CLOSE YOUR EYES. TAKE A DEEP BREATH. OPEN YOUR HEART.

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR
High School Yearbook Photo

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." - Shady Del Knight
HELLO STRANGER ... IT SEEMS LIKE A MIGHTY LONG TIME!

Thursday, August 21, 2008

200 Greatest Hits of the Shady Dell Part 2 (#190 to #181)

Before we get to our lyrics quiz and countdown songs of the week, I would like to recognize a few of the great Dell songs that didn’t make it into the Top 200.

Bubbling Under
The 200 Greatest Hits of the Shady Dell

246. "Bus Stop" - Hollies (July '66)
238. "Hip Hug-Her" - Booker T. & The MG's (April '67)
232. "My World Is Empty Without You" - Supremes (January '66)
227. "Gimme Little Sign" - Brenton Wood (August '67)
210. "19th Nervous Breakdown" - Rolling Stones (March '66)
204. "Penny Lane" - Beatles (March '67)

I'll be saluting more Dell songs from my Bubbling Under list in the weeks to come.


Time to put yur music I.Q.
to the test with the
second batch of Shady Dell
songs in the countdown.
Read the lyrics and
name those tunes!

Here are this week's lyric clues:


I can't blame you for tryin'
I'm tryin' to make it to
I've got one little hang up baby
I just can't make it without you

No football hero or smooth Don Juan
Got empty pockets
You see I'm a poor man's son

I'm fightin' hard to hold my own
No, I just can't make it all alone
I'm holdin' on, I can't fall back
Now that big brass ring is a shade of black

All the windows are painted black
And wait right here until you come back
I'll keep waiting, waiting
Until your face again I see

I walked on over and I asked her to dance
Thinkin' maybe later on we'll make with romance

It's been so long
Since you've been gone away
And baby when you come back
You'll be home to stay

Well my doctor told me beware
I'm taking more than my share
Falling in love I can bear
Provided that loving affair
But he don't know about you
And all the things that you do
And how it breaks me in two
Just to know a man's with you

As best I can, I'll always try
To reassure & satisfy
'Cause I'd be lost if you went away

Not this time
Not with me
You had your fun
Now set me free

We're out there on the floor, y'all,
goin' to a go-go

(end of clues)


Remember the grading scale:

All 10 right – Congratulations! You’ve been appointed dean of the College of Musical Knowledge

7-9 right – Licensed lyric lover

4-6 right - Lyrically challenged

1-3 right – Sign up for remedial classes at the School of Rock

0 right – You just dance and hum along!


Here are the next 10 songs in the Greatest Hits of the Shady Dell countdown:

190. "Poor Side Of Town" - Johnny Rivers (September '66)

189. "Uptight (Everything's Alright)" - Stevie Wonder (December '65)

188. "Beggin'"- Four Seasons (March '67)

187. "7 Rooms Of Gloom" - Four Tops (May '67)

186. "Sweet Pea" - Tommy Roe (June '66)

185. "Dry Your Eyes" - Brenda & The Tabulations (March '67)

184. "Can't Get Enough Of It"- Spencer Davis Group (April '67)

183. "Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever" - Four Tops (June '66)

182. "Rumors" - Syndicate Of Sound (August '66)

181. "Sweet Soul Music" - Arthur Conley (March '67)

Do you have a Shady Dell Top Tunes list of your own that you would like to share? I'd love to see it, especially if it covers a different period of Dell history. It doesn't have to contain 200 songs; even a Top 10 would be interesting and instructive. Submit your Dell's Greatest Hits list in the form of a comment and I'll get it posted.

Have a Shady day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You talkin' to me?