell during September
of 1967 at the tail end of my 22-month survey period. I flew the coop for college while this on was still hot in the Shady.



The song that I found every bit as soul satisfying was the shouting, down-tempo killer bee “May I Baby” which landed
at #137 on the Dell 200.


I'm sorry but there is no clip available for "May I Baby."


1968 is beyond the scope of my Top 200 Dell Songs survey, but I just wanna testify that Sam & Dave were still going strong that year.


The duo scored three more big Dell hits, starting in January of ’68 with their top 10 Billboard charter “I Thank You” b/w the fabulous killer bee, “Wrap it Up.”





In December of ’68, Sam & Dave were packing more Dell dynamite.


“Soul Sister, Brown Sugar,” which fell just short of the national top 40, packed the dance floor on a nightly basis well into the new year.




The evidence is in. I rest my case.

Sam & Dave were two of the most exciting soul shouters of the 60's. They were major contributors to the Dell soundtrack and to our Dell experience.

Have a Shady day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You talkin' to me?