CLOSE YOUR EYES. TAKE A DEEP BREATH. OPEN YOUR HEART.

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR
High School Yearbook Photo

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight
HELLO STRANGER ... IT SEEMS LIKE A MIGHTY LONG TIME!

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

200 Greatest Hits of the Shady Dell Part 3 (#180 to #171)

Before I resume the countdown, I would like to honor a few more great Dell songs that narrowly missed the Top 200:

Bubbling Under
The 200 Greatest Hits of the Shady Dell

250. "Snoopy VS. The Bed Baron" - Royal Guardsmen (December '66)
239. "Talk Talk" - Music Machine (November '66)
237. "Heaven Must Have Sent You" - Elgins (October '66)
221. "Love Makes The World Go Round" - Deon Jackson (February '66)
216. "I Need Somebody" - ? (Question Mark) & The Mysterians (November '66)
205. "Strawberry Fields Forever" - Beatles (March '67)

If you've been struggling with previous lyric lists, here's a chance to improve your score. Most of these songs were biggies, not only at the Dell, but across the nation. Here are this week’s song lyric clues. Name those tunes!

"Children, behave!"

give me my propers when you get home

Sheriff John Stone
Why don't you leave me alone?

In the shelter of your love, my strength I found
But now I’m useless

I'm beginning to think that man has never found
The words that could make you want me

you give me the joy this heart of mine
has always been longing for.

Pleasant memories are comin' back to me
Can't you remember the way it used to be

grab the rope, and I'll pull you in

The time to hesitate is through

(#171 is a high energy instrumental by the Emperors with laughter in the background along with various shouts including “Alright!" "How ya doin’?" and "Show you how to do it!”)

(end of clues)


Remember the grading scale:

All 10 right – Congratulations! You’ve been appointed dean of the College of Musical Knowledge

7-9 right – Licensed lyric lover

4-6 right - Lyrically challenged

1-3 right – Sign up for remedial classes at the School of Rock

0 right – You just dance and hum along!


Now, here are this week's 10 Shady Dell countdown songs:

180. "I Think We're Alone Now" - Tommy James & The Shondells (February '67)

179. "Respect" -Aretha Franklin (May '67)

178. "Sloop John B" - Beach Boys (April '66)

177. "Helpless" - Kim Weston (March '66)

176. "Cherish" - Association (September '66)

175. "Bernadette" - Four Tops (March '67)

174. "Hey Baby (They're Playing Our Song)" - Buckinghams (September '67)

173. "Soul Man" - Sam & Dave (September '67)

172. "Light My Fire" - Doors (June '67)

171. "Mumble Shing-A-Ling" – Emperors (July ’67)

Do you have a Shady Dell Top Tunes list of your own that you would like to share? I'd love to see it, especially if it covers a different period of Dell history. It doesn't have to contain 200 songs; even a Top 10 would be interesting and instructive. Submit your Dell's Greatest Hits list in the form of a comment and I'll get it posted.

Have a Shady day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You talkin' to me?