CLOSE YOUR EYES. TAKE A DEEP BREATH. OPEN YOUR HEART.

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR
High School Yearbook Photo

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight
HELLO STRANGER ... IT SEEMS LIKE A MIGHTY LONG TIME!

Monday, March 23, 2009

The Righteous Brothers - Blue-Eyed Soul & Inspiration (Part 2)

I have every confidence that the Righteous Brothers were steady hit makers at the Shady Dell in the months and years before I showed up on the scene.

One of my favorites by Bill and Bobby was “Unchained Melody” a song that went into heavy rotation on WSBA in July 1965 and duked it out with “Satisfaction” for summer supremacy.

Trouble is, Hollywood ruined “Unchained Melody” for me when the love ballad became the theme of the blockbuster chick flick Ghost and suffered a severe case of media overexposure. The ghostly tie-in also changed my memory of the song. Before 1990 and Ghost, "Unchained Melody" always reminded me of floating in my back yard pool.





Now, every time I hear it, my mind conjures images of teary-eyed Demi and that blasted wet clay!




Look at me now!....






I'M
ALL
VERKLEMPT!










It sure would be swell if Tinseltown and the Mad Men would stop contaminating our memories by turning cherished boomer classics into movie themes and commercial jingles for toilet bowl cleaners and itch ointments!

All was not lost, however, because there was a lot to like on the flip side of "Unchained Melody."

The killer bee, “Hung on You,” steadily grew on me over the years and is now one of my all-time faves, surpassing “Unchained Melody.”



"You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feelin’” was the Righteous Brothers biggest hit and for decades has been played to death on oldies radio. After I heard the song a thousand times, listener fatigue set in.

Let's bottom line it. While I enjoy listening to "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" occasionally, there are many other Righteous Brothers songs that I like better and never get tired of hearing, like "Just Once in My Life," the Phillies release that followed "Lovin' Feelin'" in April of 1965.



And last but not least, let’s go way back to the Moonglow years and listen to Shady Del’s Pick to Click.

From May 1963, one of the most exciting records of the rock ‘n roll era, the Righteous Brothers’ version of “Little Latin Lupe Lu.”



In 1983, I was fortunate enough to be in attendance when Bill Medley & Bobby Hatfield performed before a SRO crowd at a concert venue in Valley Forge. The Righteous Brothers were still sensational, still testifyin’, and they received several standing ovations.

Sadly, 20 years later, rock 'n roll heaven sent for another one of the greats. Bobby passed away unexpectedly just minutes before a scheduled concert in 2003. Bill sang solo at Bobby's funeral.

The Righteous Brothers: major contributors to the soundtrack of our youth.

Thanks, guys!

Have a Shady day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You talkin' to me?