CLOSE YOUR EYES. TAKE A DEEP BREATH. OPEN YOUR HEART.

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR
High School Yearbook Photo

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight
HELLO STRANGER ... IT SEEMS LIKE A MIGHTY LONG TIME!

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Danger - Killer Motown Girl Group Dead Ahead! (Part 1)

The Marvelettes were one of the underappreciated Motown girl groups living in the shadow of the highly successful Supremes. The Velvelettes shared the same plight. The Marvelettes were major contributors to the Shady Dell soundtrack during much of the 60s.

The Marveletes single "Don't Mess with Bill" began a 12-week run on the Billboard chart on the first day of January, 1966. The song eventually broke into the top 10 and became one of the group's biggest hits.


“Don’t Mess With Bill” was one of the most memorable jukebox gems during my early months at the Dell, and it ranks high on my Dell's greatest hits survey.

With its feminine P.O.V., "Bill" quickly caught on with the Dell girls. Two, sometimes three Dellettes at a time would venture out on the floor and dance together while singing the lyrics.

That was a common sight at the Dell: pairs or triplets of girls dancing together. In fact, there were only a few guys there that I remember as smooth, confident dancers. The rest of us were either faking it or, in my case, hanging out on the sidelines.

This was especialy true during my first few weeks of Delldom, before I got my mojo workin'. I guess you could say that I was more Mickey Mouse than Dell rat. I was your basic wallflower, the shy violet of Violet Hill, falling back to a defensive position and watching other people dance...just wishin' and hopin' and thinkin' and prayin'... plannin' and dreamin' that somehow, (maybe by magic), the action would come to me!

There I stood each night, hour after hour, back against the wall - insecure - but trying to cover by posing, posturing and pretending to be cool. I watched and waited. Occasionally, just to mix things up a bit, I waited and watched.

People started hangin' their coats on me!

I got no respect.....no respect at all, I tell ya!

To top it off...at the end of the night I had the distinct privilege of waving bye-bye as the dashing, debonair, dancing dude exited stage left with the girl on his arm...sometimes two girls!

Rope-a-dope.....great strategy, Del. Stick with it!

(to be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment

You talkin' to me?