CLOSE YOUR EYES. TAKE A DEEP BREATH. OPEN YOUR HEART.

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR
High School Yearbook Photo

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight
HELLO STRANGER ... IT SEEMS LIKE A MIGHTY LONG TIME!

Thursday, February 5, 2009

On the Record: Choose Your Boogaloos! (Part 1)

Ain’t no doubt about it, R&B great Don Gardner wails! As Joe Niagara, the Rockin’ Bird of Wibbage might have said, “this cat takes a toe hold, cuts from the heels and POW!

Don Gardner hit the jackpot in June of 1962 when he teamed up with Dee Dee Ford to record “I Need Your Loving,” a rip-snorting’ duet that broke the top 20.



When it comes to Don Gardner’s gravel-voiced soul shouting, more is definitely better. That’s why I made a point of getting the 5-minute extended version of "I Need Your Loving" on compact disc.

Meanwhile, 42 years ago today, this was rockin' you!

Don Gardner came roaring back in January and February of 1967 with “My Baby Likes to Boogaloo.” I'll be the first to admit that I was clueless. I didn’t know my soul as well as I thought. For more than 35 years, the only version of “My Baby Likes To Boogaloo” that I had ever heard of was the one by the Emperors of Harrisburg. That changed a few years ago when I was listening to a web-based soul oldies program. Don’s blistering original rendition of the song came on and knocked my socks off! Don Gardner’s version of “My Baby Likes To Boogaloo” is flat-out, no-nonsense, funky, low-down, snake-in-the-grass, snappin’ ‘n snarlin’ R&B at its nastiest, chillenz.



It’s a mystery and a shame that this Don Gardner masterpiece, easily one of the most exciting performances ever put on record, only managed to reach position # 126 on Billboard’s Bubbling Under chart! It’s further proof of Shady’s Law: the greater the song, the lower the chart position.

No, not Motown…Tru-Glo-Town!

A brief sidebar about Tru-Glo-Town and its eye-catching apple green label. As was the case with Bang Records and the Co & Ce imprint, the Englewood, New Jersey-based Tru-Glo-Town label was named after the company’s founders. TRU = Trude Heller. GLO = Gloria Toote. TOWN = Ed Townsend. Tru-Glo-Town 501 is one of the most buzzworthy and sought-after soul 45s in the collecting world. Fierce bidding wars have erupted on eBay in recent years every time a copy is offered in auction. I learned the hard way that northern soul enthusiasts in the UK and throughout Europe have very deep pockets when it comes to snatching up American-made singles like as this one!

(to be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment

You talkin' to me?